Pause button in the web app stopped working after latest update

Gilgamesh_48
Go to solution Solved by speechles,

Gilgamesh_48

After the latest update to ver 3.2.31.0 the "pause" button in the web interface has no effect.

The "stop" button works.

The "Send message" works.

The "pause" worked fine in the previous version.

I have tested with my Shield Pro, Fire TV and Roku Ultra and the results are exactly the same.

I have rebooted everything and thoroughly tested to assure that there is a problem, at least with my system.

The server log retrieved right after an attempt to use pause is attached.

This is not a big deal for me as I rarely use the web interface for interaction with my players but I thought I should report it as it could be a big deal to others.

server-63641526889.txt

Happy2Play

Only tested in web app, but had no issue pausing movies or episodes in Chrome.

Gilgamesh_48

Only tested in web app, but had no issue pausing movies or episodes in Chrome.

Yes. Playing videos from the web app itself works fine. The problem come when you are in the "Settings" screen and you attempt to pause content playing on another device by using the "Pause" button in the section under "Active Devices"

One other note: I have only one device playing when I test.

Happy2Play

Didn't have a issue pausing a movies playing on remote Chrome session.  The was tested via wan connection.

59c2ebc470c95_remote.jpg

I bet it is related to this warning luke gave earlier:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50889-playpause/

In this topic it is discussed about PlayPause being the new thing, since the apps can intelligently know whether to play or pause, without having to be told. So I think the old Play and Pause have become PlayPause and those apps cannot do anything with a command they do not yet understand. The blue neon app should have the same defect. I am correcting that defect as we speak, so it will understand PlayPause on all types audio, video and photo.

Edited by speechles

Happy2Play

Yep specific to apps.  Tested on Ember and Theater and pause only worked on Theater.

Gilgamesh_48

Didn't have a issue pausing a movies playing on remote Chrome session.  The was tested via wan connection.

All my connections are on the local network. No WAN involved and no remote playback. The tested devices and the server are all connected to the same network and are all hardwired.

As I said the "Stop" and the "Send message" buttons work fine.

Does my log show anything? I don't speak "log."

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

I bet it is related to this warning luke gave earlier:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/50889-playpause/

In this topic it is discussed about PlayPause being the new thing, since the apps can intelligently know whether to play or pause, without having to be told. So I think the old Play and Pause have become PlayPause and those apps cannot do anything with a command they do not yet understand. The blue neon app should have the same defect. I am correcting that defect as we speak, so it will understand PlayPause on all types audio, video and photo.

I want to restate that it worked in the earlier server and stopped in this version and at least two of the apps it worked in before have now stopped working therefore it is reasonable to assume that it is the server that changed something not the apps. 

Of course in technology "reasonable" does not always mean what it does in the real world but I really think that the server is where the problem lies.

Gilgamesh_48

I see the following lines in my logs right after I clicked the "pause" button:

2017-09-20 18:04:00.676 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.1.114:8096/emby/Sessions/4dee5132a286cc56a9b221d8b84590af/Playing/PlayPause. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.91 Safari/537.36
2017-09-20 18:04:00.676 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.122. Time: 0ms. http://192.168.1.114:8096/emby/Sessions/4dee5132a286cc56a9b221d8b84590af/Playing/PlayPause 
2017-09-20 18:04:01.222 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.1.114:8096/emby/Sessions/4dee5132a286cc56a9b221d8b84590af/Playing/PlayPause. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.91 Safari/537.36
2017-09-20 18:04:01.222 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.122. Time: 0ms. http://192.168.1.114:8096/emby/Sessions/4dee5132a286cc56a9b221d8b84590af/Playing/PlayPause 
2017-09-20 18:04:03.973 Info HttpServer: HTTP POST http://192.168.1.114:8096/emby/Sessions/4dee5132a286cc56a9b221d8b84590af/Playing/PlayPause. UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.91 Safari/537.36
2017-09-20 18:04:03.973 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to 192.168.1.122. Time: 0ms. http://192.168.1.114:8096/emby/Sessions/4dee5132a286cc56a9b221d8b84590af/Playing/PlayPause 
I do not know what that means but I sure it means something. ;)

Happy2Play

I want to restate that it worked in the earlier server and stopped in this version and at least two of the apps it worked in before have now stopped working therefore it is reasonable to assume that it is the server that changed something not the apps. 

