How to keep the emby server stopped?

fbm224
Go to solution Solved by Jdiesel,

fbm224

Hello,

As in the title, I want the server not to start by default. and then start it manually when I need it.  (Version 3.2.26.0 / ubuntu 16.04/ mint 18.2)

Thank you.

fbm224

Isn't there a way to stop it? I really don't want it running all the time. Most of the time that the computer is on, I wont be using it. 

Hi, have you tried clicking the "Shutdown" button on the front page of the emby server dashboard? That should do the trick.

• Solution
Jdiesel

Running 

sudo systemctl disable emby-server.service

should prevent the systemd from running at startup. You can then run

sudo service emby-server start

to start the server manually. Any updates to Emby will likely re-enable the systemd.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
Rumbaar

Hi, with our packages this is default behavior.

Hi, have you tried clicking the "Shutdown" button on the front page of the emby server dashboard? That should do the trick.

Has this changed?  As I can't seem to get the server to shutdown and stay down after clicking "Shutdown" in the GUI.  It just starts back up again.

What is the best way to gracefully shutdown an EMBY service running on Ubuntu, for a reboot or maintenance?

dcrdev

It's because the service is configured as always restart - I've mentioned this to @@Luke 3/4 times now. The shutdown isn't going to work within Emby itself - systemd will start it back up again instantaneously.

You can copy the service to /etc/systemd/system, edit it and then systemctl daemon-reload - that'll override the behaviour and persist through updates.

• Like 1

Actually we've already made some changes and it should be perfect with the next release, thanks.

• Like 2

Rumbaar

Actually we've already made some changes and it should be perfect with the next release, thanks.

Sweet, as long as we can bring it back up again easy enough.