What player are shield users using?

Deathsquirrel

Deathsquirrel

Picked up a shield last night.  I'm using the android tv client but want to avoid transcoding.  I need a player that can handle vc-1 and pgs subs in my ripped MKVs.  I've tried VLC and MX Player so far but figured I'd ask y'all what you're using.

Deathsquirrel

I think most people are using the app's built-in player(s).

Have you tried that using the latest beta version?

Not yet but I'd planned on signing up for it.  I know it adds the subtitle support I need.   Does it handle vc-1 on the shield without transcoding?  It's about 10% of my movie collection and I'd really prefer not to mess with re-encoding them to h264 if I can avoid it.

Gilgamesh_48

I think most people are using the app's built-in player(s).

Have you tried that using the latest beta version?

Yep. I use the regular app's player and I only rarely see any transcoding. 

I do not even know how to get the Beta app on the Shield so I have not tried that on the Shield but the regular app works fine for me.

My server is powerful enough where transcoding is not an issue but I have been watching the Emby server closer than I normally would since I just recently moved from Plex to Emby and I want to be sure there are no unexpected issues.

I also watch on my Roku Ultra and with that I do see transcoding but that is expected since Rokus do not support many codecs.

BTW: With my library I do not see transcoding any more often on my Fire TV than I do on my Shield but I like the Shield's operation better than the Fire's. 

Of all my devices the Shield gives the best Emby experience and virtually no transcoding.

Does it handle vc-1 on the shield without transcoding?  

All other factors being compatible, yes it should.  However, that is a tough codec for anything other than a true HTPC so you might want to consider conversion anyway.

Deathsquirrel

All other factors being compatible, yes it should.  However, that is a tough codec for anything other than a true HTPC so you might want to consider conversion anyway.

Cool, I'll go ahead and get into the beta.  I'd MUCH rather use the built-in player.  The UIs on the others I've tried are a bit lacking to put it kindly.