Fire TVs transcoding everything

Kramerika

Kramerika

I just noticed that all of my Fire TVs are transcoding everything that I play on them in Emby.  All of my files are MKV with H.264 video, PGS subtitles (although I have them off by default), and either DD stereo or 5.1 or DTS 5.1 audio.  This is for 3 different FIre TVs on completely different TVs.  These TVs do support output of DD audio.  I have audio set to direct in Emby for all of them.  I cannot get them to direct play anything.  What am I missing?  They were able to direct play before although I can't pinpoint when it changed as I hadn't noticed until now.  I prefer to direct play as much as possible to save server resources unless there is good reason to transcode.  I sent a log as MediaServer just now.

Hi @@Kramerika, there's only two examples of a full transcode and that is due to burning in DVDSUB format subtitles, which are not natively supported by fire tv.

The other logs are just audio conversions. If you enabled audio downmixing in the app then that could be why the audio conversions are happening. Does this answer your question?

Kramerika

I do not have downmixing enabled.  I have it set to direct.  Why it is converting DD stereo or 5.1 or DTS 5.1?

Dts is going to have to be converted on the fire. For Dolby it depends on the equipment involved.

Please play one of these items and send a log from the app. Thanks.

Kramerika

I just sent logs as MediaServer from 3 different Fire TVs connected to 3 entirely different TVs via HDMI.  All of the TVs do support DD and DTS.  None of the TVs are connected to a receiver though nor are the Fire TVs.  These are 2nd generation Fire TVs.

The first log also was sent following a break where the stream froze with a volley timeout error.  Not sure what happened there.

DTS is not supported by the Fire TV so it will have to be converted.

The DD tracks you played were high-bitrate ones (over 448kb/s) and we've had people reporting audio dropouts trying to direct play those.  Upon investigation, we found that the Fire specs only state support for DD at 448kb/s so we are converting to that bitrate for proper playback.

DTS is not supported by the Fire TV so it will have to be converted.

The DD tracks you played were high-bitrate ones (over 448kb/s) and we've had people reporting audio dropouts trying to direct play those.  Upon investigation, we found that the Fire specs only state support for DD at 448kb/s so we are converting to that bitrate for proper playback.

Hi @@ebr,@@Luke,

Can you take a quick look at this one? I can't seem to discern why it is transcoded/remuxed. I thought it was the audio bitrate but the native file is 448,

I believe 448kb/s is the general max recommended bit rate for DD, so it is not just the Fire platform, probably a good choice for most clients!

ffmpeg-remux-6a04148d-d9e9-42bb-b5cd-8bb05f8975ae.txt

Thanks,

-vicpa

Edited by Vicpa

Hi @@ebr,@@Luke,

Can you take a quick look at this one? I can't seem to discern why it is transcoded/remuxed. I thought it was the audio bitrate but the native file is 448,

I believe 448kb/s is the general max recommended bit rate for DD, so it is not just the Fire platform, probably a good choice for most clients!

attachicon.gifffmpeg-remux-6a04148d-d9e9-42bb-b5cd-8bb05f8975ae.txt

Thanks,

-vicpa

There is an error in the current release version that will cause this.  A new version was submitted to Amazon this morning.  Once it passes review, it should resolve this.

• Like 1

Kramerika

@@Kramerika does this address your concerns?

Disappointing, but I guess so.  I'm just ripping DVDs and blu-rays out and passing through the DD audio on compression, so I'm not changing the bitrate from what the DVDs or blu-rays included with the native audio track.

Your DVDs should be fine (with the new version on its way out) but some BD DD tracks are likely 640kbs.

Audio only transcodes are pretty light-weight.  Shouldn't have much of an impact.