High CPU usage

ThePaladinTech

ThePaladinTech

Hi - So I'm trying to use Emby as my DVR.  tonight I was recording three shows and the server was pretty unresponsive.  When I looked emby and ffmpeg were utilizing 12-13GB of ram and 99% of cpu.  The shows were in the process of being recorded. nothing was being watched at the time.  So is there a way to reign in this usage? 

ThePaladinTech

Hi Luke - not sure what ones to attach so here's a bunch - I tried to limit it down to ones that were timestamped around the time I saw the issue. I included a server.log from earlier as well.  The time in question was while I was recording / just finished these shows: America's got talent (2hrs) / The Five / and Worst cooks in america
I think it tried to record "the good place" but it's not showing up...

edit: and that time was around 9:45pm today (eastern standard time)

edit2: ffmpeg had 3 tasks running when I looked at task manager - that is why I am assuming it was recording three shows. it was also updating the program guide. but no one was watching anything.

server-63641462400.zip

Edited by ThePaladinTech

Hi @@ThePaladinTech. Have you considered turning off real-time conversions for recordings under Live TV settings. With three active recordings going on that means three simultaneous transcoding sessions, plus additional transcoding sessions for playback. That might just be a little too much.

You can turn off the conversion feature in the Emby Server dashboard under live tv settings. See if that helps. Thanks.

ThePaladinTech

Are you saying uncheck "automatically convert to a streaming friendly format"?

If I do that will they convert as a scheduled task?

Thanks Luke

Are you saying uncheck "automatically convert to a streaming friendly format"?

If I do that will they convert as a scheduled task?

Thanks Luke

Yes uncheck that box. No, they will not convert however you could accomplish this by using the Folder Sync feature. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but, it will get the job done.

We plant to make this much easier in a future update. thanks.

• Like 1

Yes uncheck that box. No, they will not convert however you could accomplish this by using the Folder Sync feature. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but, it will get the job done.

We plant to make this much easier in a future update. thanks.

Will unchecking this box still allow timeshifting playback of a show while it's currently recording? In general I'm not worried about how big the media files are as they're usually watched and deleted within hours or days of recording.