Scan media library hanging since the new release

Guest virtualtinker
Go to solution Solved by Guest virtualtinker,

Guest virtualtinker

Updated to dev build while running Fiddler.  api.fanart.tv still hangs the job during the media scan.  After disabling the image fetcher for fanart.tv, the scan runs but just as before, none of my media gets populated.

danxmanly

So.. with every reference of fanart unticked.. and there were a few I missed again buried in the music section, my library has completed its scan.  Everything has updated, but unfortunately has overwritten quite a few of my own artwork and ordering of some TV series. 

One thing I do see that is not working though, is if I go to edit a movie within MB Server, images, then browse online images.. all I get is a spinning wheel and no artwork is ever found.  Tried on multiple movies I wanted to update artwork on.

I've done one restart of the server, one reboot of the computer, but same effect.  I have not gone back an reticked all the fanart boxes.. will save that for tomorrow.

But.... at least by unchecking all the fanart references the scan completed.. and my artwork is back.

• Solution
Guest virtualtinker

Thanks again Luke for the screen sharing session.

To those others having problems with the latest release, we found two problems.  Regarding the stalled scan jobs, it looks like there is some sort of problem with the fanart.tv which as best as Luke could tell, seemed to be a problem on their server.  For the time being until that's resolved, simply disabling the fanart.tv image fetcher should resolve that.

The other issue I had was that none of my media would get populated properly.  It turns out that as of this build, somehow you can't have a trailing / at the end of your media locations.  Once we took the trailing / out, my media was populating properly.  I can only assume from talking with Luke that this is a sort of bug and will get addressed in a later build so the trailing / will work again as it had in the past.

the spinning wheel is the same fanart issue. even if you disable it from the automatic fetcher you still get all of them in the manual one. there is a problem with fanart servers right now causing requests to just hang, neither completing nor timing out.

@@Kode are you around to look at this? I did a teamviewer session with him and found some fanart requests hanging on this machine, with others working as expected. Putting the xml url into his browser exhibited the same behavior, so it is not specific to Media Browser. Thanks.

I encountered the stuck scan after a new install, not an upgrade.    It was stuck for 2 hours before I killed it.  I had added 4 media folders totally about 5TB.  Then I tried again but only added 1 media folder at a time, letting the scan complete before adding the next folder.   This worked fine.

• 2 weeks later...
ralphmcralphie

Sorry to bump this thread, but since downloading release 3.0.5171.19958 the movie images no longer showed up using MB3 classic.

All of the metadata is still in the relevant directories.  So I checked the dashboard and the 'Scan Media Library' seems to have gotten stuck at 46.1%.  So I tried stopping it but that doesn't seem to have done anything it just says 'stopping'.

I have tried the fix suggested in this thread - to uncheck the box for the scan to check fanart image fetcher, but when I scanned again today it go stuck again at 46.1%.

I've sunk so many hours into getting my collection into shape so its disappointing that none of the images are loading, particularly when they are there.

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful - I have posted my latest log.  Or is there any way to roll back to the release before this one which seemed to be working fine?

Thanks in advance

server-63529941678.log

ralphmcralphie

Yes, I trawled through all the different types of media to uncheck fanart - even the media types I don't use.

It's probably not relevant, but I run media browser server on two pcs - my htpc and another pc.

Thanks for helping and any other suggestions you might have.

ralphmcralphie

Disable more what?

Is there a way to roll this back to the previous version which didn't hang when it scanned my media libraries?

ralphmcralphie

Thanks.  I can only imagine how difficult it is to program something like media browser 3 for it to work on every different system out there.

I'm going to head on over to xbmc and see if I can get that to work on my system.

i'm sure with a bit more trial and error it can be hunted down. did you try removing all plugins?

It's probably not relevant, but I run media browser server on two pcs - my htpc and another pc.

It might be.  Are both servers scanning at the same time?  Do they both point at the same media files?  If so, you need to be sure you disable all saving of metadata on one of the servers so that they aren't both trying to write to the same files at the same time.

• 1 year later...
Doctor Bob

"Can anyone else who's having this issue confirm if they may have rebooted the computer before MB server completed the library scan after latest update?"

Yes, I have been experiencing the same hanging problem on Scan media library, Refresh Guide and People.

I powered off the PC that hosts the Emby server, powered it back on and the media scan worked as normal (sucessful scan).

Just to add, when the media scan hangs restarting the Emby Server service did not resolve the problem.

Edited by Doctor Bob

• 5 months later...
burnsybeard

All scans are either slow or hung as far as I can tell. Setup here is the following.

1st Ubuntu Server ( providing file storage only ) configured with NFS

2nd Ubuntu Server (emby server) has mount points to the media directories with full read / write

When managing meta data;

1. downloading selected images for posters etc, seems to never complete

2. Identify function finds the right media identifer but when selected is hung with the spinning circle

Not sure what else to do.

Many thanks