I dont know if MB is right for me

Koleckai Silvestri

Koleckai Silvestri

MediaBrowser 3 - Server and Clients are very young. Don't even think they are a year old yet. Many of the things you're asking for are in the TODO list and will be coming. However they are of varying priorities.

For plugins there aren't a lot needed like you need in XBMC for most things.. However the list is growing and you have both Server Plugins and Client plugins. 

saitoh183

I have been dabbing in MB3 for a few days now and decided i might as well ask all my questions on the forum. I know that lots of my questions might be answered if i really dig in the forum but due to my time being limited (baby just wont have it clear.png ) i will post what im looking for and hope i can get my questions answered. When i first got into the HTPC scene my first software was MB2 and i liked it but had lots of issues with WMC and MB and the really slow response time in MB2 as my library got larger. So i hope MB3 has come a long way from there(which from my initial impression, it has) I live in Montreal Canada, just so you know clear.png and this will be a long post so please bare with me clear.png.

First off my current setup:

Hardware:

• 2 HTPC systems (1 with Hauppauge Colossus + TV recordings) (W7 x64)
  • Media server (contains all my Media...tv shows and movies) (WHS2011)
  • Application server running MySQL,NZBdrone,XBMC, Playon (Mainly for netflix content) (W2012 R2)

Software:

• XBMC on both machines with App server running a MySQL to share content
  • WMCserver app + WMC XBMC plugin to do TV recording

XBMC setup:

• 2 XBMC profile (1 for wife and 1 for me) so we can each have our own watched status
  • Trakt sync
  • Smartplaylist + Tags to divide media up on main menu (Kids - Movies -TV shows (couple) - TV Shows all - Anime)
  • PlayOn source added via Upnp (also have a script that create a files that can allow me to add netflix content to library)
  • Plugins: Tou.tv, Canada on Demand, illico TV, Youtube

Media setup:

• ...\Videos\TV\<Series name>\SeasonX\<series_name> - SXXxEXX - <eps_name>.ext
  • ...\Videos\Anime\<Series name>\<series_name> - EXX -<eps_name>.ext (I use absolute numbers..renaming done via Anidb script)
  • ...\Videos\Movies\<Movie name> (Year)\<movie_name> (year).ext (Some folders also contain Trailers: <movie_name> (year) - trailer.ext )
  • ...\Videos\UFC\<Movie name> (Year)\<movie_name> (year).ext
  • ...\Videos\Kids\<Movie name> (Year)\<movie_name> (year).ext (No tv shows in this folder)

MB3: (Even if i found an answer on forums or by searching...can you guys confirm)

• Can i divide my Anime and TVshows so they dont show up all under TV?
  • In the same optic as above, can we make our own playlist? Like for example, i have a very large movie collection and my wife would only want to have a list of movies that she is interested in and maybe have another menu item that contains all the movies. Is this possible? (maybe by using the boxset feature in some way?) Same would go for TV shows.
  • Given my Anime setup, can i use the Anime plugin to properly manage my Anime or am i stuck using TVDB (which does a horrible job with they way i organize my anime)
  • With the profile system, can each person have there own watched data?(watched Flag) I know that you can use individual trakt accounts so this is why i ask.
  • I also noticed that the plugin library seems to be very small, is there some other 3rd party source to get other plugins from?
  • Is there support for UPNP? I use playon to access certain streaming content (like netflix) and its only accessible via UPnP.
  • Is there a application Launcher? I noticed a forum post about one but couldnt find any download link. I would need it to maybe launch XBMC just to have access to the streaming french content plugins i use.(like Tou.tv and illico Web)
  • For LiveTV, from what i read, we can only visualize it via the web. Is this also true for the recordings? (i figured i could add the path to the recordings to be able to watched them via MBT or MBC) Can i use Schedule direct or do i have to use xmltv?
  • What does the supporter Key for MB3 give you ? I have my MB2 key still but still havent found what advantages i get for getting the MB3 key (except for the money going towards supporting the product). Does it unlock access to plugins only visible once you entered the key. I know it allows you to use the current addons marked as trials.

