"Ask Emby" vs "Tell Emby"

lexisdude

lexisdude

This is what Alexa is hearing

Alexa heard: "ask n. b. to shuffle the album ultimate darkness"

but when I use the "tell" command ; it works fine

Alexa heard: "tell emby to shuffle the album ultimate darkness"

-

I have tested this on about 10 different phrases - all come up with n.b. on ask ; all come up with emby on tell

I had placement problems with emby cutting words out of sentences ; but have since gotten that worked out ; and will also be verifying that its being heard properly on amazon before posting any potential issues

Edited by lexisdude
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks for posting.

Alexa doesn't understand the word Emby. As a community, we will have to teach her it. Other users reported that after marking cards negatively in the alexa app when Alexa hears anything other than Emby, resolved the issue after a bit.

In my case, I've been working with the Emby skill since it's inception, she always understands Emby, regardless of the word in front. But the same became true for users that marked their Alexa card negatively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05
  • Like 1

Sammy

Wait.. REWIND..

You're talking about Alexa with Emby not working in the first post. I looked in the plugin catalog and there's nothing there but I've enabled the skill just now. Why wasn't there an email blast on this important addition to Premier Subscribers and long-time supporters of Media Browser, IE MB, Emby??

Angelblue05

Wait.. REWIND..

You're talking about Alexa with Emby not working in the first post. I looked in the plugin catalog and there's nothing there but I've enabled the skill just now. Why wasn't there an email blast on this important addition to Premier Subscribers and long-time supporters of Media Browser, IE MB, Emby??

Thank you for your interest. Emby with Alexa is not a server plugin. There will be an announcement made, the forum was created today. :)

Here is a bit more information for you and where to get the skill (US store only at the moment): https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/49740-how-to/

• Like 1

Sammy

I just saw you posted that. I just found it odd that the first I see of it is a question as if it had been around for a while. It was just random happenstance that I was even on the forum today and saw it. I'll take a look at that thread but was thinking, I need to load ET, turn on my TV and AVR with my Harmony first but then can tell Alexa to Play such and such movie or show, right? Looks like there's going to finally be a reason to upgrade from Harmony 900's to Harmony Hubs so I can integrate that part with Alexa too.. It's only money, right?

• Like 1

Angelblue05

I just saw you posted that. I just found it odd that the first I see of it is a question as if it had been around for a while. It was just random happenstance that I was even on the forum today and saw it. I'll take a look at that thread but was thinking, I need to load ET, turn on my TV and AVR with my Harmony first but then can tell Alexa to Play such and such movie or show, right? Looks like there's going to finally be a reason to upgrade from Harmony 900's to Harmony Hubs so I can integrate that part with Alexa too.. It's only money, right?

Yes there was an open beta, but you didn't miss much :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lexisdude

Ok... I get it now.. So if it is showing anything other than what I am wanting - I need to mark the card negative.. Im sorry if I sound oblivious to this - I really am :D

But im learning

Edited by lexisdude
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Ok... I get it now.. So if it is showing anything other than what I am wanting - I need to mark the card negative.. Im sorry if I sound oblivious to this - I really am :D

But im learning

Correct. That's why there's a forum. I will try to help best I can.

• Like 2

lexisdude

I didn't know it existed either - I stumbled on it and started using it yesterday. 

• Like 2

Swynol

This is what Alexa is hearing

Alexa heard: "ask n. b. to shuffle the album ultimate darkness"

but when I use the "tell" command ; it works fine

Alexa heard: "tell emby to shuffle the album ultimate darkness"

-

I have tested this on about 10 different phrases - all come up with n.b. on ask ; all come up with emby on tell

I had placement problems with emby cutting words out of sentences ; but have since gotten that worked out ; and will also be verifying that its being heard properly on amazon before posting any potential issues

i had huge issue when i first started with it. i would say 1 in 100 times it would work. Keep marking the cards as incorrectly heard and it does get better within a few days. 

Others mentioned that Begin Emby works the best, which also helped alot with me. I would say now after 2 weeks Emby starts 99 times out of 100, that one time the stupid NBA skill opens.

• Like 2

Swynol

Similar setup to me. i have a Harmony Hub. I start by saying Alexa, turn on movies. This turns my TV, AVR and HTPC on, puts them all on the right channels and loads Emby. Next i say Alexa, Begin Emby. She asks what do i want, i can then say whats new? show me the movie ..... or play the movie ......

i dont have to move from the sofa or find the remote. 

i can also control the volume by saying alexa, ask harmony to turn the volume up/down or mute. 

Edited by Swynol
  • Like 3

Sammy

Pretty soon nobody will move and we'll become literally a race of Coach Potatoes.. which reminds me, I need more new movies..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Pretty soon nobody will move and we'll become literally a race of Coach Potatoes.. which reminds me, I need more new movies..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You promise? Don't tease me, now.