HDHomeRun Prime 3x2 (HDHR3-6CC-3X2)

pir8radio

pir8radio

Well, It arrived today!  @ would be proud.   I've been stalking ebay for a while now, watching...... Waiting, for one of the rack mount HDHomeRuns to show up for less than the $1,700 SiliconDust wants for a new unit...   I know these are just two regular HDHomeRuns in one box, but the geek in me likes the rack enclosure..  Which, by the way, SiliconDust wouldn't sell me by itself lol  :D

If I didn't find such a good deal on this, I think I would have just bought a cheap 19" enclosure from ebay and built my own...    

I just wanted to post an internal image of the unit, for anyone looking to build their own..   The power supply in this unit was replaced, it blew up once (brown mark), the seller included an extra power supply.  I couldn't find an internal image on the web when looking to make my own rack version, so it is the last image here.    

59977f1f86a0f_1534500911.jpg59977f2c97bbe_1534500913.jpg59977f37cd666_1534500912.jpg59977f44abe9d_20170818_172757_IMG_1159.j

That's It!   Nothing to it..  Why they charge so much for it is beyond me.

Edited by pir8radio

mediacowboy

It would be better if they would get the new 6 Tuners on 1 out. That's for sharing as I do have two primes.

• Like 1

pir8radio

It would be better if they would get the new 6 Tuners on 1 out. That's for sharing as I do have two primes.

Yea I know, I have the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH that I used to use with WMC, it is one input, one cable card, 6 tuners...   I wish it worked with emby.. But too late, I bought this....

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I don't understand why it is taking so long. I thought a saw a proof of concept back in 2015 on a ces video.

Guest asrequested

AWWW man! You lucky dog! But you know what? You gave me an idea. I think I may make my own :D FUN TIMES!!!!!!

Edited by Doofus
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Here's the one I ordered. Scroll down, to see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-1U-Rack-Mount-Equipment-Enclosure-19-x-1-75-x-9-75-inches/222550034786?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm gonna get a used prime, too. I want to take it apart and see how I can mount the components. 

Edited by Doofus

pir8radio

Here's the one I ordered. Scroll down, to see it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/19-1U-Rack-Mount-Equipment-Enclosure-19-x-1-75-x-9-75-inches/222550034786?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm gonna get a used prime, too. I want to take it apart and see how I can mount the components. 

I don't know if this helps, but what i was going to do was have the LED's point out of the front, and have the cablecards and what not hidden inside the enclosure. Since you need two coax feeds, I was going to install the splitter inside the enclosure so only one RF port was coming out the back, using one of these bulkhead connectors: http://www.telegartner.de/media/images/ew-evelations-icon/j01602a0000_J01602A0000_1.jpg    Then put a small +5vdc power supply inside the case as well, like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Velleman-PSIN02505N-SWITCHING-POWER-SUPPLY-25-W-5-VDC-CLOSED-FRAME-/331877445971?epid=1073198900&hash=item4d456ff153:g:58IAAOSwLnBXWaD2     

Good luck buddy, I think it will turn out nice..  especially if you just have the LED's peeking through the front.   Make a little "doofus" logo for the front!   :o  ^_^

Guest asrequested

What I'm hoping to find, once I open up a prime, is that the LEDs aren't attached to the PCB. If that's the case, I'll mount the boards at the back, like the unit you just got. It'll be easier that way, for the cabling. Hopefully I'll be able to extend the LEDs to the front panel. Failing that, I may cut the enclosure to match the size of the prime, and simply mount the whole unit inside. Either way, the LEDs will definitely be showing. I'll take pics and post my progress.

Edited by Doofus

pir8radio

What I'm hoping to find, once I open up a prime, is that the LEDs aren't attached to the PCB. If that's the case, I'll mount the boards at the back, like the unit you just got. It'll be easier that way, for the cabling. Hopefully I'll be able to extend the LEDs to the front panel. Failing that, I may cut the enclosure to match the size of the prime, and simply mount the whole unit inside. Either way, the LEDs will definitely be showing. I'll take pics and post my progress.

