Chocolate Color Banding

camper8080

camper8080

Hello,

Media Browser Classic: 3.0.129.0 2-12.2 (beta release level)

Chocolate: 3.0.4.1

I’m having an issue with Chocolate background banding; please see the attached pictures. If I turn off “show initial folder background” and “show theme background” the banding goes away. I’ve updated video/bios/chipset drivers but no luck. If I change themes, no banding occurs. I have the exact configuration on an AMD 6550D system but do not experience it; colors and blended well. If anyone has input, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

The first picture is from a screenshot. After reviewing from another computer, it seems a little better. The second is from my phone. You can see more what I see.

530e9da980b5b_banding2.png530e9dfcbddf0_IMG_20140226_174929459.jpg

Your display, resolution or color depth is not up to showing that gradient.  The screen cap is what it should look like.

camper8080

Thanks for your time, ebr.

I've updated the bios, video, chipset, nic drivers, tested a new high speed HDMI cat2 cable, confirmed 32-bit true color enabled, reset Windows color management settings, created custom display profiles (Intel), set MWC7 black levels to 0-255, Intel input to 0-255/output to full RGB (via registry hack), set Intel display to YCBCR, reversed all black levels to 16-235, configured my display to my best ability (no much to choose from here), but nothing seems to work. I did hookup the NUC to my Samsung TV that is working on the 6550 and I still see the bands; that tells me it may not be the display. Any other ideas?

Can you tell me what renders these colors/shades? WMC, display driver, MBC or TV? I hope I asked this correctly.

Anyone else here have an Intel NUC DC3217IYE Ivy Bridge running MBC and not having issues?

Thank you for your time.

Edited by camper8080

It is probably either the video card or drivers.  That NUC just may not have a very good video card for graphics (as opposed to video).

I found a few reviews on Amazon complaining about graphics incompatibilities.

CashMoney

Not looked at a NUC as yet but that image says to me driver; either not installed and a default driver is running or the driver isn't configured for the proper colour depth. Is it just MCE it dithers/lacks full colour/bands like that or does it do it on the desktop as well?

camper8080

Hey CashMoney - At the time of the screenshots, I was running the latest Intel display driver. I since reinstalled it and confirmed I was running the latest via device manager. I ran DXDIAG and confirmed the color depth was 32bit and resolution was set to 1920x1080/60p. The desktop looks ok but can see slight banding in the logon screen before the desktop and also notice lines in some windows, such as, opening system properties and viewing the left side. You can see it has some Aero effects and I see lines where it should blend together. I've also read that Intel doesn't provide the best quality drivers and you can find a lot of complaining on their forums. I purchased an HDMI to VGA w/audio adaptor today and now waiting for delivery. I want to see if changing the display type from TV to monitor has and difference. I'll update the post once I find out. Thanks for the feedback.

camper8080

Adding a HDMI to VGA as a test didn't resolve the issue; I even upgraded to Windows 8.1 but same results. If I choose a different theme, I don't see it but not sure if they function the same. Best I can do is turn off the background tiers but lose the theme appeal. No matter the amount of tweaking of the TV/GPU settings, I cannot get it change. I can confirm films look great so I guess there's not much more I can do. The soon to be wife says to stop tinkering and leave it alone. :) Thanks again for everyone's time.