iOS app external display support

lateparty

lateparty

Hello,

I recently bought into the emby ecosystem coming from a year's experience with Plex and I won't get into why etc there's really only one killer feature at this point that distinguishes the two services for my use case as a premiere user.

The inability for the app to go full screen to your external display. In my room I have a projector for which I have a lightning to hdmi connector setup with and through the native app the video just plays mirrored and in 4:3 as per the iPad, unlike through Safari where it lets me go "full screen" and then iOS does its thing (it's a lot like going from having a YouTube video play in frame out to the native player, except the video portion is coming out of the external display and the playback controls are on the device)

My reasoning for priority is because the Safari web app version does not gracefully handle going into next episodes from this full screen state very well (external display or not) whereas the native app does a fantastic job.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by lateparty

legallink

I haven't used the lightning to hdmi, but my experience with the iPad/iPhone and an external display is to not use the mirror function on the device but to cast to the display from the iOS interface.

lateparty

I haven't used the lightning to hdmi, but my experience with the iPad/iPhone and an external display is to not use the mirror function on the device but to cast to the display from the iOS interface.

You don't get the option on iOS. It all depends on the content. By default, it's mirror, unless you can expand out into the iOS media player interface (I'm sure you know the one) and there's no way to go into that mode in the native app.

Also, it may have been a hiccup earlier but the safari version has been going through episodes pretty respectably. So the reasoning for priority is gone. Personally, I would consider this a nice to have.

legallink

Is it a different interface than the airplay interface? If you swipe right on the standard airplay interface where you can choose the device to cast your content, is that what you are referring to?