How do I know for sure my PC supports 5 or 7 channel audio

jachin99

jachin99

I'm having a lot of trouble getting dolby digital or even PCM to light up on my AVR while playing media through my PC using ANY software.  I have an AMD Video card that I have connected to the AVR via HDMI, and I have tried using a HiFi Diy USB DAC without any luck.  When I look through the properties and configuration tab for the HDMI connection via playback devices, I don't see anything but stereo listed as a supported format for that HDMI connection.  When I do the same for the USB DAC it lists AC3, DTS, etc but I'm thinking it only does so because the DAC isn't reporting its capabilities to Windows.  When I hit test for those formats under the properties tab for the DAC, nothing plays.  I suspect I might need a sound card but how can I confirm my current hardware doesn't support my desired capabilities.

jachin99

My graphics card, my USB DAC, and I think something speakers or something similar to that.  I'm not in front of my machine at the moment, and I can give you a more specific answer when I get home if needed.  Thanks

jachin99

I think it lists the driver for the HDMI connection so its something like AMD Audio device.  I've never seen it identify the reciever as the AVR.  I should have added that I have an external AMD graphics card, and that is the HDMI connection I speak of.  So I have the PC hooked to the AVR via HDMI, and the AVR hooked to the TV via HDMI.  It looks like I have to be in front of my gear to be specific so I'll check later tonight to see what it is for sure

Guest asrequested

Oh, I thought you said external? So it's just a regular video card? Then your receiver should be listed when you connect an hdmi from it to your receiver. Sometimes it'll be listed as the TV you've connected to. Can you listen through your TV?

Guest asrequested

Make sure that your computer does not think that the TV is the audio device. Otherwise everything will downmix to stereo. And check that your AVR is being identified in your device list. Because you're connected to your TV, also, your TV will be listed as a separate device. Make sure your default device correctly chosen.

jachin99

The Graphics card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 and the audio device for my AVR is listed as HDMI this

Digital Audio (HDMI)

High Definition Audio Device

For my DAC it lists:

SPDIF Interface

U2 Async DAC

jachin99

I downloaded the AMD driver detection tool, and resinstalled the graphics card's software and drivers, and now my HDMI input shows the PC being capable of the standard 5.1,61, etc. formats BUT the speaker icons won't light up on my AVR anymore, and I can't get any sound from the PC.  Its telling me that the audio is in use by another program when I try to play test sounds.  I dsabled the option to give devices exclusive access but I still have the same problem.  I can't see anything under services that looks like it might be the culrprit.  Where should I go next with this?

jachin99

I tested this out. Nothing will play with the HDMI input selected and the sound bars won't move and I get a messages saying the audio device is in use. This sounds like driver issue to me but how should I investigate

Guest asrequested

The first thing I would try would be disconnect all external audio devices, select the onboard audio device and see if you get the same issue. Use a process of elimination to figure which device is causing the problem.

Edited by Doofus

jachin99

I disconnected the dac but can't disconnect HDMI because I'll lose video. I uninstalled all drivers and every audio device. I reran and driver detect and let it install everything and I have the same problem. The only other driver on the machine for HDMI is the windows audio driver which always reinstalls itself. I'll look at that thread but I don't think I have any kind of Dell audio thing in my CP

Guest asrequested
jachin99

Rolling back the drivers (Which has been suggested by many) WILL give me sound back but NOT 5.1 or 7.1 like I am after.  I could keep chasing this issue but I'm seriously considering a new sound card just to save all of the time and hassle.  If said sound card had an Optical or coax digital audio out, it would solve the HDMI conflict issue be routing the auido through a stand alone audio driver, correct?  I can also try to get PCM or some kind of surround audio out of this DAC but I'm not sure where to start with that. 

Guest asrequested

Optical only supports basic 5.1. Anything more than that, won't work. Buy a new video card, if you buy something new. You need it to support passing the audio through it. It sounds like the card you have is not doing so well.

jachin99

Finally fixed it!!  I was missing optional windows updates.  I had disabled auto updates after I got the machine to certain patch level but at the time I didn't have surround setup in that room.  I just assumed the whole way through that the AMD driver update would give me everything I need.  Here is a screenshot of the newly installed updates, and it looks obvious to me that the updates labeled media this, or media that were the ones missing but I could be wrong.  Either way, I was only missing 2 or three optional updates. 

59d10e6f7c2d8_Capture2.png

• Like 1