Ubuntu 16.04 GPU transcoding

Cyberloard

Cyberloard

Hello everyone,

I have a little problem/question. I have a Ubuntu 16.04 machine running Emby version 3.2.32.0. I'm running into issues with the Nvidia NVENC transcoding aspect. I looks like the servers is just not using the GPU for some reason and is reverting to using CPU transcoding instead. Now I'll dive into the specs of this server as it maybe different then what most of you are expecting.

The server is a virtual machine running on ESXI 6.5. It has all the vmware tools installed. The VM has 4GB of RAM dedicated to it. There is physical GPU that has been passthrough to it. The GPU in question is a Nvidia  Quadro K600 with driver version 384.81, CPU is a Intel Xeon E3 1220 V3. Do note that this is a custom compile of FFMPEG, but I get the same results with the one provided with the Emby install I've attached a transcode log. Let me know if there are any other logs I can provide. It's not a big thing i'm just curious  as to why when transcoding does happen it's opting for the CPU and not the GPU

Hi @@Cyberloard. the ffmpeg build we are providing does not have nvenc libraries, so you need to bring your own ffmpeg and then set it up under the server's transcoding menu.

Cyberloard

Thanks for the input Luke. I have built my own ffmpeg from source with the right libraries. I actually went through the transcode logs and i think I found the part of the issues,maybe. I'm fairly new to this,but I see the server trying to use the h264_cuvid codec in the arguments it's passing. later in the log I see (h264_cuvid) -- h264(h264_nvenc)) so I've guessing that ffmpeg is switching over and the end result is a invalid argument error when opening the decoder. I though I attached the logs last time but it appears I didn't. This video is also 10-bit which is more then likely making things harder as well. 

ffmpeg-transcode-e62811ae-200c-4fa9-9d4e-f102b3cc5ded.txt

Edited by Cyberloard