Scanning slow on VPS with Google Drive

Coxeroni

Coxeroni

Dear Folks at Emby,

I recently set-up Emby on my VPS with Ubuntu 16.04 to test its performance against Plex. My media data resides at google drive which is mounted via either rclone or preferrably plexdrive (a fusermount implementation). I witnessed now that the scanning of my library (~5 TB) takes an awfull amount of time and is still running for 12 hours, sitting at ~70 %. Where can I see what the scanner is doing currently?

Is this slow scanning related to my files being hosted remotely or is Emby throttling the requests to TMDB/TVDB and the like? Does anyone else run a VPS setup and is able to share his/her experience?

If I use rclone instead of plexdrive the scanning seems to be faster (no wonder, direct access vs. cached access) but I am afraid to get banned by generating too many API hits. And right now, I don't want to cancel the scanning because last time this led to a lot of metadat not being loaded.

Thanks for your help or advice.

mastrmind11

Remote hosting is definitely going to slow things down, especially w/ fuse.  And yes, Emby throttles metadata requests due to the limitations set by the metadata providers.  However, 12+ hours for 5TB seems pretty excessive.  What other options do you have enabled for the initial scan?  Chapter image extraction and downloading of images ahead of time can slow things down considerably.

• Like 1

Coxeroni

Remote hosting is definitely going to slow things down, especially w/ fuse.  And yes, Emby throttles metadata requests due to the limitations set by the metadata providers.  However, 12+ hours for 5TB seems pretty excessive.  What other options do you have enabled for the initial scan?  Chapter image extraction and downloading of images ahead of time can slow things down considerably.

I checked both (chapters and preloading) so I guess I will need to be patient :)

mastrmind11

I checked both (chapters and preloading) so I guess I will need to be patient :)

Yep, but it's worth the wait ;)

Coxeroni

I quickly checked the log and there a lot of jpgs and subtitles (which I also wanted to be downloaded) seem to be saved. So obviously there is work going on, even if it0s slow.

Coxeroni

if you can provide an emby server log then we can provide some guidance over possible changes you can make. you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

Thanks Luke but so far it is not a problem :) Since I am new to Emby I was just puzzled whether the behaviour I witnessed is normal or what it was causing it. I was not sure whether the scanning has come to a halt or not, but it seems to its work steady but slow.

As I am doing an initial scan and requested a lot of stuff at once (subtitles, chapter images, preload all the crap) it takes long. I can perfectly live with that if it speeds up for future scans.

If I run into any problems in the future or if my scan goes south at any point, I will come back to you guys :)