Server - Count how many devices use Emby Premiere

Mick877

Mick877

I have seen many people asking for the 15 devices limitation. Could it be possible to add a counter for understand wich device uses Emby Premiere? Something like this : 

Understand which device uses emby premiere and which no?

post-167572-0-10328500-1503054477_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 years later...
GrimReaper

I reckon that information would be more visible (and natural) on top of the Devices tab in the form of X/Y and/or badges overlayed on device thumbs, for those devices that actually count towards the limit, so one could at least count them manually. There's still lot of confusion around. 

Edit: Alternatively, even a copy/paste of the current generalized (almost hidden) status line info from Premiere tab would work towards it. 

Edited by GrimReaper76
Append

3 hours ago, GrimReaper76 said:

I reckon that information would be more visible (and natural) on top of the Devices tab in the form of X/Y and/or badges overlayed on device thumbs, for those devices that actually count towards the limit, so one could at least count them manually.

That won't be accurate because devices are per key not per server.  There are answers to why this isn't more readily available in the KB.

Is there a limit to Emby Premiere

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
jaycedk

@erb told me to continue here.

Guess I will resurrect this from the grave.

I would like to be shown premium usage under devices, and what premium feature used, and drop out date.

It's really hard to keep track off.

Personally I have not at any time reached the limit, but some sort of status, would be nice.

image.thumb.png.408744330bf77f8a43661f129fb527b7.png

Edited by jaycedk
  • Agree 1

jaycedk
On 2/21/2021 at 1:53 PM, ebr said:

That won't be accurate because devices are per key not per server.  There are answers to why this isn't more readily available in the KB.

I have to ask about this too.

1) why? are you not in control of this data ?

2) This can be pr. server ID right.

3) Admin would know, the numbers should be tallied up per server. 

Edited by jaycedk
spelling

45 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

I have to ask about this too.

1) why? are you not in control of this data ?

2) This can be pr. server ID right.

3) Admin would know, the numbers should be tallied up per server. 

Why can't I see which devices are counted in my limit?

The main reason we do not provide a way to do this at this time is security and privacy. To allow your server to see this exact information would require us to expose a public API that provides this information. Since we do not require you to have an account with us in order to use Premiere, there is no way for us to secure this API in a way that we are comfortable enough with to expose it. We are working on ways we may be able to do this in the future.

jaycedk

Thanks for that, and this link to an almost 8 year request.

• Like 1

jaycedk

I wonder how you then communicate to the server / app, that it has reached the limit.

If it's not safe to do so ?

7 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

I wonder how you then communicate to the server / app, that it has reached the limit.

If it's not safe to do so ?

That is a very simple communication.  Device -> Hi, I'm connecting now : Return -> Sorry, no, you are over the limit.

Nothing is transmitted back from the servers except a yes/no (actually a simple http response code).

By contrast, for your server to know about each device and its status will require our servers to transmit detailed information that would allow your server to match up device IDs, etc.

• Disagree 1

jaycedk

I get why you do it this way.

If the info was on the server, it could be manipulated.

And you don't want that, other wise you could not prohibit misuse of server and clients.

The info would still be great to have.

Emby is the first server / client system, where I could not count / see licens usage.

darkassassin07

Except that's not true: the server is also able to report that you are close to your limit.

I don't understand why you can't use the premier key itself to authenticate a request that responds with how many devices are currently used.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

Except that's not true: the server is also able to report that you are close to your limit.

That's a different process/call and only provides aggregate summary information - nothing that could be exploited (like device IDs).

5 hours ago, darkassassin07 said:

I don't understand why you can't use the premier key itself to authenticate a request that responds with how many devices are currently used

Because we believe that single layer of auth would not be secure enough to expose information like specific device IDs.

5 hours ago, jaycedk said:

The info would still be great to have.

I agree and we are still thinking about approaches but, as I've said many times before, this is very much a "back burner" thing as the VAST majority of users have no problem with the standard limit so this will only serve a small subset and we feel our time is better spent on the actual media system.

• Agree 1

darkassassin07
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

That's a different process/call and only provides aggregate summary information - nothing that could be exploited (like device IDs)

All anyone has been asling for is a single integer to be reported: how many device slots are in use right now.

No identifying info required or requested.

Nobody asked for device IDs, ip addresses, client names, users, or anything else; just one single number.

Why is this too much to ask for?

Turn that Boolean true/false into an integer. Thats it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

All anyone has been asling for is a single integer to be reported

7 hours ago, jaycedk said:

I would like to be shown premium usage under devices, and what premium feature used, and drop out date.

It's really hard to keep track off.

Personally I have not at any time reached the limit, but some sort of status, would be nice.

image.thumb.png.408744330bf77f8a43661f129fb527b7.png

darkassassin07
On 8/18/2017 at 4:08 AM, Mick877 said:

I have seen many people asking for the 15 devices limitation. Could it be possible to add a counter for understand wich device uses Emby Premiere? Something like this : 

Understand which device uses emby premiere and which no?

post-167572-0-10328500-1503054477_thumb.jpg

@ebr  the original request from 7 years ago, that you keep redirecting people too.

