Anyone know anything about UPSs

dcrdev

Surprisingly in all the time I've been building servers, I've never actually owned a UPS but the other day I became all too aware of the fragility of some of my equipment - due to a dodgy surge strip my router, modem and phone got wiped out. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy a ups in order to regulate and clean the power delivered to my equipment.

I did some research and from what I could ascertain, I needed a pure sine wave unit due to the active power management on my server grade 80+ platinum psu - from what I could gather, the psu would likely shutoff in the transition between live and battery power, if I did not opt for pure sine wave.

I opted to buy this unit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CyberPower-CP900EPFCLCD-Backup-Sinewave-Sockets/dp/B00BUJBD6K/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1506457829&sr=8-5&keywords=cyberpower&th=1

All appeared to be working well, until I did a test by flipping the circuit breaker. The unit did indeed switch to battery and all my equipment remained operational, however rather curiously during the switch the psu in my server decided to spin up it's fans. This is odd because the fans don't actually activate unless under 90% load or during initial power cycle, in this instance it behaved like an initial power on with the fans only spinning up momentarily.

Is this normal? This is one area where I know next to nothing - tried a Google search, but came up empty.

PenkethBoy

Don't get that issue with my APC UPS's

But that sounds like its the PSU having a problem 

Do you have another PSU to test?

I have some consumer psus, but they have always on fans - so it's hard to tell.

The psu in my server has pmbus monitoring - it's not showing any events, so not sure what to think. It's working, just not sure whether I need to be concerned or not.

mastrmind11

I have the same UPS and have not experienced that.  Try flipping the breaker again and watching the wattage number on the UPS, see if it spikes more than expected.

I did this and it did drop by about 5w each time, but interestingly after doing this several times it's stopped happening all together.

tdiguy

I wonder if there is a microsecond of a loss in power. enough for the intelligence in the PSU to think it just started up but not enough to really disrupt operation. Switches and relays are bouncy when analyzed with a good oscilloscope. If you have a oscilloscope you might be able to set up a rig to test it out and see if there is a brief drop in power while its switching.

Edited by tdiguy