Server list button when opening app and/or better handling for servers that sleep

darkassassin07

darkassassin07

I have recently configured my server machine to sleep the majority of the time waking when users request something of it.

The problem I am finding is when a user connects to the sleeping server via emby, the connection attempt wakes the computer but doesn't connect. The user has to then wait for the app to time out showing the server list and allowing them to retry. This process takes 30sec for timeout + the time it takes for the actual connection.

What do you guys think about a button on the loading screen you are met with when you first open the app while it connects to the usual server allowing the user to go the the server list immediately and either select a different server or retry right away.

Another option is to have the emby apps send multiple connection requests within a few seconds allowing for the server to wake and accept a connection.

Or maybe an option within apps to send a wol packet to the server a few seconds before the actual connection.

Tossing some ideas out trying to reduce my connection times :/

My server wakes within ~4sec, and connects from wan in 5sec when already awake. It seems unnecessary to be waiting 35sec when it only really takes 9-10

Edit: I have been doing a little bit of testing, every other service im running from that machine (ftp + web server) can be connected to from sleep with a single attempt, at least on the user end. Even embys webpage (http://<server url/IP> in browser) connects with one attempt.

It only seems to be the apps that have trouble. Not sure if that's a bug or a missing feature.

Edited by darkassassin07

What do you guys think about a button on the loading screen you are met with when you first open the app while it connects to the usual server allowing the user to go the the server list immediately and either select a different server or retry right away.

Don't we already have this by configuring the app  to not remember the last login?

darkassassin07

The button wasn't the best solution i guess, the point was to solve the fact users have to wait 30sec for the first connection to timeout if the server is asleep even if the server wakes and is ready much faster. Everything else i use remotely connects on the first try, only the emby apps seem to have this issue.

I guess this is more of a bug report than a feature request, I hadnt realized everything else works yet.