Can't play/resume using the play button

Jorpd
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

Hi,

Since 3.2.27.0 I'm no longer able to press the play button to begin playing/resume meda from the up next or continue watching sections on the Roku 3 homescreen.

I have to use OK to traverse in to the episode details page and select play from there.

Just to clarify, I can play/pause during playback, it's not a remote issue. The button is being recognised at the homescreen but I get the tone played which suggests the action can't be completed.

Thanks

dcook

I have the same issue, play button does not work, must use the OK button now.

It used to work fine.

Roku Premiere+

Edited by dcook

Gilgamesh_48

I see that you are looking into this and that is a good thing.

Do you have any idea when a fix will happen?

The proper use of the "Play" button is important to me and might allow me t use Emby instead of Plex.

Gilgamesh_48

I believe the next server version (due very soon) should fix this.  Thanks.

Server??? But it is not a server issue is it? 

The play button in the Roku app does not start is that not a problem in the Roku app or are others apps failing in the same way?

Gilgamesh_48

We're looking into it, thanks guys. 

While that is a response and most probably a valid one it is not an answer. All answers are responses but not all responses are answers.

I am wanting to move some or all of my media consumption from Plex to Emby but this is a showstopper. I just want to press "play" and have my media play but that is not working and a general idea of when/if it will be fixed is reasonable to ask. 

It is also reasonable for users to expect the response to a serious bug to be more that the platitude of "We're looking into it."

​All I really want to know is how soon I can expect to be able to test Emby to decide if it fits my needs. I cannot effectively test without Emby  functioning in a manner that I will be using it in. 

Edited by Gilgamesh_48

Gilgamesh_48

The next server release should fix it for you.  Thanks.

When you said that earlier I asked how the server could fix a problem with pressing the play button in the app. There has been no response to that question. I have since verified that other apps are not impacted in this manner. That is the ones I have tested have normal operation from their play button.

It really seems that the problem is in the app not the server. 

dcook

It would be nice if the Devs gave more detailed answers instead of just we are looking into it, or it will be fixed in the next release.

Often times they are just short 2 or 3 word answers that does not give any info at all.

Does not take much time to write a sentence or two telling us why it broke and when it will be fixed.

Gilgamesh_48

Well I do NOT understand how or why BUT I just updated to the latest server and it fixed the play button problem

Thanks guys and I apologize for having doubts. I bow to the superior powers of the devs to know the inner workings of their products.

But I would like to know a little bit of the how and why just to make me feel that this was not a case of F.M. Where the "F" stands for an obscene word and the "M" for magic.  :wacko:  ;)  :)

Jdiesel

It would be nice if the Devs gave more detailed answers instead of just we are looking into it, or it will be fixed in the next release.

Often times they are just short 2 or 3 word answers that does not give any info at all.

Does not take much time to write a sentence or two telling us why it broke and when it will be fixed.

Well I do NOT understand how or why BUT I just updated to the latest server and it fixed the play button problem

Thanks guys and I apologize for having doubts. I bow to the superior powers of the devs to know the inner workings of their products.

But I would like to know a little bit of the how and why just to make me feel that this was not a case of F.M. Where the "F" stands for an obscene word and the "M" for magic.  :wacko:  ;)  :)

Perfect example of why the users don't always need details, most of the time we don't understand the inner workings of the software and even if we do there isn't much we can do to fix it. I too am tired of the standard "report a problem" line but it really is the best thing we can as users if we want something to be fixed.

@@Luke @@ebr I assume this is because the app requests an endpoint where the server is building a video queue to play through to the roku. So pressing play directly on a TV episode would ask the server to build the queue of that episode and any subsequent ones if play next episode is checked on the server and to wait for playstart events from the server to start each episode. This is smarter indeed. But isnt required for me.

So I guess, the real question I have is if the app builds the play queue itself and uses its own mechanisms to advance through this queue it built requesting playstarts itself will the server still allow this in the future? I ask because as of 2018 I cannot update the rokuBN app. So I only ask so as to keep the app working. Also while on the subject are there any major changes I should be aware of that are upcoming that might need massaging into the app? Thanks for any insight. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Sometimes you do just have to trust that we do know what we are doing :).  Notice that the feature broke with a server release as well...  In any case, thanks for confirming it is now working for you.

As mentioned above, more details many times will just confuse the issue but to the statement above, multiply that by several hundred each day and you can see that sometimes we do need to be brief just to be able to respond to everyone (oh, and also maybe develop some features :)).

@@Luke @@ebr I assume this is because the app requests an endpoint where the server is building a video queue to play through to the roku. So pressing play directly on a TV episode would ask the server to build the queue of that episode and any subsequent ones if play next episode is checked on the server and to wait for playstart events from the server to start each episode. This is smarter indeed. But isnt required for me.

So I guess, the real question I have is if the app builds the play queue itself and uses its own mechanisms to advance through this queue it built requesting playstarts itself will the server still allow this in the future? I ask because as of 2018 I cannot update the rokuBN app. So I only ask so as to keep the app working. Also while on the subject are there any major changes I should be aware of that are upcoming that might need massaging into the app? Thanks for any insight. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

This particular issue was simply a change of data being returned from the server.  It was not related to playing multiple items or any queuing.  The app handles its own queue.

dcook

@@ebr

Instead of:

"We're looking into it, thanks guys."

or

"The next server release should fix it for you.  Thanks."

If you had stated:

This particular issue was simply a change of data being returned from the server, please update your server to the newest version and the issue should now be resolved.

That would be much better.  

We are not children and with you and Luke responding with 2 or 3 words abrupt answers, instead of proper sentences comes across as disrespectful and not caring about your users.

• Like 1