Differences between Web playback (Through Safari) and IOS app Playback

jscoys

jscoys

Hi,

I'm experiencing a weird behavior with IOS App for video playback. I play a movie from Web App (Through Safari) and IOS App :

*** All my tests done from outside my local network with last IOS App version and Server Version 3.2.26.6 beta from a good stable WIFI connection (20 Mb/s down, 12 Mb/s up), on server side I'm 120 Mb/s down, 20 Mb/s up. I have an Iphone 6 running with last IOS version. The movie I try to watch is typical, H264 1080p, AC3 ***

- On Safari

- Playback is fine, Auto selected

- Playback is fine, 144p or 240p

- On IOS app

- Playback is stuttering even at 144p! It buffers every 10 seconds for 5 seconds

- Auto doesn't help

It's not really scientific what I will say, but it seems that something in the IOS App is draining a lot of bandwidth during the playback. To support this hypothesis, I tested on LTE (4G) and the playback was steady BUT after 20 minutes of playback I received an SMS from my cellular provider saying I busted my amount of cellular data over 90%. Before the playback, it remained 5.5 Gb, after only 280 Mb...

Here are the logs : https://expirebox.com/download/9c634a34813a9c6560efe1660cb6e790.html

Before saying it's an outside connection problem : how can you explain that with Web app it's working well?

The next test I can do is from inside my home. But I wouldn't be able to detect problems of "over-bandwidth" the app is generating because I've got a good Wifi (AC)...

Honestly, I can use Web app from Safari, but IOS App is more fancy ;-)

Edited by jscoys