Emby Users - Save Language preference per Movie / TV Series?

kuldan

Hi,

I'm one of (I presume) many people using emby from a bi/trilingual background, and as such have TV Shows that often have more than one audio track (German / English / Japanese in my case). 

You can set your preferred languages for Audio Tracks in emby of course, but I would like to see this expanded a bit: It would be awesome, if you could set the default language for a Movie / TV Show / Season seperately
on a per-user basis.

For example, I might have a show with a German and an English Audio track, and our defaults are set to German (the language spoken in our household), but I personally might prefer to watch this particular show in English
and my Wife and kids in German - right now I have to change the language every time I start a new episode, and it would be awesome to be able to save my preferences for the whole show attached to my user. 

Also, this could (and should) be extended to subtitles and display of the same - it would be awesome to have Anime shown in German to my family, but to me, in Japanese with enabled subtitles (embedded in the video), but disabled
for them watching in German.

Just my 2cents to make emby more enjoyable for a broader target audience - and thank you for your hard work!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Yes, I know - but like I said, it would be nice to set this for the whole Show or season - as I have stated, right now I have to change it again for every NEW episode I'm watching... rewatching episodes is something else and is nice, but not what I was proposing....

• 3 years later...
Pitchblack

3 years bump!

Hi,

I opened a feature request about the exact same thing yesterday but the ticket was closed because this one is still opened from 3 years ago.

I'm currently running Emby Linux 4.5.0.20 beta and this feature doesn't exist.
Is there any plan in the pipeline to have this feature?
We need to be able to pre-select audio/subtitles for a whole series or season in one shot and have these preferences saved instead of these preferences only being remembered after you've selected them individually on each video file.

Please give an update on whether this idea is being considered or not and why.
Thank you!

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, Bazzu85 said:

Hi, any news about this feature?

Hi, not yet, sorry.

• 1 month later...
Mkilbride

Really, really badly want this feature.

For some reason Plex selects the correct subtitles for my anime series. But Emby always selects the wrong ones. I.e, two subtitle choices are "English Signs" and "English Dialogue", Emby selects "English Signs", meaning I have to change it for every episode.

Plex however, for whatever reason, appears to pick English Dialogue. I'd love to be able to universally select subtitles for an entire series or in the automatic selection tab, be able to specify "Dialogue" tracks over others.

• Like 1

pwhodges

So you want a way to tell Emby to select a subtitle by name?  Every downloaded series uses different names - there is no standardisation.  Some anime I have even lies about the language of the subtitles, using "English" for "Signs & Songs" (because you use it with the English soundtrack), and "Japanese" for "Dialogue" (because you use it with the Japanese soundtrack).  Then there's the issue of which order in the file streams the two are presented in, and whether one has either the default or the forced flag.

Without knowing all of that, I can't begin to guess how Plex is making its choice in this instance - but I'm willing to bet I could immediately find a download in my collection which would work right in Emby and wrong in Plex!

However, when I have a whole series which has defaults different from what I want and what works with my Emby settings, I agree it would be nice if there was a way to tell Emby that I want this or that audio and sub (just by ordinal number would do) for the whole series in advance.

Paul

Mkilbride

Exactly.

Because they're the same each time.

So say "Dialogue" is the 2nd option, I could just select "Put all Subtitle tracks to #2" and bam, save me a lot of time.

pwhodges

Since the last used track is already remembered, the data structure to save this information is already there - it only requires the option to make and store the selection (essentially the same code for audio and subs, I imagine).I picture an entry on the three-dot menu for the series, and also by season (I have some series with different audio and sub options in different seasons, so handling that would be necessary).

Paul

• 11 months later...
amura11

I would really like to see this feature. The main use case I've run into is Anime that has multiple audio tracks. Depending on the series it may be desirable to watch it in not the default language. While changing the language and subtitles isn't that hard for me, my partner is less technically inclined and finds it cumbersome.

Until this feature is written a fairly simple and permanent workaround I found is to use MKVToolNix to change the default language of files that need it. Not perfect and won't solve every situation but is a decent stopgap solution.

• 1 month later...
semioniy

Hi. @Luke, are there any updates on this feature? People keep requesting it, and it'd be reeeally handy.
Smth like right-klicking on a season / series → choose preffered audio / sub → it loads audio/subs from first episode from this collection → you choose one, and for every other episode of this collection a dub/sub with the same name is selected if present.

• 10 months later...

I think having it remember the language per series makes the most sense. That's something we are planning on looking at.

• Like 2

Normanos

@Luke, please make it possible. 

Also have situations where I want to watch one TV show with default language, another in different language. 

Some times it's bit annoying if need to change audio track for each episode.. . 

semioniy
On 10/04/2023 at 22:48, Luke said:

I think having it remember the language per series makes the most sense. That's something we are planning on looking at.

Just as a note, different seasons can have different sets of audio tracks. One was dubbed, another not, another dubbed by 2 different studios (but I prefer Studio B over Studio A). IMO, "remember per series" + override by "remember per season" would make more sense.

• 2 months later...
LittleKinder

Hello any news,

Currently rewatching a tv show and it's tedious to manually change the language/subtitles for every episode

Like others said, it would be convenient to be able to choose the language/subtitles for a whole show or collection of movie

Thanks

26 minutes ago, LittleKinder said:

Hello any news,

Currently rewatching a tv show and it's tedious to manually change the language/subtitles for every episode

Like others said, it would be convenient to be able to choose the language/subtitles for a whole show or collection of movie

Thanks

HI, not yet, but more options for this are planned for future updates. Thanks.

• Like 2

LittleKinder
Just now, Luke said:

Thank you for the answer

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
LittleKinder
On 7/9/2023 at 11:23 PM, Luke said:

Hello,

Speaking about future updates, is there a Jira or something where we can see what you guys are working on? and what you have planned for future releases?

I'm just curious and interested, I saw the post when a release is rolled out, but couldn't find something about some sort of backlog

Thank you

1 hour ago, LittleKinder said:

Hello,

Speaking about future updates, is there a Jira or something where we can see what you guys are working on? and what you have planned for future releases?

I'm just curious and interested, I saw the post when a release is rolled out, but couldn't find something about some sort of backlog

Thank you

HI, the testing area of the community is the best place to follow what's going on with the beta releases. Thanks.