Finding shows to record only sets them to record on standard def channels.

Tur0k

Last week I did a search magnifying glass in the Emby app on my IOS phone, for "Orville" and set the show to record the series. I didn't see an option to pick the HD channel option or the SD channel option. Emby recorded the SD option, after I poked around the LiveTV - recordings - Series menu. I saw a field that said "Channels". This only gave me two options the SD channel or "all channels".

To get the HD version of the show to be recorded I went into the guide and navigated to the HD channel on the following Sunday and then set EMBY to record that series.

What is the appropriate way to tell Emby to record the HD channel when I do a search for a show in the magnifying glass?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

At this time you would need to do it the way you did (start the recording from the proper channel) because I don't believe we know which channel is which.

• Like 1

@@Tur0k, if using schedules direct then we do know when programs are HD.

Currently what you would have to do is either browse to the HD program, or use the search feature. When using the search feature, the search results screen does not show an HD indicator, so currently you would have to click into individual results in order to find the HD entry.

So how can we improve? for starters we could put an HD/SD setting on the series recording. That would allow you to schedule the series recording from either SD or HD, and then just enable all channels and pick HD only.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks.

@@denz, any thoughts? We originally elected not to have an HD filter based on your advice that it wasn't needed nowadays, but here it looks like it might be helpful.

• Like 1

What I don't understand why would you have the sd channel to be displayed unless it is not a simulcast of the hd channels. Here you have a main hd channel and you have simulcast in sd and I have disabled all those sd channels why have those unnecessary channels in the tv guide. What happens here is that you may have a new show on the hd channel and then the next day there could be a repeat on one of the other sd channels and that is controlled by record new episodes.  I think this could be a feature request to see do others will have any use of it. You can certainly count Australia out of this request as I will dare to say 100% will never use that setting. 

• Like 1

maegibbons

@@Tur0k

From a UK perspective I would always want both SD and HD available in the guide.

Some of my channels come via IPTV and sometimes a stream can be down so I just switch to the SD version or vice versa.

In terms of recording I would normally like to record in HD so the request from my point of view is Valid.. It would be good to search and see ehich results are SD and HD respectively and also filter by the same token

Removing SD channels from the Lineup is not the answer.

Krs

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for the responses guys.  I think having an easy way to search for and select SD Vs HD show recordings is worthwhile.  Here, we use Comcast, and the show lineups look exactly the same between SD and HD. Personally, I would be agreeable to the idea of removing all the unneeded SD channels and the junk channels we never watch.  When I first enabled LiveTV and schedules direct I only saw a way to map channels not hide them entirely.  Is this something I should be doing on my HDHomerun Prime? 

im85288

Thank you for the responses guys.  I think having an easy way to search for and select SD Vs HD show recordings is worthwhile.  Here, we use Comcast, and the show lineups look exactly the same between SD and HD. Personally, I would be agreeable to the idea of removing all the unneeded SD channels and the junk channels we never watch.  When I first enabled LiveTV and schedules direct I only saw a way to map channels not hide them entirely.  Is this something I should be doing on my HDHomerun Prime?

That’s something I agree could do with being improved, on my HDHomeRun (uk) for example it finds approx 207 channels..of those I only want 5 or 6 HD channels mapped. What you can do when setting up is get it to only import your favourite channels (set this in my HDHomeRun first)...but your stuck with that mapping so cannot add/remove channels after if you change your mind

Yes, you can easily do this with the HDHR interface itself.  As you look at the channel listing in that interface there is an icon to the left.  Click it and it will toggle between normal, favorite and hidden.  Hide the ones you don't care about and they won't ever show up in Emby.

59ede7dc819d4_hdhrchannels.png

• Like 1

psubsee2002

While manually filtering out simulcast SD channels is an option in some cases, I would love more HD vs SD filtering in the channel guide and in the recording options.  My channel lineup does include a number of non-simulcast SD channels, some of which have shows I am trying to record.

For example

• I want to record a show in HD only that is in syndication on multiple stations, some are SD and some are HD and I would prefer to record only the HD Channels without setting up a specific recording for each separate channel
  • In a similar scenario, maybe I only want the SD shows to record
  • The show has numerous airings.  Currently, I have to search through the list to find the first HD airing, which could be very far down the list.  Filtering with the HDHomeRun would work here, but is not very flexible.

When recording a series, Windows Media Center gives the option for Any channel, this channel, HD only, prefer HD, SD only, and prefer SD, and it would be great if Emby could provide similar options