Multi-line subtitles not displaying properly

kyrios

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Odd as double line external SRT's work just fine (display over 2 lines) on my FireTV and Shield device... ?

This is not about the subtitles themselves.  It is about the menu to select them.

rbjtech
On 11/12/2021 at 04:31, MattS156 said:

Never mind, I found a solution. After trying a couple of different subtitle formats, I found that the .ASS format supports multi-line, external subtitles. I used Subtitle Edit to save an existing .SRT file as .ASS and the multi-line subs started working correctly.

?

I'm replying to this - I don't need to use ASS subs - External SRT's where there are two lines inbetween the sequence numbers appear as two lines on both FireTV and Shield.

01:03:32,107 --> 01:03:34,631
and doesn't give up
until he attains it.

as an example - this appears as two lines.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 2

MattS156

I think it depends on the app version that is playing it. When I look at a video using Emby on my laptop, multi-line external SRTs display just fine. My TV is a Samsung made in 2015, so I don't think uses the latest Emby TV app. I edited my subtitle to get it all cleaned up and then used MKVToolNix to embed it in the video and it works fine. MKVToolNix is nice because it only takes a couple of minutes to create the MKV with the internal subtitle.