143 replies to this topic

#41 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • Local time: 05:50 PM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:38 PM

Im happy with it just being removed then - or the button just puts a message to use the NAS console to do this.

#42 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:51 PM

Still manually setting all this up - I cant for the life of me remember how the media folder 'images' are created as below from my existing system - i just have icons on my new NAS version :

59a75d6b66629_Capture.jpg

#43 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

Any idea when the DVBLink plugin will be showing to be added to this NAS setup ?

I was wanting to check it out - see if it offers anything more that just a library view over its content - seeing as I dont use guide or liveTV within Emby - just watch recorded TV.

#44 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts
  • Local time: 03:50 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

@vaise Emby is managed as a unix service, this means you need sufficient privileges to start and stop it. The emby service is run as a standalone unprivileged user for obvious security reasons, this means it can't manipulate its own service (and no process should be able to manipulate its own service anyway, that's what init systems are for). So right now the restart button inside the server will do nothing, you need to restart it from Netgear's admin interface.

Now I understand people might find that restart button attractive, and there is a way to get it working on Netgear thanks to systemd, which they (rightly so) chose as their init system. It is possible to set up a systemd service to always restart when its process despawns, for whatever reason. If the emby process were to gracefully commit suicide, systemd would spawn a new process to replace it, ie the restart button need only make emby shutdown, and systemd would take care of the rest.

@Luke Thoughts?

That might end up masking problems, so i'd prefer not to go that route unless we have a really good reason to.

#45 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

Just for my education - how come sickrage's restart button in that app works ok ?  Why is that different ?

#46 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2168 posts
  • Local time: 03:50 PM
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

This instalation was straight forward had no errors this time. I have 312 and it is not powerful for transcoding enabled transcoding and the whole nas was unresponsive until the recording finished. I have recorded two shows without transcoding both playable and the server was still usable to browse and play music so great work. 

#47 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:56 AM

Thanks @denz !

#48 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Local time: 09:50 AM
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 31 August 2017 - 03:42 AM

That might end up masking problems, so i'd prefer not to go that route unless we have a really good reason to.

Acknowledged.

Just for my education - how come sickrage's restart button in that app works ok ?  Why is that different ?

Sickrage either has a mechanism that allows it to fully restart without killing its process, or it runs as a priviledged user and can manipulate its service, which is bad practice.

#49 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 04:27 AM

I can confirm transcoding on a 314 is not going to work.......

I set it to record a few TV shows in the background with DVBLink - Tried to watch one recorded TV show - so slow - aborted.  Initial load also slow.

Im sure a more modern NAS with multi core CPU's would be better.

Im thinking of separating the workloads however - 24/7 Backend stuff (LiveTV Recording, downloading, auto-organise etc) on the NAS, front end delivery to Roku's from the /normal' PC that can then be asleep most of the time.

#50 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

I think there is an issue with transcoding I am testing the new. Core on Windows and while it is transcoding the server is unresponsive. I get same result using readynas I doubt it could transcode but you never know until I can confirm that is working first in Windows.

#51 ruoverrated2 OFFLINE  

ruoverrated2

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

I've updated the build in the first post. We're taking a new approach and we're going to forget about mono and go straight to the newer, smaller, faster, .net core runtime. The installation should be a breeze now. If you've installed anything, please remove it, then try the new update. Thanks !

@vaise

@denz

@ruoverrated2

@dannieboiz

@JBDragon

@KaptSlo

Ok, uninstalled it and used the latest file 3.2.30.2. Installation was very fast now and I got the message that it was succesfully installed.
Installing some media now. Scanning the library (400 video files) seems to take quite long.

Edited by ruoverrated2, 31 August 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#52 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

It's normal for the first scan to take a little time, but should be faster after that. thanks.

#53 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1041 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 08:07 PM

Im going to have to shelve the NAS idea.  Mine is just not powerful enough to take on the recorded TV side of it - never mind adding emby on top.

I set 5 recordings to happen at the same time with dvblink, and I just watched a few, and they are stuttering a bit - so i guess there was issues recording the stream from the HDHomeruns.

So it I have to keep the main PC for NextPVR liveTv recordings anyway, i may as well also keep it doing the emby stuff on there.  I feel I have gone backwards to when I had my old low power CPU in my server - but since my I7, never had any issues with anything.

Maybe on the next NAS upgrade purchase I can re-assess.  The readynas 314 I guess is just not good enough.  It is a bit long in the tooth now.....

#54 KaptSlo OFFLINE  

KaptSlo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:09 AM

We're excited to announce Emby for NetGear ReadyNAS is now available for testing.

Installation

Ensure you're running ReadyNAS 6.8.0 or greater. If version 6.8.0 is not detected by "check for updates", it can be downloaded and installed via the admin interface:

Download one of the .deb files depending on the architecture of your NAS device. Please refer to https://github.com/R...upportedsystype if you don't know what architecture you're running.

2. Upload the deb for your architecture via the apps tab in the admin interface. A popup should appear to keep you updated on the installation progress.

3. When the installation is over, you should see Emby appear in the apps tabs on the admin interface, you can turn it on if it's not already and the launch button will take you to the install wizard.

@alucryd

Shouldn't the active link be "deb for amd x86-x64" ?

Or do we now use one installer for the both architectures? 

Edited by KaptSlo, 01 September 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#55 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 01 September 2017 - 08:40 AM

@KaptSlo Nah, it should be just x86_64 (or amd64, which is debian's name for x86_64). The armel package is not usable atm.

Edited by alucryd, 01 September 2017 - 08:40 AM.

#56 KaptSlo OFFLINE  

KaptSlo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

@alucryd, thanks for the clarification and update on the arm package.

#57 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137604 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

I've updated the build in the first post. We added support for image processing, which now means that Emby for ReadyNas is feature complete ! 

Please try it out and report your feedback. Thanks !

@denz

@vaise

@KaptSlo

@ruoverrated2

#58 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 09:44 PM

This is odd using edge I only get grey screen I tried restarting emby server still only grey screen tried different pc same result in chrome works perfectly. Restarted the nas still no go in edge attached log. 

59b346fbc7b6d_Capture.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by denz, 09 September 2017 - 03:42 AM.

#59 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 09 September 2017 - 04:12 AM

@denz Firefox has had the same issue for a while now, chrome seems the only one unaffected indeed.

#60 denz OFFLINE  

denz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 2168 posts

Posted 09 September 2017 - 05:41 AM

Thanks @alucryd for that. This could be a limitation of the NAS but if I play transcoded material on ipad and try to watch live tv on the rpi after few minutes the server stops responding. 

When you try to record a show as soon as it starts recording the server stops responding so it is same issue as in windows server with ffmpeg processers. 

59b3b7458be1e_Capture.jpg

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users