Poll: Which device would you buy/recommend?

Jdiesel

Which device would you buy/recommend?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which device would you buy/recommend?

• Xbox One S
    • Nvidia Shield TV

Jdiesel

I had someone ask me what device I would recommend as a single all-in-one device for their living room. I typically would say "Get the Shield TV" but starting thinking that maybe the Xbox One S is the better deal. If you could to have only one device hooked up to your display what would you choose? Post your reasoning.

Jdiesel

I voted for the Shield TV because gaming is low priority and refreshrate switching is high priority to me. That being said the Xbox One S has a Bluray drive and uses the ET interface which are huge +'s in my book.  

CBers

I have both devices, but the ATV app is more mature than ET, so the Shield TV every day.

In the future the apps will no doubt be pretty equal.

BAlGaInTl

I'm not big in to gaming on my main TV, so I say Shield TV. The fact that I can stream games from my PC is a bonus though.

• 2 weeks later...
legallink

If price point is an issue, and gaming isn't a need, I think you should open the voting options up to more lower priced devices.  We've had Roku, Chromecast, and Apple TV and recommend them all day (although Apple TV wins the WAF factor).

Jdiesel

If price point is an issue, and gaming isn't a need, I think you should open the voting options up to more lower priced devices.  We've had Roku, Chromecast, and Apple TV and recommend them all day (although Apple TV wins the WAF factor).

I actually started a poll like that last year

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/44756-what-is-your-preferred-emby-client-what-emby-client-is-used-the-most-on-your-server/?hl=client

I was just currious between the the Xbox and the Shield TV because they were similarly priced. Based on a few posts I've read this week I think the Shield TV is the winner.

• 2 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

I have both the Xbox One and a Shield. I am not a huge gamer, but I do play every now and then. For everyday use it's the Shield TV Device all the way. I have only had very few random issues with playback on the Shield with the Apps that I use. However, on the Xbox I have issues more frequently with the main Apps I use. 

• 1 month later...

Personally i like the amazon fire tv. Its under a hundred $ and extremely user friendly. The only part that annoys me is having to deal with the amazon store, trying to get google play on mine now, because screw amazon telling me what i can have on my fire.

I own an Xbox one, and it is the pits.. :(

Nothing but trouble, and a lot of my media transcodes due to the ac3 acc audio limitations.

Where as the shield won't have those issues.

Also, I bet the beautiful emby theater will actually run in a shield, because it does not run on Xbox...

Edited by chef

Jdiesel

I own an Xbox one, and it is the pits.. :(

Nothing but trouble, and a lot of my media transcodes due to the ac3 acc audio limitations.

Where as the shield won't have those issues.

Also, I bet the beautiful emby theater will actually run in a shield, because it does not run on Xbox...

That is disappointing to hear. For what is essentially a Windows PC the Xbox seems like it has a lot of wasted potential. Hopefully Microsoft releases a major update with fixes and more supported formats.

SikSlayer

If Blu-Ray/UHD Blu-Ray is important to you, then get the Xbox One S.

Otherwise, get the Nvidia Shield.