Server Upgrade Info

pmt257

pmt257

Been an Emby user for almost 3 years.  Originally installed it on an older Core2Duo I had laying around.  Given the age and free price tag, that machine has been fairly faithful with 1-2 transcoding streams.

The family is growing, I'm starting to travel often for work, and we are getting symmetrical gigabit fiber in our area.  So I would like to upgrade the server and push toward the 4-6 transcoding streams plus 1-2 direct plays.  

I saw this post:  https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6rf9v0/plex_server_build_recommendation_470_16core_32/

For $500, this seems like a pretty killer build.  

A few questions: 

Will Emby utilize both processors?  I know transcoding has multi-thread support,  does this also apply to dual processors?

@@pir8radio Anyone using dual Xeons that can comment on support or Pros/Cons? @@Jdiesel

pir8radio

Been an Emby user for almost 3 years.  Originally installed it on an older Core2Duo I had laying around.  Given the age and free price tag, that machine has been fairly faithful with 1-2 transcoding streams.

The family is growing, I'm starting to travel often for work, and we are getting symmetrical gigabit fiber in our area.  So I would like to upgrade the server and push toward the 4-6 transcoding streams plus 1-2 direct plays.  

I saw this post:  https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/6rf9v0/plex_server_build_recommendation_470_16core_32/

For $500, this seems like a pretty killer build.  

A few questions: 

Will Emby utilize both processors?  I know transcoding has multi-thread support,  does this also apply to dual processors?

@@pir8radio Anyone using dual Xeons that can comment on support or Pros/Cons? @@Jdiesel

I only have a single xeon in my current server, and it does pretty well with transcoding.   I had 16 streams of various resolutions (not the best of tests) running concurrently (that post is on the forums somewhere I couldn't find it).  I would say if I had to start over with a fresh setup, I would choose a cpu with quicksync support, some xeon's now support quicksync I believe, But I would even consider going with a non xeon CPU if it had quicksync, for 4-6 streams I don't think you need dual CPU's.   I am personally now looking at some NVENC video cards to off load my transcoding from my xeon because my socket on my MB doesn't support any of the CPU's with quicksync...  I wish I had unlimited cash for an Nvidia P40 new (like $11k lol)...   But I'm looking to purchase a single Nvidia P2000 with hopes that I can add a second or third in the future.. Doubt I would need it (if what is being discussed in this thread is true), but really just doing it as a hobby build so I can say I can run XX HD transcodes  lol.

Edited by pir8radio

Swynol

its a difficult one. At the moment I run my server on an old i3 3420. using quicksync it can transcode 2-3 aslong as i stagger start them. Most my main devices direct play.

I have been looking at an upgrade for a while, I'm not sure yet whether to go xeon 8 or 10 core, or keep it lower powered and look at a newer i5 which has quicksync. Alternatively i have been keeping an eye on the Ryzen AMD stuff. if their lower powered chips which high amount of cores can transcode a decent amount of streams then i may head in that direction.