Question about mapped network drives

benbour
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

benbour

So this has happened 3 times before, but this time I can't seem to fix it. Basically all media Thumbnails are gone. This is the case on my phone, on windows, Xbox, and Roku. I can't actually play any media at all on the roku...I've rebooted the server multiple times and tried replacing all metadata and images via emby server. No difference. And all I get when trying to play something is a loading screen. Same behavior from my Android...Kodi works fine though.55887b24d81f67d54c18d4adf50a4cf5.jpgc9f846f70161fb0fea8431b8dd2f284d.jpg66b6394cf6c1ff48e348c469786bb15a.jpg6e970fc661c558b97c54682e3bf5969d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

benbour

I've also downloaded a movie that emby hasn't touched yet since this problem started (hasn't scanned in or had metadata downloaded for it)

benbour

Yeah it's all there if I manually look on any movie or TV folder

What did you do during the time of this log? it doesn't look like there's much activity here other than pulling up the server dashboard. can you browse to those screens and then attach the log? thanks.

benbour

Sure I can give you another...this is while I unsuccessfully tried to play a movie

benbour

Alright, this log was running while I browsed missing entries, tried to play a movie, tried to run a library scan.

here

benbour

You can also see snips of folders where new shows and movies aren't being picked up, I've also included a regular folder snip from the past which shows the metadata is present.

59854ce9efaf7_alone.jpg59854cf4e773a_madmax.jpg59854d17ae091_regular.jpg

• Solution

In any case, this looks like a problem. The server is unable to access your M: drive or your T: drive

2017-08-05 00:34:25.4597 Error App: Error validating images for C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default\Movies
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.26.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System
	System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'M:\'.

Are these mapped network drives? If so we highly discourage using these as windows will disconnect them during idle periods. Instead just setup your Emby library with the original network path.

Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

• Like 1

benbour

What do you mean exactly by the shows and movies aren't being picked up?

So a new episode or movie will download, get moved to my library and get renamed by sonarr of radarr respectively. Emby then usually detects the new content, scans the library and downloads metadata to the location of the new content.

Ok. We should not proceed any further until the errors in the log relating to accessing your M: and T: drives are resolved. So I would suggest starting with my advice above. Thanks.

benbour

Ok. We should not proceed any further until the errors in the log relating to accessing your M: and T: drives are resolved. So I would suggest starting with my advice above. Thanks.

Ahhhh yes that was the issue. Both network drives were disconnected. Playback is working again...although I wonder why Kodi was able to play stuff anyway? It uses direct paths just as the Roku does. I'm assuming the artwork will now come back after a refresh

Like you said, maybe Kodi was setup with the original network path instead of the mapped drive. If you do the same for Emby you shouldn't have any problems. Thanks.

• 2 years later...
teddybear75

In any case, this looks like a problem. The server is unable to access your M: drive or your T: drive

2017-08-05 00:34:25.4597 Error App: Error validating images for C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\root\default\Movies
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.26.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\Ben\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\System
	System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'M:\'.

Are these mapped network drives? If so we highly discourage using these as windows will disconnect them during idle periods. Instead just setup your Emby library with the original network path.

Let us know if this helps. Thanks.

Glad i read this. I have been having this problem myself, sometimes windows will seemingly disconnect the drives, but all it takes is one click on the drive mapped, and emby will work again.

Question: If i exchange mapped drive path with network path in the library, will i have to scan all media again within this library or does it just update the path and keep all the info/metadata etc without the need for a new scan? It still points to the same dir, so it should keep everything, or will it go online and search for every movie/tvshow again?

Edited by teddybear75

Glad i read this. I have been having this problem myself, sometimes windows will seemingly disconnect the drives, but all it takes is one click on the drive mapped, and emby will work again.

Question: If i exchange mapped drive path with network path in the library, will i have to scan all media again within this library or does it just update the path and keep all the info/metadata etc without the need for a new scan? It still points to the same dir, so it should keep everything, or will it go online and search for every movie/tvshow again?

Hi, yes it will have to scan again, although this will be reduced if you have local nfo and/or image files in your media folders. Once complete you'll be much better off this way.

teddybear75

Hi, yes it will have to scan again, although this will be reduced if you have local nfo and/or image files in your media folders. Once complete you'll be much better off this way.

As always, thank you for the quick reply Luke :)

teddybear75

One last question regarding this, should i add the network path 2 times?

Both in the "Folder" and the optional Shared network folder?

Example:

Folder: \\10.0.0.2\movies

Shared network folder: \\10.0.0.2\movies

Edited by teddybear75

One last question regarding this, should i add the network path 2 times?

Both in the "Folder" and the optional Shared network folder?

Example:

Folder: \\10.0.0.2\movies

Shared network folder: \\10.0.0.2\movies

No. not necessary.