Server - Bitrate Limit based on connected IP/IP ranges (VPN relevant)

shorty1483

shorty1483

Since we now got

1. a general bitrate limitation from outside network

and 

2. a user based bitrate limitation from outside the network,

I think it's time now to take a little care of the users who are not keen enough to connect to their Emby server over without a VPN due to the country laws or just because they are just paranoid like me.

Most VPN connections as roadwarrior to in-home fullfill the following: The VPN clients are connected to a gateway in the home LAN, since most people do not build up an own DMZ to separate the VPN since for home use the whole bunch of routing is not worth the effort.

To have a proper working roadwarrior config that can use most of the home networking services, the most solution I've seen have either an own virtual VPN network (very often 10.x.x.x range), where the clients appear with the gateway IP in the home LAN or the clients lease their IP's directly from the LAN DHCP.

Conclusion:

In both above most common cases, none of the first mentioned rules do stick here. So when connected to the home network from outside via VPN, user has to manually set down Bitrate before streaming because not every country gets a ton of gigabytes data for free + Data connections are not a stable carrier for high bitrate files.

Proposal:

I hope you consider to show a little love to the above user group now by implementing also a bitrate limitation setting based on IPs/IP ranges.

Example / Use Case: The users connected to my Strongswan IPSec on Debian Server lease their IPs from the home LAN DHCP server in the range from 192.168.2.200-220. In Emby (perhaps under the overall bitrate limitiation setting) I can specify my VPN client IP range so that the overall bitrate Limitation is also applied to them. With this scenario I could leave the user bitrate setting to Auto in e.g. the Android app to get the highest possible bitrate in LAN, but when the same device is connected over VPN, the bitrate is limited to my desired value (e.g. 720p4Mbit).

598b441d57273_Unbenannt.jpg

If you find this proposal useful, please show some love and give it a thumbs up/thank you!

Edited by shorty1483