Of course in technology "reasonable" does not always mean what it does in the real world but I really think that the server is where the problem lies.

Correct the change was in the server and the apps have to update this change for it to work again.  That was the reason for the post in the "Developer API" section.

The title of this topic is incorrect also as it work in some apps.  It us specific to apps that need updating.

You see from the snippet you posted "PlayPause" is the issue from linked post from speechles..

• Solution

Luke did his due dilligence. Five days he made an announcement regarding this change. He adapted his own suite of things to work with this new change.

But everyone else with apps, for shame.. *wags finger*

No other developers caught the ball. It was dropped. Apologies for the disruption.

<insert other sorry messages here>

@@ebr are your ears burning? About time to invite you to make use of this inference too. Update time...

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

Gilgamesh_48

Luke did his due dilligence. Five days he made an announcement regarding this change. He adapted his own suite of things to work with this new change.

No other developers caught the ball. It was dropped. Apologies for the disruption.

<insert other sorry messages here>

@@ebr are your ears burning? About time to invite you to make use of this inference too. Update time...

Well it is good to know I am/was not imagining things. 

I guess if I had only one device I would have posted in an app forum and the developer would have responded. 

I also would like to say that the title of this thread is not wrong it is just incomplete based on the information I now have but did not have when I posted. 

I never play, except when I test something, from the web interface so I do not even think about the play/pause button there so I reported the only pause button I use with all the apps I use as not working. 

I made as complete a report as I could and I am sorry if the title offended some people but I do not see it as "wrong" at all.

Well it is good to know I am/was not imagining things. 

I guess if I had only one device I would have posted in an app forum and the developer would have responded. 

I also would like to say that the title of this thread is not wrong it is just incomplete based on the information I now have but did not have when I posted. 

I never play, except when I test something, from the web interface so I do not even think about the play/pause button there so I reported the only pause button I use with all the apps I use as not working. 

I made as complete a report as I could and I am sorry if the title offended some people but I do not see it as "wrong" at all.

Just know, with regard to other developers, it wasn't intentional. Things don't always go according to the world of Garp, There are (several?) missteps along the way. I was under the impression luke and ebr communicated about everything in advance. This lends me to question that belief. Ebr is only human after all, and  they are two distinct people. This proves it, luke and ebr are not the same person. But that wasn't ever a question to anyone or was it, if so here is your answer.

The real question, is I am sure in "parenting you" that Happy2Play was merely mentioning it in passing. In case others wondered later on in the future what was going on here. You can see the title didn't exactly define the real issue, it was as you said based on missing information you didn't have and were after. So you made a guess, and everyone when guessing is entitled to mistakes. In fact so much, vegas wouldn't exist if guesses didnt lead to mistakes.

You did a great thing, you exposed a bug. You know how much people get paid to find bugs? With emby your reward is the bug gets fixed, but with other larger bugs that expose you to security issues you wouldve gotten paid from emby. So keep up the posts where you experience issues that no one else seems to be posting about. Things like this might get overlooked unless somebody spots them.

The report was as complete as the information you had at that moment so rest assured there is no problem with you posting similarly in the future. Like I said, take the "parentng" with a grain of salt, and I know at your age salt is bad, but there is only so much you can do here. You cant go back, you can only go forward. So all I am trying to do is just that.

As far as the issue here, other developers need the issues raised in their respective app threads. Anyone up to testing all the apps for this? Bueller? :D

Gilgamesh_48

I made a post in each of the two forums for the devices I have linking to this thread. I hope that helps some.

Both the Roku and Android TV/Fire TV apps have already been updated to account for this.  However, only in the beta for some of them because it takes a while to get things out via the stores.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Just updated latest Android Am by app however pause button has no effect, turns green but that is all. Casting to my Marantz (dlna). Stop button works fine

Now that you have done this, can you provide a server log from the pause button attempt? Thanks.