Emby for NetGear ReadyNAS

Luke

dannieboiz

been stuck @ this screen for 20 minutes. gonna let it sit for the rest of the night and check on it in the AM. 599e575be337c_Clipboard02.jpg

dannieboiz

Rebooted the NAS (RN4200v2) still nothing, so I tried to install the app again, first couple times it said it couldn't install it. Got side track then decided to give it one last try, it finally took the upload and did the install, but this time it went really fast then I immediately see Emby on the dash. Did a very basic configuration to test the interface and it seems to be skipping along. 

Going to see if I can transfer the settings from the existing server and switch everything over for testing. 

ruoverrated2

Ok, I tried it.  I have a Readynas 516 with the latest OS.

The first run the installer seemed to have stopped at: Preparing Libmono-system-data-services-client4.0-cil1.

I waited an hour, rebooted the Readynas and the app was not there. I got a message cannot install application emby-server.
The app icon did appear, but when I try to turn it on it simply did not work. I therefore removed it.

I then tried to reinstall it. This time the installer seemed to be stuck at: Installed libmono-debugger-soft4.0a-cil

I got the message cannot install application emby-server again. But this time I could see the app right away and turn it on.
I have installed several videos and it is working snoothly.  Awesome, thx!

alucryd

Glad you got it working, thanks for the feedback. FYI, the next version will ship with the runtime included and will be free of this installation bug everybody is facing.

I've updated the build in the first post. We're taking a new approach and we're going to forget about mono and go straight to the newer, smaller, faster, .net core runtime. The installation should be a breeze now. If you've installed anything, please remove it, then try the new update. Thanks !

@@vaise

@@denz

@@ruoverrated2

@@dannieboiz

@@JBDragon

@@KaptSlo

vaise

Hi Luke,

I will give it a go shortly.

As emby never showed, I assume there is nothing to uninstall - not that I would know how to anyway.

V. 

vaise

Went straight in in < 1 minute this time, got the message 'installed successfully'.  App did not show however but a browser refresh and it shows, and says started.

Im not going to try a backup/restore here - seems a bit optimistic.

Im also not sure if my 314 NAS will do any good transcoding multiple streams - will test that.

@@denz

Edited by Luke

vaise

@@Luke - Is there any reason why I cant run two emby's over the same libraries - one as a backend only that the roku's never connect to (on NAS) and one as a frontend only that the roku's use for actually viewing.

My thinking is the backend NAS Emby can do all the auto organising, meta data gathering etc but as its not powerful enough to do all the transcoding, have my normal system there just for the delivery of the media to the roku's.  The normal system is then asleep for the most of the time and the back end system is doing all the heavy lifting.

Edited by vaise

vaise

Just noticed one thing - the restart button in emby did not restart the server.  Waited a while, refresh over and over - but it never came back.  My media was still only up to 68% is why I did a restart.

I turned it off and on with the app control in readynas console to recover this.

alucryd

@@vaise Emby is managed as a unix service, this means you need sufficient privileges to start and stop it. The emby service is run as a standalone unprivileged user for obvious security reasons, this means it can't manipulate its own service (and no process should be able to manipulate its own service anyway, that's what init systems are for). So right now the restart button inside the server will do nothing, you need to restart it from Netgear's admin interface.

Now I understand people might find that restart button attractive, and there is a way to get it working on Netgear thanks to systemd, which they (rightly so) chose as their init system. It is possible to set up a systemd service to always restart when its process despawns, for whatever reason. If the emby process were to gracefully commit suicide, systemd would spawn a new process to replace it, ie the restart button need only make emby shutdown, and systemd would take care of the rest.

@@Luke Thoughts?

Edited by alucryd

vaise

Im happy with it just being removed then - or the button just puts a message to use the NAS console to do this.

vaise

Still manually setting all this up - I cant for the life of me remember how the media folder 'images' are created as below from my existing system - i just have icons on my new NAS version :

59a75d6b66629_Capture.jpg

vaise

Any idea when the DVBLink plugin will be showing to be added to this NAS setup ?

I was wanting to check it out - see if it offers anything more that just a library view over its content - seeing as I dont use guide or liveTV within Emby - just watch recorded TV.

@@vaise Emby is managed as a unix service, this means you need sufficient privileges to start and stop it. The emby service is run as a standalone unprivileged user for obvious security reasons, this means it can't manipulate its own service (and no process should be able to manipulate its own service anyway, that's what init systems are for). So right now the restart button inside the server will do nothing, you need to restart it from Netgear's admin interface.

Now I understand people might find that restart button attractive, and there is a way to get it working on Netgear thanks to systemd, which they (rightly so) chose as their init system. It is possible to set up a systemd service to always restart when its process despawns, for whatever reason. If the emby process were to gracefully commit suicide, systemd would spawn a new process to replace it, ie the restart button need only make emby shutdown, and systemd would take care of the rest.

@@Luke Thoughts?

That might end up masking problems, so i'd prefer not to go that route unless we have a really good reason to.

vaise

Just for my education - how come sickrage's restart button in that app works ok ?  Why is that different ?

This instalation was straight forward had no errors this time. I have 312 and it is not powerful for transcoding enabled transcoding and the whole nas was unresponsive until the recording finished. I have recorded two shows without transcoding both playable and the server was still usable to browse and play music so great work. 

alucryd

That might end up masking problems, so i'd prefer not to go that route unless we have a really good reason to.

Acknowledged.

Just for my education - how come sickrage's restart button in that app works ok ?  Why is that different ?

Sickrage either has a mechanism that allows it to fully restart without killing its process, or it runs as a priviledged user and can manipulate its service, which is bad practice.

vaise

I can confirm transcoding on a 314 is not going to work.......

I set it to record a few TV shows in the background with DVBLink - Tried to watch one recorded TV show - so slow - aborted.  Initial load also slow.

Im sure a more modern NAS with multi core CPU's would be better.

Im thinking of separating the workloads however - 24/7 Backend stuff (LiveTV Recording, downloading, auto-organise etc) on the NAS, front end delivery to Roku's from the /normal' PC that can then be asleep most of the time.

I think there is an issue with transcoding I am testing the new. Core on Windows and while it is transcoding the server is unresponsive. I get same result using readynas I doubt it could transcode but you never know until I can confirm that is working first in Windows.