Moved from PLEX to Emby, but...metadata not working properly?

itchykill

Ok so basically they are detecting the extra folder layer. Yes that's something we can always look at, it shouldn't be that difficult. We just don't have that as of today. Thanks.

Coxeroni

Imho you should properly unrar your files to the root folder so you don't end up with serveral folders inside one another. Also in Plex it is and was important to follow the naming conventions. If this particular example worked in Plex, than it was more luck than anything else, because it does not follow their naming guide either.

itchykill

Coxeroni: I get what you're saying, but just need to remind you that this was not just one example. I've had to manually add metadata to hundreds of titles with Emby but where PLEX find mostly all of it. So I don't think that count as a little bit of luck?

Coxeroni

Coxeroni: I get what you're saying, but just need to remind you that this was not just one example. I've had to manually add metadata to hundreds of titles with Emby but where PLEX find mostly all of it. So I don't think that count as a little bit of luck?

Depends.... I don't know about your other examples but I do know these kinds of threads from the Plex forums and nearly always there was a mistake in naming that often the users themselves didn't spot at first place.

I don't know how emby handles identifying compared to Plex and it is possible that Plex does it better (or just different). Maybe emby only failed to fetch the meta data for the first time? Did you try auto searching for missing meta data available at library level?

Gesendet von meinem Telekom Puls mit Tapatalk

Gilgamesh_48

I am surprised that the naming that has been shown worked at all for Plex or Emby. They are not even close to what either seems to need.

In the FWIW category: Before I moved to Emby from Plex with nearly 3000 movies and 500+ TV shows (something over 40000 episodes) I had made sure that all my naming was 100% Plex compliant and when I moved to Emby I had to manually fix two movies and only one TV show. So it seems that if the naming is Plex compliant it will also work with Emby.

I am quite sure with Emby there is the same issue as there was with Plex: 

Just because an improper naming works (or worked in the past) is no guarantee it will work in the future. It is better, and easier in the long run, to simply name everything correctly in the first place. There are even a LOT of tools, like FileBot, that take almost all the pain out of naming both TV shows and Movies.

Just as a disclaimer I do not use separate folders for each movie but I do have sub-directories that contain multiple movies I want to keep grouped together for ease of maintenance at the file system level. My library is pretty large but my structure is pretty simple.

• Like 1