The led's on a normal Prime are soldered to the board (see below image) the rack mount primes use the unused 10 pins to the left of the LED's for a remote front panel display.     I still think putting a small gigabit switch, coax splitter, and power supply inside the case would be cool, because you only have one coax, one power, and one Ethernet port on the back for the whole unit..  at least that was my thinking... 

Note the unused 3 pins by the power plug, this is where the rackmount unit has power hooked up..

59987e298030e_HDHomerunadapterPCBtopside

Edited by pir8radio

mediacowboy

The led's on a normal Prime are soldered to the board (see below image) the rack mount primes use the unused 10 pins to the left of the LED's for a remote front panel display. I still think putting a small gigabit switch, coax splitter, and power supply inside the case would be cool, because you only have one coax, one power, and one Ethernet port on the back for the whole unit.. at least that was my thinking...

59987e298030e_HDHomerunadapterPCBtopside

Issue with that is if the cable card fails. You have now way of accessing it. I know how likely is that to happen but electronics will be electronics.

Guest asrequested

It looks to me as though there aren't any pins in those spots. I could solder, but I don't want to. Now that I can see what it looks like (thanks for that), I'll be modifying the enclosure. As mediacowboy is saying, I want the cards exposed and removable, without having to take it apart. I was taking a closer look at the pictures of the enclosure. It would appear that it's modular. I should be able to fairly easily cut the aluminum to the size I want. I don't want to add a switch etc. inside, as the way i have my present cabling, configured, I would have to change it in a way I don't want. My primes are connected to a booster, along with my modem. Adding a splitter, I lose 3.5db, after boosting it. Having two sets of cabling is already in place. So that isn't a big deal. Plus, if one unit dies, it would be much easier to replace. I'll know more, once the enclosure arrives.

• Like 1

pir8radio

I have an HDHOMERUN prime and it is a great device but I would love more tuners. Can the Ceton 6 tuner (http://cetoncorp.com/products/infinitv-6-ethernet/) work with Emby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As doofus said, you need to use something like NextPVR .  I tried this and did not care for it..  Responsiveness is a bit lacking, guide sync is slow, recordings are stored within the NPVR software not in emby...  It worked, don't get me wrong, but it was not ideal for me. I tried remotely and locally.  

BAlGaInTl

I've thought a couple times about doing this with my old HDHomeRun units (OTA, not Prime).  I was thinking I could take them apart, and mount them to the back of a case like this and do a short run of fiber optic cable to the front of the case for the LED. 

Or you could do the opposite and mount it at the front and run Coax/Power to the rear of the case.

Once I get my rack up and going I may look in to this.

Edited by BAlGaInTl

Tur0k

You'd need to use a plugin. I have two primes, which I'm about take apart and put in one enclosure

No big deal I guess. The primes are cheap at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilky13

Have you seen the 8 tuner rackmounted HD Homerun tuner?

Edit: Never-mind looks like the 8 tuner is ATSC/Clear QAM.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/tech4-8us/

Only the 6 tuner is cable card, like in the original post.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/tech3-6cc/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13

Wilky13

That's 6 tuners and is the same unit that was bought in the OP. The 8 Turner is OTA, not cable.

Yeah, I got all excited! Then I realized I clicked the wrong link [emoji22]

Edited by Wilky13

Guest asrequested

Yeah, I got all excited! Then I realized I clicked the wrong link [emoji22]

Lol... I made the same mistake. I'd known about it but hadn't realized it was OTA. I'll have fun converting two primes.

• Like 1

tdiguy

That would be so much better if it only required one cable card. The really funny part is looking at that its so easy to see it is 2 hd home run prime units. Actually come to think of it the unit would be a lot better if it only needed 1 of everything, but that would require them creating a different board.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk