New android box x265 10bit direct play

mattykellyuk

mattykellyuk

Hi all,

Recently brought a fire stick which wasn't able to direct play my x265 10 bit files. From my research this was to do with them being 10bit as other non 10bit x265 direct played fine.

I have found this box and seen good reviews. Its can play hdr10 and HLG so I assume my x265 10bit files could direct play.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX9-PRO-RK3328-Quad-Core-64bit-2G-16G-WIFI-BT-4-0-usb3-0-Android-7-1-TV-BOX-HD4K/122618581465?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks 

That is not a true Android TV device.  There is really no telling how it will perform or what will work properly or not.

The Shield is the best option but I know it is expensive.  A Mii 3 (the WalMart version) could be a good option though if that is available to you.

• Like 1

CarlosLima

these android tv box should not have enough processor to play h265 10 bit. I use a minipc intel nuc with the seventh generation processor, kaby lake and yes, it plays h265 10 bit perfectly.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Recently brought a fire stick which wasn't able to direct play my x265 10 bit files. From my research this was to do with them being 10bit as other non 10bit x265 direct played fine.

I have found this box and seen good reviews. Its can play hdr10 and HLG so I assume my x265 10bit files could direct play.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MX9-PRO-RK3328-Quad-Core-64bit-2G-16G-WIFI-BT-4-0-usb3-0-Android-7-1-TV-BOX-HD4K/122618581465?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Anyone have any experience or advice?

Thanks

You pay your money and take your pick :)

Save up for a Shield TV.

Not sure the official Xiami MiBox is available on the UK.

Doesn't the Fire TV gen2 do 4K?

Or, re-encode your content.

• Like 2

mattykellyuk

Great thanks for this advice. I have found a xiaomi mix box 3s, is this the one you were recommending? There's quite a few versions by the looks of it. The price isn't too far away from the box I linked above. Does anyone have one and know they can direct play x265 10 bit? Not necessary 4k as i have a lot of 1080p x265 10bits files.

Looks like it might play everything even dts? Most my stuff is x264 dts or x265 10bit. So most everything would play direct?

Thanks again

Edited by mattykellyuk

You have to be a bit careful because there are a few different boxes that are advertised as a MiBox 3 and only one of them is the actual Android TV device (model: MDZ-16-AB).

It should look like this:

0e250335-dfae-461d-87b2-f1321726a0db_1.0

• Like 1

mastrmind11

fyi, these miboxes have a super hard time w/ multichanle DTS, so if you're expecting magic, get a shield.  HEVC is hard enough, add in DTS or HDMA, etc, you will be disappointed.

• Like 2

mattykellyuk

Great thanks and this will direct play my x265 10bits and maybe my DTS x264s?

Again really appreciate your advice and time. 

In our experience, DTS does not work properly on the Mi box so our app doesn't even try at this point.  It will convert it to DD on the server.

• Like 1

I got this about a week ago: MDZ-16-AB mentioned above (WalMart version.)

I can confirm it can direct play h265 10bit both 1080p and 4k and manages quite well over WiFi. h264 is no problem.

I even had an old HP USB dongle kicking around and just plugged it in and it worked, so I'm hardwired now.  Just mentioning that because it's a nice feature.

I have played DTS outside of Emby and it's spotty.  I'm really happy Emby transcodes it (thanks!)

For the price point, I'm really happy with it. I'll probably pick up another for the bedroom soon.

• Like 1

Another box which shall people consider is BeeLink GT1, either Ultimate (3GB DDR4/32 EMC) or the reguler version (2GB DDR3/16 EMC).

Same SOC (S905X) with MDZ-16-AB.

Just visit freaktab and you can flash it with AndroidTV 6.x or AndroidTV 7.x firmware.

If I was correct, only this TV Box (BeeLink GT1) has AndroidTV firmware (custom firmware), while others just Android phone firmware. ATM ofcourse.

MIBOX3 (MDZ-16-AB) has weakness in root. It can't be root since bootloader is encrypted.

Edited by kyrios