[Offensive Name] Chromecast

Starkadius

Redshirt

We've been slower than them to get CC out the door. So this is the price we pay. I am so friggen close with android it's not even funny :(

• Like 5

swhitmore

Plex's new Chromecast features let you watch more content, better than ever before

Meh, it is quite upsetting how every new feature that they get is publicized. I sure wish MediaBrowser could get this level of media attention. People need to know how awesome MediaBrowser is before they steal the thunder. :/

Plex has a released product though. Even though MB3 is stable, a lot of components are still in beta. A lot of people are hesitant to use products until they are released. Also, Plex seems to support more devices e.g. OSX, NAS servers, Linux, Samsung, Google TV etc. MB3 is getting there, but it's still playing catch up in a lot of areas. Then there is the killer feature that is offline syncing. God I would love to use that.

Having said that, MB3 (even in beta) is still a far superior product in terms of meta management and developer support.

The pages of history are filled with failed attempts to compete with someone else on all service / product levels. Novell tried that with Microsoft. They bought Word Perfect, Corel Draw where good at networking and disappeared because they spread themselves too thin.

Same here you have to focus on your core clients and satisfy them, then branch out to include other features. None of your core supporters will switch because of some bell and whistles with some other product unless you neglect what you are good at and spread yourself too thin.

Chrome Cast just one of the many ways to get content and what does it have that is not offered by the many other media players, PC solutions and now also QPlay by the TiVo Inventors. It is a never ending battle for the living room, don't get sucked into this.

I bought the Chrome Cast because it was just $10 since it covered $24 of Netflix subscription. Have I used it since? NO. What does it do that is not available by the many other devices that deliver content to the big screen? Nothing for me, YouTube app on my Roku, Dune & PC, Netflix on my Roku & PC, Google Play store, don't use it. The only item of interest would be a Chrome Tab casting which it can't do from Chrome mobile.

Besides the Techie guys you need also to look at trends and then make a decision to implement or not. In my opinion the trend is away from the Wintel solution when a MS license costs quite a bit. Not having a Linux solution will hurt with the vocal on-line community. I do feel your pain but please don't try to become the equivalent of a Swiss army knife.

Just my opinion, since opinions are like butt holes everyone has one :)

• Like 1

We are ambitious but I don't think we're spread thin. It is better to branch out because it provides more opportunity for new people to jump in and help out. I don't think anybody here is interested in taking five and ten year old solutions and making them live on forever. The past is the past. We want to build using the latest toys just like everyone else.

• Like 2

....What does it do that is not available by the many other devices that deliver content to the big screen? Nothing for me, YouTube app on my Roku, Dune & PC, Netflix on my Roku & PC, Google Play store, don't use it. The only item of interest would be a Chrome Tab casting which it can't do from Chrome mobile.

In fairness while it doesn't do much (if anything) more than any of those devices, still it costs half the price so it's an easy way to expand your media to rooms/displays.  It's small, uses no energy, and it's quite simple.  It's also a known quantity so it'll presumably be less susceptible to the random issues that people have with more complex platforms like x86, Android, etc. 

I'm quite excited about it.  I've been taking the dev builds and I noticed a build last week that added the Chromecast icon.  Unfortunately it seems to have disappeared since the big beta build from a couple days ago.  Anyway, here's to hoping it's close!

Koleckai Silvestri

I'm quite excited about it.  I've been taking the dev builds and I noticed a build last week that added the Chromecast icon.  Unfortunately it seems to have disappeared since the big beta build from a couple days ago.  Anyway, here's to hoping it's close!

It was pulled before the Beta due to time. There simply wasn't enough time to get Chromecast in before the Beta release. Should be back in the near future.

It was pulled before the Beta due to time. There simply wasn't enough time to get Chromecast in before the Beta release. Should be back in the near future.

Excellent!

In fairness while it doesn't do much (if anything) more than any of those devices, still it costs half the price so it's an easy way to expand your media to rooms/displays.

You got that one right doesn't do anything that all the other devices can't do, it is an additional way for Google to get into the living room since their other projects failed, Google TV anyone. It does need to be powered and if your display has a USB port then you are in luck and don't need the AC adapter. In addition I was more then underwhelmed with their streaming ability from a regular Chrome browser tab, not really smooth and video on web pages was jerky.

Don't feel like finding out why, because we do not pay for things with money we pay for them with time. For that reason no futzing around for me with Chrome Cast too busy using the home theater's other toys. May revisit it if they get the Chrome Casting tabs to work from mobile browsers, but then Apple probably can't wait to take them to court for infringing on Airplay patents.

Koleckai Silvestri

The reason it was jerky is because the web page isn't sent directly to the Chromecast device. It is sent to a web based application that sends the Chromecast device a video stream of what is happening in the browser on your mobile device. All Chromecast operations do the same thing.

You got that one right doesn't do anything that all the other devices can't do, it is an additional way for Google to get into the living room since their other projects failed, Google TV anyone. It does need to be powered and if your display has a USB port then you are in luck and don't need the AC adapter. In addition I was more then underwhelmed with their streaming ability from a regular Chrome browser tab, not really smooth and video on web pages was jerky.

Don't feel like finding out why, because we do not pay for things with money we pay for them with time. For that reason no futzing around for me with Chrome Cast too busy using the home theater's other toys. May revisit it if they get the Chrome Casting tabs to work from mobile browsers, but then Apple probably can't wait to take them to court for infringing on Airplay patents.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.  Pick your poison in the living room.  Even the lovable Roku collects as much data on you as they possibly can:  http://www.roku.com/about/privacy

I'm not saying the Chromecast is anything special.  For me it's just nice because of the cost, size and simplicity.  Once supported it could be a cost-efficient way to expand your content into other rooms.  And yeah, browser-based video casting stinks.  Thankfully that's not what we're talking about here.

Btw, I'm not too concerned with Apple suing Google.  Putting aside DLNA-like (DIAL) media sending which clearly is not original to Apple, even mobile mirroring has been happening (by way of VNC) for longer than Airplay has been alive.  I don't think Apple would waste their time with this knowing that mirroring and media sending was obviously not their original idea, regardless of whether any patents have been granted to them in the first place.