1.4.36 question about which version is chosen

MndWrp

MndWrp

Well the title says it all... everything was working fine before that version.

I usually keep 2 versions of a movie, one 1080p with high quality sound (mostly dts) for my home theater and one 720p stereo for phones and tablets.

It seems that now to avoid transcoding, it plays the 720p file on my home theater setup. Playback device is a nexus player and sound goes out through a denon receiver that has no problem with dts.

I sent a log via the interface if that can help.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not convinced this is related to the new app version because nothing on the app side related to choosing which version has changed.

Do you also run the beta server?

Has anything else about the media changed?

Have you played this exact item previously and it behaved differently?

MndWrp

I'm not convinced this is related to the new app version because nothing on the app side related to choosing which version has changed.

Do you also run the beta server?

Has anything else about the media changed?

Have you played this exact item previously and it behaved differently?

I used to run the beta until i noticed the dts playback problem. I opted out of the beta and reverted to the previous stable 1.4.17 and that fixed the issue but when the latest stable version got installed the issue came back.

I mention dts because other movies with aac 5.1 work fine.

Nothing has changed about the media and I am very strict about naming and defaults and languages etc. I tested a bunch of them randomly before I figured the issue was probably related to dts playback.

This particular item was not tested before but it behaves like all my previous tests.

Thanks for the help!

MndWrp

Also... my dts tracks are the core audio and not dts hd ma... if that can be a clue... ??

I used to run the beta until i noticed the dts playback problem. I opted out of the beta and reverted to the previous stable 1.4.17 and that fixed the issue but when the latest stable version got installed the issue came back.

If you had reported this during the beta, I imagine we would have solved it before it went to production :).

I cannot think of anything app side that should have affected this but, obviously, there is something.  Luke and I will need to discuss it.

MndWrp

Sorry about not reporting during the beta... my bad. I haven't had time until now.

I used to run the beta until i noticed the dts playback problem. I opted out of the beta and reverted to the previous stable

Well that's not recommended due to database changes created by the beta. The older stable release will not know how to react to them. But if you're happy then we're happy too.

MndWrp

Well that's not recommended due to database changes created by the beta. The older stable release will not know how to react to them. But if you're happy then we're happy too.

Well... not quite so happy since I cannot playback dts audio right now, but in general the whole product line makes me very happy [emoji2]

What is the bitrate setting in the app and what are the bitrates of the two different versions of the item(s) in question?

MndWrp

Bitrate in the app set to auto.

The files related to the earlier log...

1080p version

- video bitrate = 28189 kbps

- audio bitrate of dts 5.1 = 1536 kbps

720p version

- video bitrate = 3017 kbps

- audio bitrate of aac stereo = 192 kbps

Edited by MndWrp

Okay, that's the answer then.  We changed the way "auto" determines a bitrate based on the device's official specs (we had reports of people having trouble playing content because it was beyond the capabilities of the device rather than the network connection).

So, on a NP, when in "auto" and on the local LAN the bitrate will be maxed at 21Mb/s.  That is causing the lower quality item to be chosen because it can still direct stream.

If you set the app bitrate to 30, you should get the version of the film you used to.

MndWrp

Ahhh... wonderful. I will give it a try but it seems counterintuitive that auto is maxed without a setting or a mention.

MndWrp

It works! ...although if i found that by chance i probably would have reported it as a bug anyway.

Thanks for the help again.

Awesome software!

Ahhh... wonderful. I will give it a try but it seems counterintuitive that auto is maxed without a setting or a mention.

Well the auto setting is just that - it means it will try to choose the best setting it can based on all information available and one of those pieces of information is the device capabilities.  Now, the issue is that not all the devices have hard specs for this so we have to just guess.  I can try upping the max for the NP to 30 and see how that does.

MndWrp

Well the auto setting is just that - it means it will try to choose the best setting it can based on all information available and one of those pieces of information is the device capabilities. Now, the issue is that not all the devices have hard specs for this so we have to just guess. I can try upping the max for the NP to 30 and see how that does.

Well i put mine at 100 so im good [emoji2]