Could it be possible to add a counter for understand wich device uses Emby Premiere?

There's nothing stopping you implementing a simple 'x/25 slots used' on the dashboard. Identifying which clients are using those slots isn't necessary.

Edited by darkassassin07
  • Like 1

tedfroop21
9 minutes ago, darkassassin07 said:

All anyone has been asling for is a single integer to be reported: how many device slots are in use right now.

I spotted it on the example ebr posted it says 20 devices...............and I only have one eye........

darkassassin07
1 hour ago, tedfroop21 said:

I spotted it on the example ebr posted it says 20 devices...............and I only have one eye........

What are you talking about...? '20'? 

We're talking about how many device slots are in use for each individual premier license key. 

This information is not currently available to emby premier users. All we get is 'you're not close to your limit', 'you're close to your limit', and 'you've reached your limit'. No actual number of device slots currently in use.

Edited by darkassassin07
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
BlackDub

+1 we want know the number of people using premerieres features, no reasons for hide that

rbjtech

tbh, a simply plugin based on what's already listed in the T&C's will tell you how many 'Premier' licenses you have used and for what.

https://emby.media/premiereterms.html

Premiere Devices: Emby Premier shall allow for a certain amount of total devices per subscription for access to Premier only features and apps. Unless otherwise indicated on the website, Emby Premiere shall be limited to 25 Devices per Premiere key.

A "Premiere Device" is defined as any mobile, computer, or other electronic device which registers with the Emby server with a unique "device id". The device id is a uniquely generated id that is dependent on both device model, OS version, and application. Each unique device id shall be counted as a separate Device. It is possible that a single machine (whether mobile, desktop computer, or otherwise) with multiple applications installed on the machine may register as a new device id per application. In this event, each unique device id will be counted as separate devices.

Query the API via the \Devices will show all the devices in use - 

"Name": "Kitchen FireTV4K Stick / Panasonic TV",
      "Id": "16",
      "ReportedDeviceId": "****c7d5eccbc397",
      "LastUserName": "****",
      "AppName": "AndroidTv",
      "AppVersion": "2.0.95a",
      "LastUserId": "****917a0a8548d3a6d8f66f549a084c",
      "DateLastActivity": "2024-02-29T15:31:23.0000000Z",
      "IpAddress": "192.168.30.68"

Simply setup a lookup of AppName / Last Activity Date vs today date - that will get you the basic number of 'devices' that use emby premier.

The complication comes for Premier 'services' - I'm pretty certain this is going to be 'logged' - so it may be a case of looking in the log to see what service was used by what device.   Another complication is using a 'paid for' App on a Premier system - I'm presuming that doesn't use a license - but not 100%

So it's not easy to get a 'complete' picture - but it's fairly easy to get a 'by device' list as shown earlier in this thread ...

Apps - The following mobile, TV, and computer applications are available with a Premier Subscription:

Emby iOS app (current version 1.x - for iPhone and iPad available through Apple App Store)**
Emby Android Mobile app (current version 2.x - for Android-based phones and tablets - NOT TV devices – available through the Google App Store)**
Emby Android TV app (current version 1.x - for Google Nexus Player, Nvidia Shield Console and new model TVs with "Android TV" built in - available through the Google App Store) **
Emby Fire TV app (current version 1.x - for Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick 1st and 2nd gen - available through the Amazon App Store) **
Emby Theater 2.0 (current version 2.x - for Windows computers - available through the Emby website)
Emby Roku channel (current version 2.x - Live TV Guide - available through the Roku Channel Store)***
Server Plugins – The following server plugins are available with a Premier Subscription (Server plugins are downloadable through the server web interface).***

CoverArt - Provides enhanced image treatments for media posters. Allowing you to customize their look and provide additional media information on the cover itself.
Trailers - Provides current streaming trailers from various public sources.
Server Configuration Backup - Provides backup and restoring of most server configuration settings.
Genre Cleaner - Allows you to customize the genres on your media items by defining automatic mappings. e.g. all "Sci-Fi" and "Science Fiction" can be automatically merged into one "Science Fiction" genre.
Podcasts - Provides various public podcast feeds for display and playback within Emby apps. e.g. Ted Talks
Server Features – The following Server features are available with a Premier Subscription (through the server web interface).***

Mobile Sync - Sync your media to your supported Emby mobile app for off-line access and playback. (Currently supports the Windows 8.1 app)
Cloud Sync - Sync your media to your cloud account for easy remote access. (Currently supports for Google Drive)
Folder Sync - Sync your media to any file-system folder providing alternate versions converted for easier playback on some mobile devices.
Live TV Series Recordings - Setup recordings to record episodes of shows via the internal Live TV feature of the server. (Repeat series recordings are only available with Emby Premiere.)****
Cinema Mode - Play current trailers and/or custom intros before your video playback for that true "Cinema" experience. Works in conjunction with the Trailers plug-in.

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1