Whose got the baddest (hardware wise) Emby server in town?

iamspartacus

iamspartacus

Having just recently migrated my Plex setup over to Emby, I'm wondering what kind of servers people are working with here.  With Plex I regularly had 6-10 users per night streaming (about 75% of those transcodes) simultaneously with regular sync/conversion transcodes happening every night with no hangups on my Xeon D-1541.  Can I expect the same with Emby?

Who else puts their server to work and with what kind of hardware?  What has your experience been like?

Edited by iamspartacus

pir8radio

Having just recently migrated my Plex setup over to Emby, I'm wondering what kind of servers people are working with here.  With Plex I regularly had 6-10 users per night streaming (about 75% of those transcodes) simultaneously with regular sync/conversion transcodes happening every night with no hangups on my Xeon D-1541.  Can I expect the same with Emby?

Who else puts their server to work and with what kind of hardware?  What has your experience been like?

I hear @@pir8radio running for the keyboard... :D

lol,  Uh the most concurrent all transcodes I've had was 16, I gave up testing more than that because I would need clients at multiple locations, for bandwidth.   My hardware info is in my post signature.   I also run behind cloudflare and my own NGINX proxies. My server sits off site in a data center with two 1gb internet connections. I do all of my transcodes from an xenon processor, however if I had it to do over again I would look into one of those GPU servers loaded with a few Nvidia cards.    

Any particular stats you are looking for?   :D

Edited by pir8radio

Why must you all create threads like this?

Is it simply to torture me?

Must resist the Dark side...

You only need equipment to meet your needs.

Anything else is pure overkill :D

BAlGaInTl

You only need equipment to meet your needs.

Anything else is pure overkill :D

Yes... but having hardware that currently meets my needs doesn't help any with the drooling...

:D

I need to get back on my "budget" rack project.  I have most of the stuff to do it now.

• Like 1

iamspartacus

lol,  Uh the most concurrent all transcodes I've had was 16, I gave up testing more than that because I would need clients at multiple locations, for bandwidth.   My hardware info is in my post signature.   I also run behind cloudflare and my own NGINX proxies. My server sits off site in a data center with two 1gb internet connections. I do all of my transcodes from an xenon processor, however if I had it to do over again I would look into one of those GPU servers loaded with a few Nvidia cards.    

Any particular stats you are looking for?   :D

That's exactly what I was looking for.  I was able to do about 12 concurrent transcodes in testing on Plex so knowing that Emby can handle it tells me that the hardware will be the limiting factor so that's great.  Which Xeon's are you using (I assume you're using dual socket)?

You should always have far more than you need. And when you achieve that, buy more. I want to rebuild my server :D

This is so true.  I was future proof the heck out of my builds even though I know I'll be upgrading before I hit their limit :D.

Guest asrequested

I've thought about using dual Xeons for a while. Here's a question. Does Windows 10 support dual xeon processors? I don't really want to use win server.

I've thought about using dual Xeons for a while. Here's a question. Does Windows 10 support dual xeon processors? I don't really want to use win server.

All Windows 10 versions support upto 2 physical CPUs and upto 256 cores (x64 only), enterprise and server support slightly more.

iamspartacus

This I can't confirm.  While I have a Windows 2k16 domain at home, all my major services like Emby, etc. are on Linux VM's running on ESXi hosts and they can certainly utilize dual Xeons.

iamspartacus

Thanks guys. I'm definitely going to look at getting dual xeons, now :D

I've thought about it many times but being that my server (and rack) are at home and I want to limit power output (as it affects heat and thus noise) as much as possible I went with an all single socket Xeon D cluster.  25w-45w CPUs and i get pretty amazing results considering the power usage.

Guest asrequested

One of the reasons I've been thinking about this is using a server mobo. They have more PCIe slots. I need to do a bit of research. I may take a closer look at the ryzen CPUs.

pir8radio

That's exactly what I was looking for.  I was able to do about 12 concurrent transcodes in testing on Plex so knowing that Emby can handle it tells me that the hardware will be the limiting factor so that's great.  Which Xeon's are you using (I assume you're using dual socket)?

I have a dual socket server however I only have one cpu populated.   I've never needed more than 5-8 concurrent transcodes.   This is the CPU I run:  https://ark.intel.com/products/75266/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2470-v2-25M-Cache-2_40-GHz

iamspartacus

I have a dual socket server however I only have one cpu populated.   I've never needed more than 5-8 concurrent transcodes.   This is the CPU I run:  https://ark.intel.com/products/75266/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2470-v2-25M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Nice.  CPU Passmark of that looks pretty on part with my Xeon D-1541 so I'm glad to know I shouldn't have any issues with my CPU limiting me.

Overseer

This I can't confirm.  While I have a Windows 2k16 domain at home, all my major services like Emby, etc. are on Linux VM's running on ESXi hosts and they can certainly utilize dual Xeons.

I'm running Win2012R2 Essentials (but not in domain, using the connector instead) and have been contemplating moving up to 2k16 Essentials, which I have through the Microsoft Imagine program (formerly DreamSpark).  Is yours an upgrade from a prior server version?

ShadowBlade72

Hardware:

HP DL360

2x Xeon E5-2648L (8 core/16 thread) @ 1.8Ghz

128GB ECC RAM

4x 3TB SAS HDD

Drobo 5N NAS

5x 3TB SATA HDD

Software:

Proxmox

>Pfsense

>Organizr

>Emby

>Ombi

I have my domain setup though CloudFlare which points to my Squid reverse proxy which is on my PFSense box.