New user in need of serious assistance!

MzCinderella19

MzCinderella19

Hi,

I am a very new user and I've been looking around but can't seem to find the answers that I'm looking for. Basically I had a laptop that I used for everything, including an extensive Kodi library for TV and movies. I just bought a new laptop and have Kodi and everything else on it but I'm trying to basically import my library from the old laptop to the new and I was under the impression that Emby would help with this. I have set up the libraries and MOST of the shows and movies show on the new laptop's Kodi but nothing works when I click on it. And every show only has like 1 episode showing and even those don't work. I'm going nuts trying to fix this on my own!

Also, I don't understand what the 'optional network paths' means. I've read the whole wiki section and I gather that I need this in order to get the files to play in new Kodi but I just don't get it. Everywhere I've looked have given such short and basic examples that they really don't help me at all.

Lastly, do I need to keep the old laptop and Emby server open in order to watch the shows on new laptop?

If the above questions are answered somewhere already I do apologize, but can someone point me in the right direction here? I feel like I'm so close to getting this working, but just can't quite do it on my own...

Guest asrequested

As for importing from your laptop, I would connect them via a switch or your modem/router. Set up your shares, and copy them. But it sounds like you need to centralize your media, so you don't need to keep moving them around. How much data/media do you have?

MzCinderella19

I'm trying to retire the old laptop. Its ancient and runs at a ridiculously slow speed to do absolutely anything. Plus it seems to eat up all the WiFi. Meaning that when I'm streaming off it, every video is constantly buffering and it slows down the WiFi for any device that is using it whereas on the new laptop everything is instant and not a single video has buffered once oh and I had Kodi up on the old laptop and my boyfriend was downloading stuff in the other room and internet was fine. In the old Kodi I have saved in my library 145 unwatched movies and 555 TV shows both watched and unwatched.

Guest asrequested

My suggestion would be to move your media to a NAS or if you're not able to do that, at least use an external hard drive that you can connect to your router. That way you can use that as a centralized data store that you can point the server at. Then you won't have to worry about having to move them from one laptop to another. Eventually, you can expand to a NAS.

MzCinderella19

Thank you for your suggestion. I have decided I'm just going to do things the only fashioned way and add each individual video by cross referencing with my old laptop. I think I'll get rid of Emby. After all, the files in my Kodi library are just links to streams. Its going to suck and be a lot of time and work, but oh well.

Guest asrequested

That's a lot of work. If you get an external hard drive, you can just plug it in to the old laptop and copy the files. Then transfer them to wherever you want.

legallink

Have you already copied all the media over to the new laptop? If you have, then just install emby, create a library that points to your media folders, if you still want to use Kodi then just install the kodi plugin no you should be good to go. If it is all local media you don't need the network shares.