Emby Server and Amahi install

mwkurt

mwkurt

Hello,

I want to try something other than Windows 7/emby as the basis for my media server. Have been looking and have decided to try Amahi as it looks pretty simple to install for someone with NO Linux experience at all. I tried registering in the Amahi forum to ask but was told that registrations for new users was closed. (Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling should I run into problems)...Anyway, there does not appear to be an Emby app in the Amahi app store, how difficult is it to install Emby onto Amahi, for someone with no Linux experience? Are there any instructions anywhere?

Thank you,M

Mark

mastrmind11

Hello,

I want to try something other than Windows 7/emby as the basis for my media server. Have been looking and have decided to try Amahi as it looks pretty simple to install for someone with NO Linux experience at all. I tried registering in the Amahi forum to ask but was told that registrations for new users was closed. (Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling should I run into problems)...Anyway, there does not appear to be an Emby app in the Amahi app store, how difficult is it to install Emby onto Amahi, for someone with no Linux experience? Are there any instructions anywhere?

Thank you,M

Mark

Forget Amahi.  Install Ubuntu as your server OS, which is pretty much designed for people with no linux experience.  Then install Emby, which is literally 3 commands on the command line.

fyrfyter33

Forget Amahi. Install Ubuntu as your server OS, which is pretty much designed for people with no linux experience. Then install Emby, which is literally 3 commands on the command line.

Agree with this. I run my Emby server in Ubuntu. I'm not a Linux person either. It was easy to install it and setup. I think there's a total of six or seven command line items I have to remember to update it. It's easy and it just works.

mwkurt

Have been reading the ubuntu manual and install guides. It looks fairly straightforward. Questions.....in order to share my media files with android devices (Shields) would I just load the Samba package? Also, on a reboot, would the shares and everything be the same as before a reboot?

Thanks,

Folks

fyrfyter33

Have been reading the ubuntu manual and install guides. It looks fairly straightforward. Questions.....in order to share my media files with android devices (Shields) would I just load the Samba package? Also, on a reboot, would the shares and everything be the same as before a reboot?

Thanks,

Folks

I didn't load any special package for sharing. Just setup Emby server and installed the Emby app on my fire tv.

mastrmind11

Thanks,

Folks

As long as your media is on the same box as Emby, you don't need to set up shares... Emby handles the stream when you connect a client to it.

mwkurt

Thank you all! One more question, is it possible to take the Emby db from my Windows install and transfer to a Ubuntu Emby install through an export or something?

otispresley

Hi, you should know that you can install both Amahi and Emby on Ubuntu, but Amahi tends to only support particular, older versions. I believe that Amahi currently supports Ubuntu 12.04, which is quite old but should still work fine. The current LTS version is 16.04. You can have both Amahi and Emby on the same box, but they will be 2 separate user interfaces. One advantage of Amahi is greyhole for drive pooling.

As for your question, I believe you may be able transfer all your settings, but the metadata cannot be transferred, unless it is stored with the media files. Try using the Server Backup plugin in Emby to backup on Windows and restore on your Linux install...not sure this will work as I have not tried it myself...it is worth a shot.

I personally use StableBit DrivePool on a Windows machine for file storage and have Emby running on an Ubuntu Server 16.04 VM with CIFS mounts to the Windows machine, which is also hosting the Hyper-V that the VM is running on. I hope this helps!

Edited by otispresley

mwkurt

So...I spent a day and a half trying to install Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS, actually tried to install 3 different times and could not get it to boot to the command prompt either time. I kept getting messages like this "os: clean, 291272/4292608 files, 480345/18174432". From what I understand that is a normal startup message, happens to quite a few people, and is the result of a bug with Linux going back a while, but the message just stayed on the screen and would never go to the prompt. Not knowing anything about Linux and Ubuntu, this can be very frustrating as the install is supposed to be for those of with no experience. I also figured out that I had an SMBus driver that wasn't installed (UNCLAIMED) during the install. Was thinking that could be my problem but could not find any information on how to install the proper driver, or even if there was a driver. I tried following numerous youtube videos and websites on completing this, but just couldn't get it to go. Appreciate all of the help you guys have given me! Hey, if there is anyone in the Spring Hill area of Florida willing to help a guy out, let me know. I am always up to try again.

Thanks,

Mark

Edited by mwkurt

otispresley

I assume you were trying to install Ubuntu Desktop? Try the options for Test memory and Check CD for defects first to make sure your system memory and installation disk are good. If you choose Try Ubuntu then it will boot to a desktop and let you try it out before installing it. This is a good way to know if it will work on your system before installing anything. There are any number of problems that could cause a hang during boot from grub configuration to hardware issues to unsupported hardware. That part of Linux is far from easy to diagnose. If you can't use Try Ubuntu, then installing won't work either.