Parental Control in Live TV

ewalkersc

ewalkersc

I assign parental ratings to individual channels in live TV.  This allows me to filter the list of channels my children see.  In the on now, suggestions area, it still shows TV shows that are on channels they aren't allowed to see and allows them to tune to those channels.  The channels do not appear in the guide.

Also, does Emby use the parental ratings in the guide provided by Schedules direct.  My daughter is setup to watch PG and below.  One of the channels has a TV 14 show on and she can tune to it and watch it, even the guide\episode data shows it as TV 14.

The first issue sounds like an oversight we need to look at.

The second one gets very complicated because the rating data available for Live TV is not only spotty and inconsistent (with all kinds of bizarre ratings) but also changes over time.

So, solving the first one (allowing you to properly block the channel) hopefully should cover you.

ewalkersc

The first issue sounds like an oversight we need to look at.

The second one gets very complicated because the rating data available for Live TV is not only spotty and inconsistent (with all kinds of bizarre ratings) but also changes over time.

So, solving the first one (allowing you to properly block the channel) hopefully should cover you.

I get that's it's complicated to use rating data, but if it's provided shouldn't you be able to use it, especially if I have the option to block if there is no rating data set.  My children have access to channels that have mixed rating shows.  Network broadcast channels have a wide variety of shows and would prefer to be able to have that channel available but just the show blocked if it's above the rating set.  This seems like a very common thing with commercial DVRs and other TV interfaces.

Edited by ewalkersc

That is just something that will have to be managed in every single app and in real time and we just haven't gotten that sophisticated with it yet.

MrGrymReaper

@@ebr - There is already content rating information in the Schedules Direct epg feed. The Emby server just needs to query a chosen live tv or recording's listing item content rating before performing the appropriate action; then compare it to the chosen parental content rating limit. Also as well perform the actions to prevent the item from being listed as a choice if necessary to ensure that the parental controls are properly fully enforced. The database record for recorded programming would also include the content rating for said item to enable enforcement of parental controls; even better if it would encode this information into the recording's file (at some point in the future) itself.

Performing the one of the following actions based on this comparison:-

• If the channel itself has a content rating above the limit - block it
  • If the channel itself is unrated when checked (unless otherwise allowed on the parental control settings) - block it
  • If the channel itself has mixed rating content and the content itself is above the parental control rating limit - block it
  • If the channel itself has mixed rating content and the content itself is unrated when checked (unless otherwise allowed on the parental control settings) - block it
  • If these conditions aren't met by the chosen item - allow it

The parental control settings would need to become part of the Emby server software's user profile setting functions, on a per profile basis; so that it can be set centrally. Removing the need to manually configure it across all of the devices or applications where it is to be used. This would also enable the feature to operate on the web browser based interface; on systems without a client installed.

Edited by MrGrymReaper

The parental control settings would need to become part of the Emby server software's user profile setting functions, on a per profile basis; so that it can be set centrally. 

This part we already have. You can assign parental rating limits to users, and it won't matter which device they're connecting from.

@@ebr - There is already content rating information in the Schedules Direct epg feed. The Emby server just needs to query a chosen live tv or recording's listing item content rating before performing the appropriate action; then compare it to the chosen parental content rating limit. Also as well perform the actions to prevent the item from being listed as a choice if necessary to ensure that the parental controls are properly fully enforced. 

We already do this too (for the most part).  If you bring up the guide for a restricted user, you will not see the programs in the guide that go above their rating.

The issues come in a couple of flavors:

1) The ratings in the guide are all over the map and cannot be trusted very well.

2) The above process works now for viewing the guide and (should) for starting playback.  Then it gets tricky because if the user just leaves it going, the program is going to change and, thus, potentially the rating and whether or not it should be accessible anymore.

#2 is why I said that it will require real-time monitoring by every single app and that we simply haven't done that part yet.

ewalkersc

If I bring up the guide for a user with PG-13/T.  I not only see items in the guide at 14+ and higher, but I can also tune to them directly.  I am using schedules direct for TV guide info.    I also see suggestions on the Programs "On Now" and other sections that are on channels the user should not have access too.  I am running the latest version of the server.

We already do this too (for the most part).  If you bring up the guide for a restricted user, you will not see the programs in the guide that go above their rating.

The issues come in a couple of flavors:

1) The ratings in the guide are all over the map and cannot be trusted very well.

2) The above process works now for viewing the guide and (should) for starting playback.  Then it gets tricky because if the user just leaves it going, the program is going to change and, thus, potentially the rating and whether or not it should be accessible anymore.

#2 is why I said that it will require real-time monitoring by every single app and that we simply haven't done that part yet.

