Low quality copy for download - where is that saved on the server?

TelemonianAjax

TelemonianAjax

I'm trying to convert a few TV seasons to stick onto an old Android phone with a 32GB card.  small screen, small processor, so I wanted it in low quality instead of what I had saved.  I can see on the server dashboard that the job has been converted but I'm having trouble getting the file to transfer to the phone's internal storage (can't save to external due to security issue with the phone unrelated to Emby).  So, since I've already converted the low quality file, can I just copy that from the server onto the card, mount the card to the phone, and bickety bam, low qual tv seasons on a device that is good for nothing but that? 

So, where is the server storing these low quality conversions?  The path I designated for transcode temp storage is empty (it is a whole partition on a hard drive, the whole thing is empty).  When I look in the C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server folder and poke around I dont see anything that looks like what I want.  That whole folder is 1.3GB , is that the right size or are my episodes hiding there somewhere?  Am I barking up the wrong tree, is there a way to have Emby convert down a queue of files to low quality and save it directly to a USB drive?  I feel like this download system is a black box as far as my understanding goes.  I've got server logs for the most recent episode I set to download, in case that helps.  Thanks!

TelemonianAjax

there should be a /sync folder under there. check inside that.

I see the sync folder.  There is a single folder inside with fandom number/ letter name, with another folder inside that with a different name.  Both folders have no other files I can see.  The upper level folder is dated about the time I started my first sync project but I'm not sure. 

I had set Buffy Season 6 and 7 to download, got notification they were converted and ready to transfer, but the phone stalled out during download and I cancelled the download.  Did that delete the converted files as well? Is there a way I can set Sync to just down-convert files to that Sync folder you mentioned WIHTOUT having to go through this old phone to initialisz the conversion?

Did you cancel the sync job? that would cause it to get deleted. otherwise the only way it gets deleted is when it successfully completes.

TelemonianAjax

Did you cancel the sync job? that would cause it to get deleted. otherwise the only way it gets deleted is when it successfully completes.

Thanks for the tips, When I looked at the successfully completed download for Angel S01E01 on the phone, it was the same size file as the original on the server.  Is that a matter of the original show being 480p or did I biff something along the way?  I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions, if there's a thread or resource I should be looking at to better see what's happening behind the curtain I am all ears. 

The quality settings go by bitrate values. so for example if you selected low quality and the video already has a lower bitrate than that quality level, then it might not need to be converted. Then it will just depend on whether audio needs to be converted or the container, etc.

TelemonianAjax

The quality settings go by bitrate values. so for example if you selected low quality and the video already has a lower bitrate than that quality level, then it might not need to be converted. Then it will just depend on whether audio needs to be converted or the container, etc.

That is just what I needed to know, thank you Luke!

Given the crap sources I'm working with and the small screen I want them to play on (my kid loves late 90s TV) Handbrake down to 240p is giving me a fantastic space saving.  Now that I know how it works, I'll use Emby for the movie collection being shrunk down to a player size.