Audio stuttering making Emby borderline unusable

Brian M

Brian M

Currently running 3.2.26.0 on a Raspberry Pi 3 & Raspbian and Kodi 17.3. I don't know which version this started with, but it may be the most recent.

Audio will be perfect when I start a video. If I interrupt playback for any reason, the audio stutters to the point that movies are unwatchable when playback is resumed. Fast-forwarding or rewinding, chapter skipping, or playback stopping for no good reason (which will be the subject of another post) all result in the issue.

If I resume playing the movie, the audio will stutter from the very beginning.It doesn't matter if I resume from current location, or play from the beginning. The issue does not seem to repeat if I switch videos.

Attached are two logs from two different occurrences. I'm sure I left some vital information out of the post.

EDIT: forgot to add, streaming to a FireTV box.

server-63638058167.txt

server-63638092800.txt

Edited by Brian M

Brian M

@@Brian M what kind of video files are these?

Everything is MKV at this point. Video and audio format depends on the individual file. If you need more specific, I can gather that as I have trouble with individual videos.

It is direct playing through the emby http server so either it is just not getting there fast enough or the fire tv can't handle it. what is the video codec, is it hevc?

Brian M

It is direct playing through the emby http server so either it is just not getting there fast enough or the fire tv can't handle it. what is the video codec, is it hevc?

No, never HEVC. I'm positive 99% of the videos I've ripped myself are h264 with AC3 passthrough audio. Videos from other sources are a mix, but I would guess that most of them are h264 and AAC or whatever's most common these days. I avoid HEVC as I've heard that the Fire devices can't handle it.

I don't see how it can be an issue of videos not getting there fast enough. I didn't have this problem a month ago.

Edited by Brian M