Separate Port for Forced Manual Logins

randomevents

randomevents

Howdy,

Another refugee from the Plex exodus here. One thing I really liked about the Plex Pass was the fast user switching for Plex Home. The blasé take on security was awful thou, but I digress. Emby's version is hands down a better offering (in network only pins for the win), with one exception; everyone sees the profile icons in and out of network.

I was wondering if a method that keeps your focus on user side validation might be to have a port that's specifically for manual logins. I just thought of this 5 minutes ago so bear with me. It would be an option, with the default being as it is now. I imagine that in practice where needed, admins would switch them so the manual port is 8096 (or standard port) and then point home users with reverse proxy or directly if the former isn't an option.

I think this could be useful for people like me that share with some friends, or the people that need a thousand devices for premium (I'll need to get the 45 add on once I switch to lifetime after my migration because I need another 15 to be safe) for some reason or another.

• Like 1

mwongjay

For server with that many users it might be useful to separate the visibility of the users based on the port you expect requests through. For instance, if I know 2/45 users live with me, I only need to show 2 user accounts when a devices access Emby via the local in-network port. This can also be applied for external users accessing remotely.

randomevents

You know you can hide users from login screens, right? That's a per user setting you can configure.

Yes, I'm already doing that with my account that has admin privileges. What I want to do is keep my accounts out of view of friends, but still let the wife, kid, and myself have a measure of convenience. The work around might be running two servers, but I'm not sure how that'll affect a lifetime key with the 45 device add on.

Edit -: Looks like that is a viable alternative https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/36593-do-multiple-servers-need-multiple-lifetime-licences/

Edited by randomevents

that's kind of an extreme, no? i would if some kind of option to hide from login screens only when out of network would be useful.

darkassassin07

What about simply an option to not display the user list for wan connections? Making everyone external manually login, where as everyone on lan would still see the user list.

• Like 1

What about simply an option to not display the user list for wan connections? Making everyone external manually login, where as everyone on lan would still see the user list.

... some kind of option to hide from login screens only when out of network would be useful.

:)