Schedule shows TV recording will start one minute late

lifespeed

lifespeed

The recording below is configured, like all the others, to start one minute before and end one minute after, per the defaults.  Yet in the schedule it shows the recording starting one minute after the hour.  Is this from the guide data?  Is it real?  I believe Emby does not include the pre- and post-padding when displaying the scheduled start and end times.

All the other scheduled shows show start and stop times on the hour and half-hour.

post-44858-0-00453700-1506050835_thumb.png

I like the way it is shown currently because that is when the show is on. I highly doubt there is anyone who wouldn't have default padding set up adding that it will just make it confusing. 

I like the way it is shown currently because that is when the show is on. I highly doubt there is anyone who wouldn't have default padding set up adding that it will just make it confusing. 

Even on the recording schedule tab?

The main reason I said that is there has be numerous times where I set something to record and then I looked at the recording schedule and say I will watch this live and just tune to that channel around that time. 

When looking at the actual instance of the recording that is scheduled, I do think it makes sense to show when the recording will actually start.

lifespeed

When looking at the actual instance of the recording that is scheduled, I do think it makes sense to show when the recording will actually start.

First, the original subject of the scheduled record time, which is apparently taken from the guide, was accurate.  It does seem the TV station really scheduled it to start one minute after the hour, as I observed the recording in real time.  The default one minute pre-record buffer meant it actually started at 9:00PM instead of the guide time of 9:01PM.  So this is, apparently, all working as intended.

As to how the recording times are displayed within the recording schedule, I agree with @@ebr.  I think as users we understand pre- and post-record buffers vs network scheduled programming times.  Viewing the record schedule and trying to visualize what the recorder will be doing, I think it does make sense to show the actual, configured record times including the selected buffer.  The guide times are readily available to view if that is what the user wants to see.  Things like recording conflicts are completely different when the buffer is included, so being able to easily see them is helpful.

Aaaaannnnndddd . . .  speaking of recording conflicts, addressing this difficult software task is also an important one to make Live TV recording a truly robust feature.  A related feature, an icon indicating a recording is active ALA WMC, has been requested in another thread.  It looks simple, but is incredibly helpful to alert the user one may not want to reboot and interrupt a recording.

Edited by lifespeed

lifespeed

We already have indicators for active recordings

You mean if I open Emby Theater and look in the "recordings" tab?  That requires a multi-step process, rather than noticing a recording icon in the Windows 10 notification area.  I should mention I run Emby server as a service, which seems to me the preferred way to run it, rather than requiring the server to always be logged in to run Emby.  So I don't have an Emby server icon there now, is that what you're referring to?

You don't have to drill down that far. Anywhere that programs are listed you'll see the red recording dot as well as the red progress bar indicating progress. Does that answer your question?

The dashboard also shows active recordings.

As for in the system tray, well, right now that would be Windows specific so it isn't done.  However, once the move to .net core is complete, it may become more realistic across platforms.

lifespeed

You don't have to drill down that far. Anywhere that programs are listed you'll see the red recording dot as well as the red progress bar indicating progress. Does that answer your question?

I'm familiar with that, yes.  I was thinking an indicator that did not require one to open an Emby client and check before rebooting would be convenient.  The notification area recording indicator was a feature of WMC that Live TV users came to appreciate.

Edited by lifespeed