Roku App Movie View

nospammage
Go to solution Solved by dcook,

nospammage

Please provide the ability to view movies in the Roku App using the thumb card view (like on the server) - see image attached.  I'm displaying movies ripped from DVD to my media server and it takes the default image and displays it as a poster with no text.  The images are landscape images "scrunched" into the portrait "poster" mode.  In addition, there is no title when viewed like this.  I'm able to change the PC client to this view (although it does not stay that way - that would be nice).  Emby Server Version 3.2.30.0, on Windows 10 Pro.

Hi, there is no image in your post but the Roku already shows that information in its movie views so we do need to try and figure out what you are seeing.  Thanks.

59a81d9bbe45f_newmoviegrid.jpg

nospammage

Here's the thumb card view from the PC Web client.  I cannot replicate this view using the Roku; in fact, I have no choices for the movies view in the Roku app, it automatically uses a single row movie poster mode and when I switch to "By Letter," it provides multiple rows and columns (which is friendlier) but it's still in poster mode and all you see is squished versions of the same images without any text. Since I'm just ripping DVDs I own (not downloading from the internet), the only thing available is the main movie.

post-238153-0-69920300-1504197085_thumb.jpg

Here's the thumb card view from the PC Web client.  I cannot replicate this view using the Roku; in fact, I have no choices for the movies view in the Roku app, it automatically uses a single row movie poster mode and when I switch to "By Letter," it provides multiple rows and columns (which is friendlier) but it's still in poster mode and all you see is squished versions of the same images without any text. Since I'm just ripping DVDs I own (not downloading from the internet), the only thing available is the main movie.

While you are correct that we should have more view options in the Roku app, in the meantime why not just add posters to these movies? If you organize them properly in a movie library Emby will do that for you.

nospammage

OK, can you point me to the Help file or "How to" to accomplish this?  I've not figured that out yet.  Thanks.

Sure, the first thing you'll want to do is setup a movie library, so first that means looking at your folders. A guide on that can be found here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Movie%20naming

Once that is done then in Emby library setup you can add a new library with content type Movies. Let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Solution
dcook

Even if you are ripping discs you can still get the metadata from the internet which will give you the proper size posters.

• Like 1

nospammage

The problem I discovered while collecting metadata from the internet is it wasn't always the correct information and sometimes, not even the same type of film.  However, having viewed the other options you have provided, I discovered how to "identify" the correct film using the server interface and this is a much easier solution than trying to reinvent the wheel.  Thanks for all your suggestions and kudos to the developers of this media server!  It's going to keep Grandpa's DVD collection peanut butter fingerprint free for the foreseeable future!