Possible to use system mounts (fstab)?

Burrito78
Go to solution Solved by Burrito78,

Burrito78

Hi there,

currently i'm using Emby for Kodi on OSMC with a Vero 4k with "Native (direct paths)" playback mode and NFS shares on Synology DS416play over a wired network connection.

Sometimes there is strange buffering and i would like to try mounting my shares in OSMC on the system level using fstab for optimal performance.

Is it possible with Emby for Kodi to use fstab mounts instead of the Kodi mounts that Emby for Kodi creates (using libnfs i suppose)? 

I found no option in the Add-on (v2.3.52) to change this.

Regards,

Burrito78

Burrito78

Thanks for the reply. Thats how it currently works, yes. I added the NFS paths of every library in the server settings and that just works.

But: Is it possible to use "local" media with Emby for Kodi, because if i mount the above paths on boot at system level (fstab) then the Kodi Add-on would have to look at the local mount point and not the NFS address.

As i said before its common knowledge that fstab currently has higher performance than the NFS/SMB mounts done by Kodi.

Angelblue05

No. How would that work? The addon only has knowledge of the path provided by the server. Unless I am misunderstanding you? If the path provided by the server matchses the mount then yes. Otherwise, no, it's not possible to do what you want.

You could probably set the network path to each of your library to match the mount in your emby server > library (three dots > manage folders). But for Emby for Kodi to update all your paths in Kodi, you'll need to do a repair sync by launching the emby addon in kodi. Maybe that will achieve what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Burrito78

Ok, i understand. 

Changing the network paths in the server makes no sense for me because that would kill playback on other clients that can't mount on os level like iOS.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm going to check different options now like editing buffers in Kodi's advancedsettings.xml or trying SMB sharing instead of NFS. Or maybe a future Kodi update (18) will improve libnfs performance.

Thank you!

Angelblue05

You could also maybe just use path substitution on Kodi? That would substitute the emby path to your mount. That could work without disrupting your other emby apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Solution
Burrito78

Good idea, didn't know about this.

So after mounting my media folder using fstab, i could just add this to advancedsettings.xml:

<advancedsettings>
 <pathsubstitution>
  <substitute>
    <from>nfs://192.168.2.2/volume1/media/</from>
    <to>/mnt/media/</to>
  </substitute>
 </pathsubstitution>
</advancedsettings>

And whenever Emby for Kodi tries to play a file from nfs://.... it instead plays the same file from /mnt/media...

• Like 3