MB3, my first impressions

BillW

I just wanted to make a few comments about MB3. To sum it up in one word WOW.

I built my first HTPC last autumn, dropped my satellite provider and never looked back. My first interface was WMC with MB2. The setup was OK but I didn’t care much for the look of WMC. The TV section works solidly but I didn’t like the rest with the exception of the MB2 plugin. So I tried a different Media Center app. It looked fantastic but I’m not a programmer and was having quite a bit of difficulty getting everything to work right. It’s a great piece of software if you know what you’re doing, a challenge if you’re just a layman like myself. I can read and follow directions however I couldn’t write a line of code if my life depended on it. A couple of days ago I saw a plugin for the MB server on the other site. I knew how to sort my collection the way I want to present it with MB without trying to figure out playlists, nfo’s or tags.

Yesterday I installed MB server and took a chance on installing MBT. I know it just started Beta testing so I thought it would be filled with bugs. Man was I wrong. Within an hour I had it running with live TV enabled through WMC and the kylo plugin was the solution for all of our streaming needs. I never heard of it before yesterday.

Last night I had a hundred questions on how to set up users, add images and other general customizations. This morning I found the tutorial on the forum. Kudos to whoever put that together. It's a very detailed step by step set of instructions that even an old fossil like myself can follow.

The whole point to this post is to say Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for this great application. I knew what I wanted our HTPC experience to be but I really didn’t want to turn it into a second career. My experience so far has been pleasant. Easy to install, configure and operate. Of course I did mess up the server installation the first time. I am hoping that MB will make my HTPC like an appliance. Turn it on and it works.  

If you need any volunteers to test something out and give you an opinion from a layman’s perspective I’m willing to participate. In my life I found there is the right way, the wrong way and my way. My way usually causes me a lot of pain and a whole lot of unnecessary work. If I can get through setting something up you’ll be guaranteed it will work for most of the population.

Again thank you.   

• Like 3

Airbender

Hi

i did not see the update yet , i guess i have to wait as old say : good thing come to those who wait :) Still Great job guys Thanks

trusselo

So I tried a different Media Center app. It looked fantastic but I’m not a programmer and was having quite a bit of difficulty getting everything to work right. It’s a great piece of software if you know what you’re doing, a challenge if you’re just a layman like myself. I can read and follow directions however I couldn’t write a line of code if my life depended on it.

Last night I had a hundred questions on how to set up users, add images and other general customizations. This morning I found the tutorial on the forum. Kudos to whoever put that together. It's a very detailed step by step set of instructions that even an old fossil like myself can follow.

another satisfied former xbmc user.

Edited by trusselo
  • Like 1

Many thanks for your kind words, well done.

I will update the tut's for the server since many features been added when that tut's been done last .. I forgot when I did it actually :)

I am glad to see even it old, it help you in some way.

Welcome to the Media Browser community.