Given the current state of MBT, im guessing to get the most out of MB3 , i must use MBC from within WMC. Will MBT eventually take MBC place? I also know about the xbmc plugin but i dont see any advantage for me to use that plugin for my needs. My goal is to use less XBMC and use a client that is easy for the wife and for me to maintain. One of the biggest features for me(if everything works out) would be the ease of swicthing profiles for my wife. In xbmc this feature is very unstable and crashes more often then none.

Thanks in advance for any answers provided :)

Edited by saitoh183

trusselo

look man, you have used XBMC, im sure you have been to their forum, its horrible, the users treat anyone asking questions like crap, if they do get an answer its a half answer, that requires you to go and re-code some xml.  Their forum is crap, and having been there before, i KINDA understand why you dont want to go and read our forum for yourself.

We are NOT XBMC.  we are very helpful, we answer any question you ask, and many answers are already there.  BUT, its really hard to be helpful to a user that says specifically, "I DONT WANT TO READ.  PLEASE SPOON FEED ME GENERAL INFO AS I REQUEST IT"

• Like 2

saitoh183

look man, you have used XBMC, im sure you have been to their forum, its horrible, the users treat anyone asking questions like crap, if they do get an answer its a half answer, that requires you to go and re-code some xml.  Their forum is crap, and having been there before, i KINDA understand why you dont want to go and read our forum for yourself.

We are NOT XBMC.  we are very helpful, we answer any question you ask, and many answers are already there.  BUT, its really hard to be helpful to a user that says specifically, "I DONT WANT TO READ.  PLEASE SPOON FEED ME GENERAL INFO AS I REQUEST IT"

Sorry but i never said i dont want to , nor did i say i havent read. I have found info, some is dated and some is not. The stuff i havent found i asked in my post and some stuff i did find but didnt quite understand the response given. Hence why im asking my own questions. I know the XBMC forum quite well (look me up, i have many post and try to help out to the best of my abilities) im not one to be an ass to people wanting help. Since i dont have much time to spend reading every post, i decided to post my own thread while i continue to search for answers.

Edited by saitoh183

trusselo

I have been dabbing in MB3 for a few days now and decided i might as well ask all my questions on the forum. I know that lots of my questions might be answered if i really dig in the forum but due to my time being limited (baby just wont have it clear.png )

I read this line and stopped reading. this forum has only existed for a couple months. there isnt that much to dig through and none of it is 'dated'

saitoh183

Yes i know its a couple months and i have been to the old forum. And my plan was to edit my post as i found answers. Probably should have mentioned that in the post

• Can i divide my Anime and TVshows so they dont show up all under TV? (Working on it)

• In the same optic as above, can we make our own playlist? Like for example, i have a very large movie collection and my wife would only want to have a list of movies that she is interested in and maybe have another menu item that contains all the movies. Is this possible? (maybe by using the boxset feature in some way?) Same would go for TV shows. (Working on it)
  • Given my Anime setup, can i use the Anime plugin to properly manage my Anime or am i stuck using TVDB (which does a horrible job with they way i organize my anime) (Working on it)
  • With the profile system, can each person have there own watched data?(watched Flag) I know that you can use individual trakt accounts so this is why i ask. (Yes)

• I also noticed that the plugin library seems to be very small, is there some other 3rd party source to get other plugins from? (New people are stepping up everyday to add new plugins)

• Is there support for UPNP? I use playon to access certain streaming content (like netflix) and its only accessible via UPnP. (We'd like to, eventually, but no you can't right now).

• Is there a application Launcher? I noticed a forum post about one but couldnt find any download link. I would need it to maybe launch XBMC just to have access to the streaming french content plugins i use.(like Tou.tv and illico Web). (Yes)

• For LiveTV, from what i read, we can only visualize it via the web. Is this also true for the recordings? (i figured i could add the path to the recordings to be able to watched them via MBT or MBC) Can i use Schedule direct or do i have to use xmltv? (Our UI developers are all working on adding Live TV. The web client just happens to be the first one that got it).

