Transcoding because of audio codec

csadoian

csadoian

Using Emby Server for Windows 3.2.27.0.

Emby for Android TV 1.4.36g

I have noticed that when I watch certain live TV channels the Emby server will start transcoding the stream, with the reason given being the audio codec is not supported.  I have been unable to figure out what audio codec it's complaining about.  It would be nice if I could figure out what codec it needs on the Android box to avoid transcoding.

This happens quite a bit on OTA channels that feature networks like METV, COZI, etc.

The android box I am using is running Android 6.0.1.

Attached is my server log.  It will show transcoding on OTA channel 51.3 (Cozi TV).

Server.log.zip

Hi. Your system is reporting that it can only handle stereo audio.  Is it a true Android TV box?  What is it hooked to and how?  

csadoian

Hi. Your system is reporting that it can only handle stereo audio.  Is it a true Android TV box?  What is it hooked to and how?  

Nah, it's one of those clone boxes from China ... this one to be specific:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MU3HGYK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the only issue I've had with this box using Emby for Android TV ... didn't notice it at first because I am new to Emby and wasn't aware of the transcoding going on in certain situations.

I tried to use Emby for Android, but it doesn't run well on this box, mostly because the interface seems to want either touch or a mouse pointer.  Also, when I try to play live TV I can sometimes get a picture, other times the screen just goes black and I have to back out of the app completely to recover.  The Emby for Android TV works quite well, aside from the codec issue.

I might also mention if I go into App Settings (Emby for Android TV) and UNCHECK the "Direct stream live TV" option, the server does not attempt to transcode, but the video on my android box freezes (the audio continues to play).  If I CHECK that option the channel will play fine, but the server transcodes it.

Also, if I enable the option "Use External Player " under Live TV and then use the MX player to play it, no transcoding takes place and the channel plays fine.  Interesting that MX player has no trouble accepting the audio stream.  However, using an external player for live TV has caused "memory bloat" on the Emby server, especially when viewing channels in HD, so I had to discontinue that option.

For the time being I guess I will live with the transcoding.

csadoian

It was, but I also had the "Use External Player for Videos" checked off, which greyed out the "Audio Output" option.  I use an external player to play Videos, not Live TV.  Does the option "Audio Output" affect Live TV?  The fact that it is greyed out when the "Use External Player for Videos" is checked implies that setting doesn't affect Live TV.

Regardless, I tried both "Direct" and "Downmix to Stereo" and it didn't make a difference at all in Live TV.  It still transcoded the stream due to unsupported audio codec.

Edited by csadoian

csadoian

I fired up my tablet, which has Emby for Android installed.  I then tuned to the Live TV channel I was viewing on the Android TV box, and it direct plays on the tablet.  Using "Stats for Nerds", it gives me this info:

Player:   LibVlc Player

Play Method: Direct Play

Original Media Info

Container:  mpegts

Bitrate: 2.2mbps

Video Codec: H264 High

Video Bitrate: 2.0 Mbps

Audo Codec: AC3

Audio Bitrate: 192 kbps

Audio Channels: 2

Audio sample rate: 48000Hz

So, according to those stats, the channel has AC3  2 channel audio under direct play.  You said the logs show my Android TV box says it can only handle stereo audio, so the server is transcoding it to something else (you didn't say what).   Isn't AC3 2 channel audio stereo?

Ac3 is dolby. Does your TV support dolby? The hdmi handshake the app receives suggests it does not.

Edited by speechles

csadoian

Ac3 is dolby. Does your TV support dolby? The hdmi handshake the app receives suggests it does not.

It's just a budget 32" LCD TV .... I don't know if it supports AC3/Dolby.  The only thing listed in the setup menu under sound is Surround Sound.  That was off, so I turned it on, rebooted the Android box and then ran a test.  It still transcoded the TV stream.

csadoian

I find it interesting when I play the TV stream using an external player (free MX player) on the same device the stream is not transcoded.  However, I can't do that because it will cause the server's memory usage to rise to a point where all the memory is consumed and the server becomes unresponsive.

I find it interesting when I play the TV stream using an external player (free MX player) on the same device the stream is not transcoded.  However, I can't do that because it will cause the server's memory usage to rise to a point where all the memory is consumed and the server becomes unresponsive.

What happens if you check the "Use VLC for Live TV" box?

• Like 1

csadoian

What happens if you check the "Use VLC for Live TV" box?

Direct streaming with no transcoding (like when I check off the option "Use External Player for LIve TV") ... but the playback takes a long time to start and it stutters in both the audio and video (unusable).