@@ebr - There is already content rating information in the Schedules Direct epg feed. The Emby server just needs to query a chosen live tv or recording's listing item content rating before performing the appropriate action; then compare it to the chosen parental content rating limit. Also as well perform the actions to prevent the item from being listed as a choice if necessary to ensure that the parental controls are properly fully enforced. The database record for recorded programming would also include the content rating for said item to enable enforcement of parental controls; even better if it would encode this information into the recording's file (at some point in the future) itself.

• If the channel itself is unrated when checked (unless otherwise allowed on the parental control settings) - block it
  • If the channel itself has mixed rating content and the content itself is above the parental control rating limit - block it
  • If the channel itself has mixed rating content and the content itself is unrated when checked (unless otherwise allowed on the parental control settings) - block it

The parental control settings would need to become part of the Emby server software's user profile setting functions, on a per profile basis; so that it can be set centrally. Removing the need to manually configure it across all of the devices or applications where it is to be used. This would also enable the feature to operate on the web browser based interface; on systems without a client installed.

FYI, channels don't actually have ratings, at least not in schedules direct data. you would have to customize the ratings for actual channels.

I just tested this and it worked fine although unfortunately it required a guide refresh after customizing the channel rating. but that's something we can work out.

BAlGaInTl

Like @@Luke said... a big issue is that programs, not channels, have ratings.  So we can give channels ratings using Emby, and that can be applied to block entire channels.  It becomes much more complex if you try to do it by program.  It's easy if it's something that is recorded and treated separately.  But Live TV is just that... Live. 

How do you propose that is handled? 

You could turn on and off channels in the guide based on that... but what if a person was already live streaming a channel when the inappropriate content starts?  How do you stop it?  Is that server or client side?  A mix of both?

I can appreciate that it is not an easy problem to solve. 

I suppose that it "could" all be done server side, but I don't think it would be as clean... Maybe cut the stream at the server and use the new messaging feature to send a message to the client that they aren't permitted to view that content?  But then you would have to be constantly checking the guide data to see if the rating has changed.... 

Like @@Luke said... a big issue is that programs, not channels, have ratings.  So we can give channels ratings using Emby, and that can be applied to block entire channels.  It becomes much more complex if you try to do it by program.  It's easy if it's something that is recorded and treated separately.  But Live TV is just that... Live. 

How do you propose that is handled? 

You could turn on and off channels in the guide based on that... but what if a person was already live streaming a channel when the inappropriate content starts?  How do you stop it?  Is that server or client side?  A mix of both?

I can appreciate that it is not an easy problem to solve. 

I suppose that it "could" all be done server side, but I don't think it would be as clean... Maybe cut the stream at the server and use the new messaging feature to send a message to the client that they aren't permitted to view that content?  But then you would have to be constantly checking the guide data to see if the rating has changed.... 

Correct, see my comments above.

It cannot be managed by the server because it is possible that the server is not even involved in the stream (app could be going direct to tuner).  It would have to be managed by every app.

ewalkersc

FYI, channels don't actually have ratings, at least not in schedules direct data. you would have to customize the ratings for actual channels.

I just tested this and it worked fine although unfortunately it required a guide refresh after customizing the channel rating. but that's something we can work out.

@@Luke

As I said in my original post, I manually assign ratings to channels and those channels do not display in the guide.  That functionality works correctly.  However, @@ebr said that the functionality of checking program guide data was already being done.  My most recent post was to say that this does not work if that is correct.  I am unable to not only see program information in the guide with higher ratings, but can tune to it.  I'm personally ok with having a user see information in the guide that is above their rating, but they should not be able to tune to it. 

@BAlGaInTl 

If the only scenario that would allow to watch something they shouldn't was the channel already being tuned when a show starts, that would be ok as it would be well above what is functioning now.  I would suggest rather than constantly checking the show maybe just have it check at the hour and half hour if it was to be implemented.

Also, in the "suggested\on now" show area, a use gets suggestions for things on channels they do not have access to and are then able to tune that channel.

However, @@ebr said that the functionality of checking program guide data was already being done.  

Sorry, you are correct.  This must be a regression in the server because I know this used to work.  We'll have to take a look at what broke it.  Thanks.

• Like 1

BAlGaInTl

@BAlGaInTl 

If the only scenario that would allow to watch something they shouldn't was the channel already being tuned when a show starts, that would be ok as it would be well above what is functioning now.  I would suggest rather than constantly checking the show maybe just have it check at the hour and half hour if it was to be implemented.

Also, in the "suggested\on now" show area, a use gets suggestions for things on channels they do not have access to and are then able to tune that channel.

That was just one scenario.  There would be other issues with the as well.  The guide would have to be revamped as well.  I think it just isn't as simple as it sounds.

I'm also not one of the devs, so an idea in my mind is one thing... the execution of that may be a completely different matter.  :-)