143 replies to this topic

#21 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138077 posts
  • Local time: 01:28 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:50 AM

It probably hadn't finished yet. That's one thing we've noticed is that the installer can take a bit of time and you can't tell if it's done or not.

#22 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts
  • Local time: 03:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:58 AM

ok - will give it another go tomorrow.

#23 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138077 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:07 AM

And by the way, Netgear has been responsive to us in terms of getting developer support, so we let them know about this issue of the installer appearing to hang, even though it hasn't.

#24 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:23 PM

OK - tried again.  This time I caught the last screens it was 'stuck' on - 'Installed libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil'.

It also throws up a message 'too many events to display. Check logs' earlier on in the process - but after the reboot, nothing in the logs to say what this was.

I waited over an hour, cant click OK on the message and a browser refresh shown no new app.

I rebooted the NAS (that's 2 reboots in 2 days - I have never ever rebooted it before myself).

No app shown.

V.

#25 SisyphusBond OFFLINE  

SisyphusBond

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 06:28 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:00 AM

I created a forum account specifically to report on this. I've never actually used Emby before, and was just notified that an app for ReadyNAS had been created so I thought I would try it out.

I can't get it to install at all. I have tried many times, and the best I managed to get seemed to result in the app appearing on the interface, but it wouldn't turn on. Most of the time I just get a message saying that it has failed to install.

I have a ReadyNAS 214 with OS 6.8.0 and a few other apps installed without problem. I'm trying to upload the ARM version via the web interface in Chrome from a Windows 10 laptop.

Edited by SisyphusBond, 20 August 2017 - 04:01 AM.

#26 dannieboiz OFFLINE  

dannieboiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:34 AM

been stuck @ this screen for 20 minutes. gonna let it sit for the rest of the night and check on it in the AM. 599e575be337c_Clipboard02.jpg

#27 dannieboiz OFFLINE  

dannieboiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

Let it sit all night never completed and nothing installed. 

#28 dannieboiz OFFLINE  

dannieboiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

Rebooted the NAS (RN4200v2) still nothing, so I tried to install the app again, first couple times it said it couldn't install it. Got side track then decided to give it one last try, it finally took the upload and did the install, but this time it went really fast then I immediately see Emby on the dash. Did a very basic configuration to test the interface and it seems to be skipping along. 

Going to see if I can transfer the settings from the existing server and switch everything over for testing. 

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138077 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

#30 ruoverrated2 OFFLINE  

ruoverrated2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 07:28 PM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

Ok, I tried it.  I have a Readynas 516 with the latest OS.

The first run the installer seemed to have stopped at: Preparing Libmono-system-data-services-client4.0-cil1.

I waited an hour, rebooted the Readynas and the app was not there. I got a message cannot install application emby-server.
The app icon did appear, but when I try to turn it on it simply did not work. I therefore removed it.

I then tried to reinstall it. This time the installer seemed to be stuck at: Installed libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil

I got the message cannot install application emby-server again. But this time I could see the app right away and turn it on.
I have installed several videos and it is working snoothly.  Awesome, thx!

#31 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Glad you got it working, thanks for the feedback. FYI, the next version will ship with the runtime included and will be free of this installation bug everybody is facing.

#32 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138077 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

I've updated the build in the first post. We're taking a new approach and we're going to forget about mono and go straight to the newer, smaller, faster, .net core runtime. The installation should be a breeze now. If you've installed anything, please remove it, then try the new update. Thanks !

@vaise

@denz

@ruoverrated2

@dannieboiz

@JBDragon

@KaptSlo

#33 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hi Luke,

I will give it a go shortly.

As emby never showed, I assume there is nothing to uninstall - not that I would know how to anyway.

V. 

#34 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Went straight in in < 1 minute this time, got the message 'installed successfully'.  App did not show however but a browser refresh and it shows, and says started.

Im not going to try a backup/restore here - seems a bit optimistic.

Im also not sure if my 314 NAS will do any good transcoding multiple streams - will test that.

@denz

Edited by Luke, 30 August 2017 - 01:59 PM.

#35 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138077 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:01 PM

Enjoy.

#36 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:26 PM

@Luke - Is there any reason why I cant run two emby's over the same libraries - one as a backend only that the roku's never connect to (on NAS) and one as a frontend only that the roku's use for actually viewing.

My thinking is the backend NAS Emby can do all the auto organising, meta data gathering etc but as its not powerful enough to do all the transcoding, have my normal system there just for the delivery of the media to the roku's.  The normal system is then asleep for the most of the time and the back end system is doing all the heavy lifting.

Edited by vaise, 29 August 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#37 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 138077 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:27 PM

Sure, but the would be two distinct servers with their own databases.

#38 KaptSlo OFFLINE  

KaptSlo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 AM

Posted 30 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

Waiting patiently for the arm version...  ;)

#39 vaise OFFLINE  

vaise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 1046 posts

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Just noticed one thing - the restart button in emby did not restart the server.  Waited a while, refresh over and over - but it never came back.  My media was still only up to 68% is why I did a restart.

I turned it off and on with the app control in readynas console to recover this.

#40 alucryd OFFLINE  

alucryd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLille, France

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:23 PM

@vaise Emby is managed as a unix service, this means you need sufficient privileges to start and stop it. The emby service is run as a standalone unprivileged user for obvious security reasons, this means it can't manipulate its own service (and no process should be able to manipulate its own service anyway, that's what init systems are for). So right now the restart button inside the server will do nothing, you need to restart it from Netgear's admin interface.

Now I understand people might find that restart button attractive, and there is a way to get it working on Netgear thanks to systemd, which they (rightly so) chose as their init system. It is possible to set up a systemd service to always restart when its process despawns, for whatever reason. If the emby process were to gracefully commit suicide, systemd would spawn a new process to replace it, ie the restart button need only make emby shutdown, and systemd would take care of the rest.

@Luke Thoughts?

Edited by alucryd, 30 August 2017 - 07:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users