Restore Not Restoring Everything across .net/.netcore versions

mwongjay

mwongjay

I was previously running Emby in a docker container and simultaneously on a Lubuntu vm with the Lubuntu server backing up to a shared volume. Backup and restore was working great tearing down/setting up environments for testing. Recently however, I was testing the dotnet core version to review the performance. I believe backups generated by the dotnet core version of the plugin do not capture all of the settings previously captured or corrupted the backups - not sure what's going on. I went to restore my dotnet core settings to my Lubuntu vm and tons of settings were missing. I had to revert to a previous backup a week earlier taken by the Lubuntu server and still had to configure all user accounts, live tv, transcoding, and advanced settings for remote access. I still have the backups I can send if necessary and would rather not post them publicly.

Happy2Play

@@Happy2Play have you seen this? I know you have tried it. Thanks.

No but I haven't done any cross version testing yet.  And only have a Windows environment.  But haven't seen any issue backing up or restoring in netcore on Windows.

@@mwongjay

Are you trying to restore a backup made in with the netcore backup plugin or from a stable/beta backup?

mwongjay

No but I haven't done any cross version testing yet.  And only have a Windows environment.  But haven't seen any issue backing up or restoring in netcore on Windows.

@@mwongjay

Are you trying to restore a backup made in with the netcore backup plugin or from a stable/beta backup?

Both servers are beta. The .net framework version had generated backups. I stopped that server and started the .net core version and did a restore from the .net framework backup. This worked fine. Made changes to settings. Switched back to the .net framework and did a restore from the backup generated by the .net core version and noticed user pictures were missing, advanced settings were set to defaults, transcoding was set to defaults, live tv was reset to default (no tuners, no guide data, etc). I then tried restoring from a version created by the same .net framework and it was as if either previous backups were corrupted or it wasn't reading the data correctly because it ended up doing the same thing using defaults for many settings. I tried 2 or 3 backups I believe before manually updating the settings. 

Happy2Play

Yes it should be fine other than plugin dll's. Can you try it? thanks !

You do get mixed result trying to restore over a existing installation (I believe that was @@mwongjay scenario).  But I didn't see any issues restoring from a clean installation.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

Example is Library NFO setting not carrying over to previously installed netcore from beta but Live TV-Settings did.  Not all stuff carriies over when trying to restore over and existing install.

**But I see why in the log.  Some of the setting aren't carried over do to some things not being setup all the way, even thought they are displayed  as configured in opposite version.

example from log

2017-09-27 10:11:03.101 Warn Server Configuration Backup: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Emby backups\Emby Backup - 2017-09-27 10.6.9 - Auto\fanart.xml not found

2017-09-27 10:11:03.105 Warn Server Configuration Backup: C:\Users\Media\Desktop\Videos\Emby backups\Emby Backup - 2017-09-27 10.6.9 - Auto\metadata.xml not found

Will do some more testing.

mwongjay

You do get mixed result trying to restore over a existing installation (I believe that was @@mwongjay scenario).  But I didn't see any issues restoring from a clean installation.

Yes, I was trying to restore over an existing installation, however, IMO the purpose of a restore should replace all settings with those from the backup regardless of clean/existing installation so it's odd to me that it does a partial restore.

Happy2Play

You would have to post logs of the issue.  As my results vary do to different configurations.  In my tests each config file was replaced that were available.

Not only does he need to report logs to get more assistance, but in this case he's using testing builds and therefore we are assuming that he's using them because he wants to help test and report issues.

mwongjay

Not only does he need to report logs to get more assistance, but in this case he's using testing builds and therefore we are assuming that he's using them because he wants to help test and report issues.

That is correct. I've been using the beta builds and have been reporting problems when I encounter any if they haven't been reported or add my input in those topics.

server-log.txt

server-log1.txt

Happy2Play

Item not restored as they are not found

Line 422: 2017-09-24 22:58:59.104 Warn Server Configuration Backup: /mnt/Backup/Emby/Emby Backup - 2017-09-24 12.10.0 - Auto/branding.xml not found
	Line 429: 2017-09-24 22:58:59.156 Warn Server Configuration Backup: /mnt/Backup/Emby/Emby Backup - 2017-09-24 12.10.0 - Auto/timers.json not found
	Line 430: 2017-09-24 22:58:59.158 Warn Server Configuration Backup: /mnt/Backup/Emby/Emby Backup - 2017-09-24 12.10.0 - Auto/seriestimers.json not found

And User issue

Line 526: 2017-09-24 22:59:01.476 Error Server Configuration Backup: XXXX Could not find target user null to restore user data.

Can we try to breakdown what you are not seeing Restored.  You can see everything being restored in the log except these items.

mwongjay

Item not restored as they are not found

Line 422: 2017-09-24 22:58:59.104 Warn Server Configuration Backup: /mnt/Backup/Emby/Emby Backup - 2017-09-24 12.10.0 - Auto/branding.xml not found
	Line 429: 2017-09-24 22:58:59.156 Warn Server Configuration Backup: /mnt/Backup/Emby/Emby Backup - 2017-09-24 12.10.0 - Auto/timers.json not found
	Line 430: 2017-09-24 22:58:59.158 Warn Server Configuration Backup: /mnt/Backup/Emby/Emby Backup - 2017-09-24 12.10.0 - Auto/seriestimers.json not found

And User issue

Line 526: 2017-09-24 22:59:01.476 Error Server Configuration Backup: XXXX Could not find target user null to restore user data.

Can we try to breakdown what you are not seeing Restored.  You can see everything being restored in the log except these items.

The items that were not restored:

1. User pictures only. The other user settings were fine.

2. Emby Premiere key

3. Transcoding - hardware acceleration was set to None (was previously Nvidia)

4. Transcoding - Deinterlacing method

5. Advanced - custom cert path was blank (previously use ssl)

6. Public https port number set to 8920 (previously was set to 443)

7. Report https as external address unchecked (previously was checked)

8. External domain name was blank

9. Live tv showed no tuners (previously had 2)

10. Live tv guide providers showed no guide provider (previously had SD)

Edited by mwongjay

Happy2Play

Configured beta,backed up then Restored to netcore

1) Pictures do return eventually

2) Restored

3) Restored

4) Restored

5) Restored

6) Restored

7) Restored

8) Restored

9) Don't have livetv

10) Don't have livetv

Cleared all setting for beta back to default then created backup of net core and restored to beta

1) Pictures do return eventually
2) Restored
3) Restored
4) Restored
5) Restored
6) Restored
7) Restored
8) Restored
9) Don't have livetv
10) Don't have livetv

Did restores directly into same versions without issues also.

Only difference I can say would be I am on Windows and tested on same machine.

If this is just a restore over each version I am not seeing a issue.

There are some things that don't get handled by the backup plugin, simply because the features came after the advent of the plugin and they haven't been added yet.

Did you restart the server right away when the plugin prompted you to? if you don't then that could explain this.

mwongjay

There are some things that don't get handled by the backup plugin, simply because the features came after the advent of the plugin and they haven't been added yet.

Did you restart the server right away when the plugin prompted you to? if you don't then that could explain this.

Each time I restored Emby restarted automatically. I will say it restarted rather quickly, a lot faster than I have seen it in the past.