Sometimes Roku app slow to get started

Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

Sometimes, usually after a period of not being used for a while, The Roku app laods and shows a spinning circle. Then after a period of 10-15 seconds the icons for my libraries load but the "continue playing" and "Next up" rows just sit there with a spinning icon. I have left the app at that point for as long as 5 minutes and the spinning never stops. However if I exit the app and restart it everything loads up in a reasonable time.

Is there a setting somewhere which could be causing this behavior?

The PC my Emby server is running on has had a Plex server on it for several years but I now use a Shield TV for my Plex server and Emby now has exclusive use of the server. All sleep and drive spindown functions are turned off/ Even the Lan ports and USP ports have been set to never allow sleep.

I have also noticed this behavior on other clients like my Shield TV and my Fire TV but I am most interested in getting my Roku working well with Emby.

BTW: Once it gets started I have been pretty impressed with Emby and may, if I can get a few glitches like the slow startup worked out, move my entire media consumption to Emby.

I am in the process of figuring out how to get pertinent logs but, as I am new to Emby and an old guy, it takes a little time to get things sorted out. If you need a particular log just point me to the correct place to get it and I will be happy to provide it.

Thanks for the attention to this.

It sounds like something is sleeping and taking a longer than usual time to respond.  Is this a remote connection?  Wired or wireless?

Gilgamesh_48

It sounds like something is sleeping and taking a longer than usual time to respond.  Is this a remote connection?  Wired or wireless?

Everything is wired and on the local network. I avoid wireless like the plague whenever I can and I do not stream remotely at all.

For what it is worth when Plex was running on the same computer it never was sluggish at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Gilgamesh_48

FWIW: I did not use Emby for a bit (several days) and when I began to use it again this problem reappeared on the first use. But then I had to take care of issues unrelated to TV and when I tried again the startup became quite reasonable. 

Since that time I have been using Emby for a few days and not once has the startup been slow. 

I guess whatever was causing the problem cured itself or I did something to fix it. However nothing I did over the time I was not using Emby touched anything in my video setup.

I will continue to keep a eye on things but I really think this was F.M. (Where the first word is obscene and the second is "magic" )

Now off to start another thread about a completely different issue. ;)