FR - Move camera uploading to plugin

dcook

dcook

Please remove camera uploading from Emby Server and have it as a plugin, this way users who want this feature can choose to have it.

• Like 1

dcook

Because this kind of "feature" should be optional and installed via plugin, not in the core Emby Server code.

It has nothing to do with Emby purpose of being a Media Server

BAlGaInTl

Because this kind of "feature" should be optional and installed via plugin, not in the core Emby Server code.

It has nothing to do with Emby purpose of being a Media Server

I would have to disagree, or at least we disagree on the definition of "Media" and "Server."

The easy to use and balanced feature set of Emby is what makes it such a great media server.  Why overcomplicate things for 99% of users who would be turned off by having to install/configure a bunch of plugins?

I hate to sound rude, but perhaps your use case is one in which you should consider forking the project to meet your minimal needs?

• Like 4

dcook

Nothing wrong with having all these features but they should not be in the core server code, they should be plugins so users can choose what they want.

BAlGaInTl

Nothing wrong with having all these features but they should not be in the core server code, they should be plugins so users can choose what they want.

I get that this is the way you think.  From reading your posts, there are very few things that you consider "core."  <sarcasm>Perhaps all of the metadata and transcoding algorithms and code should moved to plugins too?  That is probably where a lot of the overhead is in the core system</sarcasm> :)

All joking aside... you don't answer my original question:

Why overcomplicate things for 99% of users who would be turned off by having to install/configure a bunch of plugins?

• Like 1

pünktchen

I'm only using Emby for metadata management, so can the streaming/playback part be moved to a plugin?!

Happy2Play

Who will maintain this plugin?

Looks like all these requests are spammed with the same responses. :lol: 

lexisdude

The majority I think want to maintain the all-in-one integration style of Emby - that is after all one of the things that sets it apart to let say; plex or kodi. On/off toggles perhaps - but making all non-essentials modular? Id just as quickly go with plex or kodi which is why I avoid them. Too many modules / packages / libraries to follow up on - too many db rebuilds due to dirty scripting .. who has more spare time to work with that

• Like 1

Dibbes

Can you not just hide this from users under the Users -> access tab? 

I mean for memory/resource usage this wouldn't really matter all that much, it's a few kb. If you need to knibble on resources that much that this would matter, I'd suggest upgrading your server...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
anderbytes

Can you not just hide this from users under the Users -> access tab? 

I mean for memory/resource usage this wouldn't really matter all that much, it's a few kb. If you need to knibble on resources that much that this would matter, I'd suggest upgrading your server...

@@Luke and @@ebr, I'd like to complement with one idea.

One thing that bugs me (and, I believe, some other people that don't use those "plus" features), is that fact that even if we hide Camera Upload, Live TV (non-US folk) or other stuff in Access tab, they still appear as an active feature in Server Dashbord left panel.

What do you think of letting us hide (and reorder) all stuff in dashboard left panel?

And more...  now that Auto-organize is a plugin, please only show it in dashboard left panel if the plugin is installed.

Thanks!

ps: if you want a idea on "how to hide and make it look good", see an app for Android called "Piktures", it's a image gallery that has a nice thing to hide libraries.

Edited by anderbytes

And more...  now that Auto-organize is a plugin, please only show it in dashboard left panel if the plugin is installed.

Yes - the menu item will eventually go away if you don't have it installed, but for now it will stay for a little while so that people can learn how to add the feature.

• 2 weeks later...