DVBSUBS Lost When MKV Record Transcoding

maegibbons

maegibbons

Hi

I think i tagged this on to another subtitles thread somewhere but thought it needs a thread of its own.

If you select transcode on record to MKV container of a UK OTA Broadcast from HDHR which includes Closed Caption subtitles "DVBSUBS" the stream gets stripped and not copied to the MKV.

Can this be fixed?

Sample ffmpeg log encxlosed,

Krs

Mark

record-trans-nosubs.txt

To test this I'm going to need access to your tuner as I don't have DVB stream here. If you could make me an m3u that would provide external access, and then tell me what times of day i can test that would be great, thanks.

maegibbons

Hmm ... Can i create an m3u to connect to a HD Homerun?  I'm not sure.

Have you done that before?

Krs

Mark

Hmm ... Can i create an m3u to connect to a HD Homerun?  I'm not sure.

Have you done that before?

Krs

Mark

Yes just use the HDHR web api to pull up

/lineup.json

Inside there you will see channel urls. from there you just need to figure out remote access for that url. I don't need all your channels, just two or three would be fine. thanks.

maegibbons

Could I just MAP an external IP to it and open some ports?  You could then get to the tuner directly?

Krs

Mark

afullmark

Plex had this trouble. They couldn't fix it so removed the Remux option and now use .ts exclusively. Mind you, plex doesn't even record dvb subtitles now so not much use for uk or other European countries.

Further, a uk stream contains sources of varying framerate and sounds, and if plex has to transcode that recording it causes all sorted of trouble: for example, prior to a movie starting the previous show will be in one frame rate with 2.0 sound, but when the movie starts plex keeps sound at 2.0 and the wrong framerate.

Watching in kodi, the audio output will switch from 2.0 to 5.1 happily and with correct framerate.

Edited by afullmark

Yea I previously worked on it too and ffmpeg was raising errors on some streams and working fine on others. That's why I need to test it personally. It might not even end up going anywhere unfortunately.

maegibbons

@@Luke

Did you get anywhere with this?

I would prefer not to keep my tuner exposed fully to the outside world.

If you wish to test further anytime overnight uk time, I can leave it open to you if you can PM the possible subnet ranges that you may use as a source for this testing.  I can then firewall appropriately.

Krs

Mark

Edited by maegibbons

maegibbons

Also, excuse my ignorance, but is not this just a case of telling ffmpeg to copy the dvb stream using the map command into the mkv?

Krs

Mark

Also, excuse my ignorance, but is not this just a case of telling ffmpeg to copy the dvb stream using the map command into the mkv?

Krs

Mark

You'd think, but see post #10.

afullmark

Yea I previously worked on it too and ffmpeg was raising errors on some streams and working fine on others. That's why I need to test it personally. It might not even end up going anywhere unfortunately.

Plex hasn't really advanced with this either. Obviously it's a tough one.

• 3 weeks later...
maegibbons

Did you get anywhere with this @@Luke?

No, sorry. Going forward recording conversion is off by default. I would convert it afterwards using Folder Sync. We'll have a better way to do that in the future.

maegibbons

No, sorry. Going forward recording conversion is off by default. I would convert it afterwards using Folder Sync. We'll have a better way to do that in the future.

So are you saying that POST recording conversion using Folder sync will preserve the Subtitles?

Krs

Mark

It will go by the user settings of whoever schedules the conversion. It may not fit perfectly what you want but that's something we can easily adjust. The point being there are no blocking issues preventing it.