Motion Artifacts - HD LIVE TV

pir8radio

Guest asrequested

the end result just means that yadif is applied, which shouldn't do any harm though.

In this case, I agree. But when it incorrectly reads an interlaced video as progressive, then you get problems. 

Guest asrequested

Curiously, testing a recording now, with the emby ffmpeg and ffprobe, it now detects that it's interlaced. Luke, did you work some magic, somewhere?

59af7bd857cbd_Snapshot_203.jpg

In this case, I agree. But when it incorrectly reads an interlaced video as progressive, then you get problems. 

Not really if the only difference during playback is yadif being applied.

Guest asrequested

Not really if the only difference during playback is yadif being applied.

But if you look at my earlier posts, it wasn't getting it correct. I just wondered if you'd adjusted something? Either way, it would now appear that it's working correctly :)

• 3 weeks later...
mwongjay

I still have issues with interlaced live tv not being deinterlaced. 

{
    "Protocol":"Http",
    "Id":"c4fa66987b304029a2d9a73831b951a2_native_f12f12fbf432f2c1bcb7a046a44ce237_9ce3323e3420db9e40d6f1d1f7f39a0b",
    "Path":"http://127.0.0.1:8096/LiveTv/LiveStreamFiles/cdcf8f48d87244ea9c02cfc91c968d6d/stream.ts",
    "Type":"Default",
    "Container":"ts",
    "IsRemote":false,
    "ReadAtNativeFramerate":false,
    "IgnoreDts":true,
    "IgnoreIndex":false,
    "GenPtsInput":false,
    "SupportsTranscoding":true,
    "SupportsDirectStream":true,
    "SupportsDirectPlay":false,
    "IsInfiniteStream":true,
    "RequiresOpening":true,
    "RequiresClosing":true,
    "SupportsProbing":false,
    "EnableMpDecimate":false,
    "LiveStreamId":"a17c75760a04e99b68cf766e11316e1c_09efa0d56b934a82adec00a87b837fb0_c4fa66987b304029a2d9a73831b951a2_native_f12f12fbf432f2c1bcb7a046a44ce237_9ce3323e3420db9e40d6f1d1f7f39a0b",
    "BufferMs":0,
    "RequiresLooping":false,
    "MediaStreams":[
        {"Codec":"mpeg2video","IsInterlaced":true,"BitRate":15000000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Video","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false},
        {"Codec":"AC3","DisplayTitle":"Dolby Digital","IsInterlaced":false,"BitRate":448000,"IsDefault":false,"IsForced":false,"Type":"Audio","Index":-1,"IsExternal":false,"IsTextSubtitleStream":false,"SupportsExternalStream":false}
    ],
    "Formats":[],
    "Bitrate":15448000,
    "RequiredHttpHeaders":{}
}

The above output from the log shows identifies the video as interlaced, but the yadif flag is still not applied. I'm still hoping you guys can come up with a solution to manually force this flag to be applied. In another post I had mentioned possibly setting a value in the channel mapping to force deinterlacing for specific channels. Another option could be to add a menu item to the client where other settings are (Quality, Zoom, Playback Correction) that allows a user to force deinterlace for a specific program. 

• 5 months later...
mwongjay

Just want to post an update for my solution to watching live tv and forcing transcoding thereby deinterlacing the content for live tv.

I set my max bitrate on all my clients to the first bitrate below the raw stream bitrate to force transcoding only for live tv. In my case that's 15Mbps on my clients (AFTVs) with the raw stream at 21Mbps. My movies and shows have a lower bitrate than 15Mbps and are therefore not subjected to transcoding. I set the encoding preset to superfast and the CRF to 21. I came across this post (https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/38696-anyway-to-tweak-transcoding-quality/page-2) suggesting these values don't affect recordings and I'm presuming this applies to live tv, however, it's from 2016 so not sure if it's still relevant and in my experience changing the encoding CRF and preset did appear to impact the image quality of live tv and the number of simultaneous live transcoded streams my system was capable of handling.

While this approach isn't for everyone mostly due to hardware constraints I do not fall in that camp and simply wanted all live tv to be transcoded so it is deinterlaced.

Edited by mwongjay