Emby server crash during Sync

Shura

Hello, I can't seem to sync with my emby server, every time I try I get a failed sync or the server crashes.

Let me start from the beginning, I've been using the emby plugin on Openmediavault 2.x for more than an year and a half without issues. Recently my OMV server started getting some serious issues where I couldn't connect to emby or update any other addons. 

I decided to do a clean install of OMV since OMV3 is out and I was still running an older version; OMV3 doesn't have a emby plugin so I had to install emby using the Debian method. OMV3 installs fine, Emby using the debian method installs fine, the emby server starts fine. I use the webGUI for emby server to add my library(takes a couple of hours to add everything) and once everything is added, I connect to the server in Kodi using my emby connect login. Emby plugin in Kodi connects without an issue and Initial Sync starts; this is where things start to go wrong. Sometimes the sync says completed but majority of the files are not synced or only some files in the folder are synced. At other times the Sync says completed but I can't connect to the Emby server(in kodi), so I try to connect using the WebGUI and that too doesn't connect since it seems like the server crashed. I try to connect to the OMV3 WebGUI but that too has crashed. I need to manually power down and restart the server for both webGUI to come back up.

I've tried to go back to OMV2 but during the install process, I can't seem to connect to the internet through DHCP and automatic configuration fails. If I try to manually connect to the router, it does temporarily but disconnects again during the install process and can't finish the install. This problem doesn't exist when installing OMV3, DHCP and automatic configuration works fine.

I'm now stuck on OMV3 without a way to go back to OMV2 and unable to sync to the emby server on OMV3 without getting failed syncs or hard crashes. any help on this issue would be grateful, since I travel outside the country a lot, the server is my main connection to my files and media. Thank You.

System

CPU: AMD AM1 Athlon 5350

Motherboard: ASRock AM1B-ITX

Ram: 4GB

HDD: 160GB OS Drive

HDD2: 4TB Media Drive

Router: Asus RT-AC66U B1

* Router is connected to Modem using bridge/passthrough (only way to use router with my ISP modem)

Edited by Shura

Angelblue05

What are your setting for the emby for kodi addon? You can try to reduce the download threads to one and see if it makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, can you attach the emby server log? you can learn how to do that here:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

Thanks.

Hello, here is the log

In the log, I started the sync at  2017-08-07 00:06:42 and the crash seems to have happened at 00:06:57. As I'm not in the country atm, the timestamp after that is when I got someone to go physically restart the server, which was a few hours later. Thank You for all of your help.

P.S. Also just briefly looking at the log, there is mention of a "[Phone]Samsung Galaxy S7 edge/1.0" before the crash but I have no such phone connected to my server atm. The only devices connected to emby since I did a clean install of OMV is, my PC at home(same physical location as the sever). My PC here with me now, A desktop PC and my Asus Tablet through the android emby app; I was using the app to add files to the library after the clean install. Is it by chance reading my Asus tablet as a samsung galaxy S7?

server-63637660800.txt

There is a device on your network reporting a user agent of 

DLNADOC/1.51 SEC_HHP_[Phone]Samsung Galaxy S7 edge/1.0

Whether it is actually a Samsung Galaxy Edge or not is not something I can answer for you, but that is what it's putting in it's user agent.

As far as Kodi goes, have you considered trying EmbyCon? It's a new add-on that doesn't require any syncing and is available in the official Kodi add-on repository:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46651-embycon/

Tha

There is a device on your network reporting a user agent of 

DLNADOC/1.51 SEC_HHP_[Phone]Samsung Galaxy S7 edge/1.0

Whether it is actually a Samsung Galaxy Edge or not is not something I can answer for you, but that is what it's putting in it's user agent.

As far as Kodi goes, have you considered trying EmbyCon? It's a new add-on that doesn't require any syncing and is available in the official Kodi add-on repository:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/46651-embycon/

Thank You for the reply, I will look into the add-on you mentioned. I'm in a different country from where my OMV Server is, so it makes it hard to do any proper maintenance but looking at the log, before the Samsung Galaxy appeared, was there anything of concern? I know there are a few error messages and timeouts but I don't know what they mean.

Also since I last posted, I found out that my sister does in fact have a samsung galaxy s7 edge but says she only connects to WiFi and browses the net.  Could something on my router be causing the issue? If somehow the phone was the cause of the crash, wonder if having her connect to a guest network would resolve that issue. Just don't understand why the phone appeared in the emby log, she is not techsavy in any way and have no idea what "emby" even was when I asked her. Also she said she wasn't home at the time of the crash so wondering if there is some kind of residual data from her phone on the router causing issue. (randomly grasping at straws here, lol. Being half way across the world, with emby being the only access to my media, realizing just how plugged in I was now that the server has been down for a couple of days.)

Again any help or insight is much appreciated, I will also look into the add-on you mentioned. Also curious as to why the OMV server also went down when the crash happened. Thanks again for everything

There's nothing obvious in the log that would cause a crash. It is possible the sync process might just be hitting the server a little too hard and that's the only reason I suggested looking at the EmbyCon add-on.

There's nothing obvious in the log that would cause a crash. It is possible the sync process might just be hitting the server a little too hard and that's the only reason I suggested looking at the EmbyCon add-on.

Okay Thank You, I did take a look at it, It's a bit unfortunate there is no Emby Connect feature. The IP on the network the NAS is connected to tends to change a lot so Emby connect really helps with that. As for Sync hitting the server too hard, wonder whats causing it, my media library hasn't changed much in the last year and I have synced multiple times on OMV2 without a problem.

I'm sure in time we'll be able to get Emby Connect into the new add-on.  What about setting up a DDNS as a workaround in the meantime and connecting with that address?