• What does the supporter Key for MB3 give you ? I have my MB2 key still but still havent found what advantages i get for getting the MB3 key (except for the money going towards supporting the product). Does it unlock access to plugins only visible once you entered the key. I know it allows you to use the current addons marked as trials. (Some plugins require the supporter key. It will not add additional plugins to the catalog).

• Like 3

saitoh183

• Can i divide my Anime and TVshows so they dont show up all under TV? (Working on it)
  • In the same optic as above, can we make our own playlist? Like for example, i have a very large movie collection and my wife would only want to have a list of movies that she is interested in and maybe have another menu item that contains all the movies. Is this possible? (maybe by using the boxset feature in some way?) Same would go for TV shows. (Working on it)
  • Given my Anime setup, can i use the Anime plugin to properly manage my Anime or am i stuck using TVDB (which does a horrible job with they way i organize my anime) (Working on it)
  • With the profile system, can each person have there own watched data?(watched Flag) I know that you can use individual trakt accounts so this is why i ask. (Yes)
  • I also noticed that the plugin library seems to be very small, is there some other 3rd party source to get other plugins from? (New people are stepping up everyday to add new plugins)
  • Is there support for UPNP? I use playon to access certain streaming content (like netflix) and its only accessible via UPnP. (We'd like to, eventually, but no you can't right now).
  • Is there a application Launcher? I noticed a forum post about one but couldnt find any download link. I would need it to maybe launch XBMC just to have access to the streaming french content plugins i use.(like Tou.tv and illico Web). (Yes)
  • For LiveTV, from what i read, we can only visualize it via the web. Is this also true for the recordings? (i figured i could add the path to the recordings to be able to watched them via MBT or MBC) Can i use Schedule direct or do i have to use xmltv? (Our UI developers are all working on adding Live TV. The web client just happens to be the first one that got it).
  • What does the supporter Key for MB3 give you ? I have my MB2 key still but still havent found what advantages i get for getting the MB3 key (except for the money going towards supporting the product). Does it unlock access to plugins only visible once you entered the key. I know it allows you to use the current addons marked as trials. (Some plugins require the supporter key. It will not add additional plugins to the catalog).

Thanks Luke, I really like where MB3 is headed and i like the server side very much. Its simple to use and the interface is quick. I look forward to all the nice goodies to come. By any chance where can i find the application launcher? I found the thread but no link nor did i find it in the catalog. 

saitoh183

MediaBrowser 3 - Server and Clients are very young. Don't even think they are a year old yet. Many of the things you're asking for are in the TODO list and will be coming. However they are of varying priorities.

For plugins there aren't a lot needed like you need in XBMC for most things.. However the list is growing and you have both Server Plugins and Client plugins. 

yeah i get it...this is why i think i will jump on the ban wagon :)

Airbender

Hello

Please note also that MB3 is very very stable system that can handle over 30 TB worth of data with no issue even plex chock at that much amount of data max i was able to add to plex was 12 TB so just FYI

The anime plugin does not work correctly with the latest release of the server, as there were some large changes to how such plugins worked, and the anime plugin in particular tried to do some non-standard things to get TVDB to work with absolute episode numbers. There will likely be an updated version released very soon, and we are working on some improvements to the server for anime support..

Koleckai Silvestri

yeah i get it...this is why i think i will jump on the ban wagon :)

It is a fun wagon. Just takes some getting used to from XBMC. You'll get to spend more time with your media though. :)

Edited by Wayne Luke

saitoh183

It is a fun wagon. Just takes some getting used to from XBMC. You'll get to spend more time with your media though. :)

I will have no trouble adapting. I was hesitating between MediaPortal and MB3 and the simplicity of MB3 is what im looking for. MePo is also a good product but i think the lack of a centralized DB in MePo 1 is a turn off. MePo 2 has that feature but is still only in alpha stage.